Thread: fish finders

Default fish finders

it seems that hummingbird has more device connectability,like cannon down riggers,trolling motors, and they seem to have come out with the stucture scan capabilities first,although my info or time line could be off on that,but i'm pretty sure they had it first.
    i know that most fisherman ,including my self have lowrance,an older model lms 520c.
    ive been considering getting a new one for the back of my boat so when im trolling i dont have to keep turning around to check my position and depth
    the quetion is lowrance or hummingbird, i thought i would put it out for some second opinions,i know furuno also has some models but from what ive seen they are a bit pricey.
    so i put it out to my fellow kokanee friends for advice

I used to lowrance but after a couple of bad models as far as reliability issues, I switched to Humminbird. I love the gps feature and I have yet to get a false reading like what was occuring with my lowrances. I have had this fish finder for 4 years and I am looking to get the one with bottom scan. I just can't justify replacing a perfectly good finder for something with a little more bling.

The Furunos are worth every penny. None of them are what I would call cheap. Spending fish finder kind of money and not loving it sucks. I've made the less expensive choice a few times and hate myself afterwards every time. If one buys the Lowrance or the Humminbird, they really need to spend the money for the Airmar transducer so they are getting all that the unit is designed for rather than a detuned unit.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I have the 585 furuno/ airmar combo and it is pricy and a dedecated fishfinder only, but for me is worth it. it has one of the largest and clearest screens out there and you can see it from the rear of the boat I also have a garmin for a chartplotter and back up fishfinder I have not used any other brand, but the new hummingbirds look interesting especialy there compatibility with other products I dont know about there charts especialy the lakes I feal garmin is better there. but keep asking and get the best you can afford, and remember if you can't find them you can't catch them

I've had the Humminbird 777c2 with the QuadraBeam transducer for a few years now. We run it mostly dual beam but have the option of going to 4 beams for more coverage if needed. For a mid priced unit it works well and has no trouble locating fish. I can track the downrigger balls depth and can even see the lead jigs at depth when stationary jigging. Here's some info on the transducer...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=oEm8s_TTTIs
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 01-23-2013 at 07:22 PM.

I have the lowrance HDS 5x Gen 2 that i just picked up and i cant believe i was using a "cheaperish" finder for my first few years and this one is still midrange at $499. next is to buy the structure scan option with the tax return and gonna be a fish slayer

Tax return? What's that?
    God bless.

Benefit s of having kids and a stay at home wife. I get to claim all of then :)

Well i have been searching for the last couple of months on a new sounder/chartplotter. I had a cheap model and i felt that it was time to upgrade. I wound up going with the lowrance elite 7 hdi. I used it today for the first time and have to say that the down imagining is awesome i also really like how big the screen is on it. I would highly recommend it to anyone. This thing ROCKS!