Thread: The smell... American 3-29 + 3-30

Default The smell... American 3-29 + 3-30

If you fish for kokanee much you know they have a pungent unique to Kokanee aroma. Well the last few days on American the smell has been nasty! Not the sweet smell of Kokanee success the smell of rainbows. They must have just plugged that thing full of those nasty things. With the size of the Kokanee in February I was kinda thinking a really down year... I sooooo hope Im wrong! But with the recent hours I have put in Im thinking the prediction is spot on. There are not many lower Puget Sound lakes that produce trophy Kokanee we should push to get less of these Kokanee gobbling rainbows clogging up the Lake! So my report is as follows..

Water temp 48-50

Truck Loads of Rainbows and bunch of debri in the water

Please come and fill your cooler with rainbows giving the Kokanee of the future a chance!

That is my fear as well.. those temps are getting close
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Yea, in two to three weeks we will know how things are going to shape up for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by kokanee_slayer View Post
    Yea, in two to three weeks we will know how things are going to shape up for the season.

water is at 51 degrees.. should be soon :)
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Quote Originally Posted by eenakoK View Post
    water is at 51 degrees.. should be soon :)
    Ready For the smell and the taste any time now....

Sorry for my ignorance....52 is the "good" temp line correct? What is the temp range you look for...52-??? Thanks.

BTW: I spoke with Tom P. down at sportco last week about Kokanee fishing as it's new to me and Im sucking up all the info I can get...and if you know Tom you know he is a WEALTH of information.
    He told me that the biologist that covers american was saying that this year is expected to be very poor numbers wise. the test netting (I guess they do that???) only came up with a few fish.

This is what I was told...I know nothing about this so I had to take him at his word (which is usually gold).
    Is this similar information that you all are hearing about american this year?????

Seems to reason...if there will be a small number of Kokanee...the ones that are there should get Big...or am I wrong?

Sorry for my obviously rookie questions.
    Last edited by KokeRook; 04-06-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typo

They did electro shocking and some netting last year. The fish were big but not plentiful like the 2 years previous. There were not a lot of smaller fish caught last year so it may be sparse this year. For a new person that would not be a good place to start since you wouldn't know if it were lack of fish or you not doing something right.

That will put a damper on the kokanee derby that Gig Harbor PSA for members is putting on in May.

Sorry for my ignorance....52 is the "good" temp line correct? What is the temp range you look for...52-??? Thanks.
    It's been my experience that at 54 degrees the Kokanee action really starts to ramp up. As for the Kokanee fishing at American this year, I agree with Toni and the others. My expectations are low as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kokanee_slayer View Post
    It's been my experience that at 54 degrees the Kokanee action really starts to ramp up. As for the Kokanee fishing at American this year, I agree with Toni and the others. My expectations are low as well.
    thank you very much for the help and info...and yes I'm taking notes. :)

Is ~54 DEG the surface temp or at a certain depth range. Like KokeRook, I too am new to Kokanee and this year I plan on gaining knowledge and fish, any advice I can suck up is to all our advantage.

Thanks to all of you for the info on American, as it was going to be one of my destinations this year. Now I may just forgo it......I'd go to clean out the trout too, but that doesn't drive me to go that much.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by NickelsWorth View Post
    Is ~54 DEG the surface temp or at a certain depth range. Like KokeRook, I too am new to Kokanee and this year I plan on gaining knowledge and fish, any advice I can suck up is to all our advantage.

Thanks to all of you for the info on American, as it was going to be one of my destinations this year. Now I may just forgo it......I'd go to clean out the trout too, but that doesn't drive me to go that much.

Brad
    Not to hijack but feel free to pm me about some other lakes. I also live in puyallup and fish close by.

Kokanee prefer water temps at ~ 54 degrees and this doesn’t necessarily have to be the surface temp. With the lakes I typically fish, Kokanee become active when the surface temp hits 54. As the season progresses and the surface temps rise, Koks start moving down in the water column to find their preferred water temp. Every lake is a bit different but this is my general rule of thumb. There are some VERY good anglers on this site and it’s a great forum for picking up tips and pointers. A good Fish Finder and Downriggers are almost a must to be effective at Kokanee Fishing. Below is a link to another site which should provide some useful techniques.
    http://www.fishwithgary.com/kokaneeuniversity.html

Thanks for the explanation and the reference website, kokanee_slayer. That website has great info! Scrminbanshee, I will do so, may not be immediately, but I will get a hold of you for lake info. I live near Thun Filed, so as you know, right down the road is Clear Lake. I haven't fished it for Kokes yet, but plan to this season. I've been to Alder. This week I am doing a boat shake down at Cushman over off of Hood Canal - if I catch fish, I may give a report! Heh-Heh! I am curios about the other opportunities around here though.

Thanks!