Thread: How much is a 9.9 kicker installed?

Default How much is a 9.9 kicker installed?

Plan on getting a kicker put on the boat. Need a merc 9.9 with remote steering and throttle control. Also want the electric start and electric trim. What is a reasonable price to pay to have this and a bracket, along with all the needed hardware???? I am getting told by the dealer it is around 5800 to 5900.... anyone else throw up a red flag at that amount?

Eldon,
    Sounds pretty close to right numbers. As I retired 2 years ago, I have not priced a kicker lately. It was around $3500 for just the kicker. The cost of controls, Ignition harness, and control cables could be $1000. I have no idea of what kind of bracket you are using, but cheap poorly made brackets cost $300. And some cost easily $1000. It does add up.

Mercury brand 9.9hp motors are made by Tohatsu. Both motors are the same except the Tohatsu is cheaper. The internet shows a new 4 stroke Tohatsu with remote control for a little over $2,800. They don't show it as having trim and tilt which may not come on such a small motor. Why do you want it for a Kicker anyway? Set the trim at vertical and call it a day. They're not that hard to just grab and tilt up and some brackets have a spring system that helps lift the motor. Tilting your kicker up and then pounding across the waves puts a lot of stress on the motor's brackets where raising the bracket and having the motor in a down and locked position is less so. Since cost seems to be a consideration, save it on any trim and tilt options.
    As far as brackets for a kicker I can't imagine paying 1,000$ for one. Check Cabela's. An expensive one is $400 and if you don't need one to have a raise and lower feature they make very good solid cast aluminum motor mounts for sail boats that work great and look factory issue. Get one that is compatible with your boats material to avoid galvanic corrosion.

When you say, "remote steering and throttle control", do you just mean controlled at the helm or are you looking for anywhere on the boat control like a TR-1 system? Those are 3 grand just by themselves.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

There are some brackets out there that raise your motor with a hydraulic piston. they are expensive. Merc's 9.9 can be had with a Tilt option. It can not be used as a trim. It is not strong enough. As far as manually tilting it, not if you have a bad back. Most wives won't be able to do it.

I've never seen a remote controlled model that didn't have the tilt/trim button both at the helm and on the engine.

Look at the Garelick Model 71090 S.S. aux. motor bracket. It's made for heavier 4 stroke motors up to 169 pounds and has a spring system to help lift the motor. My experience with such brackets is that if your motor is much lighter than the max you actually have to push it down to lock it in place and if at the max weight you then have to pull it up but with the springs doing most of the work. It sells for about $244. They make a bracket for motors up to 175 pounds that would have heavier springs but if you want everything to be push button and electrical it's going to cost more.
    Also like Super D said if you' get a separate binnacle for the motor(remote control?) it will have any trim and tilt functions.
    It sounds like your mind is made up anyway and you want to be told you're not getting too much of a hosing.

Yamaha are running with electric start and tilt close to $3,100 installed merc and honda ARE CHEAPER/ The tRI SYSTEM gold last time I checked was around $2800.00/ I paid 2700.00 for my Yamaha 9.9 / 2 yrs ago installed. Hope this help

Are there two types of merc kickers? (e.g. Pro kicker vs. reg .9.9 hp outboard).

Need it to be remote because it is on the back of pontoon. When I say remote, at the helm, or with a corded control box would work as long as we can control throttle and steering without reaching over the rail. When I say trim, I meant tilt, so no one has to bend over the side rail of the pontoon and fall in the lake. Also, some of the manual tilt holders (Nissan that I know of) will fall when cruising in bad chop. I thought the electric one would mitigate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Are there two types of merc kickers? (e.g. Pro kicker vs. reg .9.9 hp outboard).
    Yes there are two types of Merc 4 stroke kickers. The standard 9,9 4 stroke kicker has a gear case just like the 8 hp 4 stroke. The Pro 9.9 4 stroke has the same gear case as a 25 hp 4 stroke. It has a bigger case, bigger gears and more gear oil. Gear ratios are different and prop sizes are different.On a small light boat the standard model is good. On a heavy boat the pro kicker is better.

This may help you cut through the cloud of opinions on what's available in the mercury line. Note that the 8 HP does not offer helm (remote) controls. You could add panther steer and trollmaster or tr1, but you won't have remote electric choke from the ignition key, which will be real important on cold days. From what you describe with the reach on the pontoon and all....you will need the remote helm controls.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/compare...ompare=7,8,9,6

Yamaha also makes great kickers. As do others. Do a compare

Elden, in order to get the most cost effective remote steering, you'd try to mount the kicker in close proximity to the main motor and use a tie bar between the 2 motors. Is that something that you think could be accomplished? Can we get a picture of the back of your pontoon?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Elden, in order to get the most cost effective remote steering, you'd try to mount the kicker in close proximity to the main motor and use a tie bar between the 2 motors. Is that something that you think could be accomplished? Can we get a picture of the back of your pontoon?
    No pictures as the boat is ordered and will arrive in late May. The cross bar option is not in the cards cause reaching over to connect and disconnect would cause me to go for a swim. Also, that setup was on the father in laws old boat and he hated it. Drop it in the water and the day of fishing is over.

Don't understand your concerns. Mine went on when I bought my boat and has never come off.

I was about to say what SuperD just said. I use a bar on my big boat and put it on when I launch and take it off when I retrieve the boat at the end of the trip. If you rig it right all it does is make the kicker move when it's either tilted up or the bracket is lifted. There are various ways to do it without dropping anything or falling out of the boat/pontoon. Since you own the bar it's OK to attach a line to it to prevent its loss should you drop it but if your mind is made up about a certain system, it's made up.

I am a Yamaha fan and think they are a better fit on bigger boats and switched from a merc 9.9 I bought new. I have the tr-1 and wouldn't buy a boat with out it but if you don't need the auto pilot but need every thing Else than the troll master pro 3 might be worth looking at.http://www.marinetechproducts.com/pa...ollMasterHome/. I don't know how pricey they are installed but you can ask who ever is installing your Eng. dfly

I checked the usual sources and found this for $3400

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15hp-MERCURY...ht_3295wt_1104

I run a 15 hp kicker on my Lund - great motor!!!
    Leave No Man Behind !!

Not a bad price on the motor. However he needs a remote control motor. that motor can be changed over, but the kit is not free. Also if you don't feel like you can do it, it will cost another $100 or so for labor. Then come the cost of remote controls and their installation.

I have had both, the Yamaha 9.9 outboard and the Yamaha T8 kicker with electric start and power TILT currently on the boat. It has a bigger four blade prop turning slower than the standard 9.9 outboard. It will troll a lot slower than the standard 9.9 I had before. It also has a lot of push if the wind is blowing (pontoons need a lot of push for steerage). Love that motor. The TR1 Autopilot is the way to fly if it is in the budget. You could get it without the electronic throttle if you wanted to save some money. However the electronic throttle allows for fine adjustments to get to precise trolling speeds and it's all on the remote fob for control from anywhere in the boat. Hope that helps. Alan

i run a remote troll brand steering plate with my 9.9 yamaha,and a trollmaster kit for the throttle control.the remote troll with wireless controller is about 800 bucks the remote throttle was a 150 from cabelas.motors are what ever they cost 5k sounds high.