Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Important message for all new (and veteran) Kokanee information

Default Important message for all new (and veteran) Kokanee information

This topic was broached in another thread on the Idaho board. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they are new to boat ownership, to include boat ramp etiquette and I am going to avoid generalizing (just this once) that all boat ramp follies can be attributed to water maggots (water skiers and wakeboard boats) and plain old arrogance.

I offer the following because it is not even half way through march, and in 2 outings this early in the season I have witnessed first hand that the boat ramp follies have begun but even more concerning is that there are fellow fisherman participating in the lunacy.

My intent is to offer the following in an attempt to create a more enjoyable experience for everyone that wants to use our incredible resources we have in this great state.

Do: Please utlize areas away from the ramp to prepare for your launch. This includes removing your covers, tie downs, putting in plugs, loading your boat with tackle, clothes, food, coolers, etc, etc

Dont: Back your boat down the ramp, to the water, and then start loading items from your vehicle into the boat, removing covers, tie downs, etc

Do: Once your boat is in the water and if you are by yourself, and your boat is aluminum, please move it to a section of shoreline, and beach it while moving your vehicle to a parking spot. To tie your boat to the dock, blocking others from utlizing the ramp until you park your rig and walk back down is bad form.

Dont: Don't do the above if you have a fiber glass boat and you are by yourself. It's not worth it. People must understand and be patient. If you can tie to the dock, but as far away as possible so the ramp can continue to be utilized, then good on ya!

Do: If you do have others with you, then there is absolutely no reason to block the dock/ramp with your boat while parking the rig. The boat should be moved away, allowing others to load/unload while you or other members of your party park the vehicle/trailer.

Do: Park your vehicle and trailer away from the ramp so others can have free and clear access.

Don't: Park your vehicle and/or trailer sp close to the ramp that it requires all others to use absolute precision to back their boat in the water. Not cool.

Do: If you see someone who is having problems loading/unloading, it is better to offer help than sit there and get angry.

Don't: Tie your 14 foot aluminum boat to the side of dock, blocking it's use while you walk up and get your rig. That boat could have been tied at the end of the dock allowing others to continue unloading/loading. Not cool!

Don't: When taking your boat out of the water, do not unload items from your boat, tie down, remove plugs, etc on the ramp. Proceed to an area designated for this activity that is far away from the ramp. Again, taking items out of your boat, attaching tie downs, putting covers on is not appropriate activity on the ramp.

And finally, those who have owned boats for a long time know that things can go wrong, and not every boat will start right up everytime. Things break, and everyone has to learn some time so this is not an assualt on newbies. I extend the olive branch every chance I can at the boat ramp to those in need. I do understand the need for patience and when it should be applied.

I hope the above is helpful and again, not trying to offend anyone.

Regards
    MG

Thank you, well said...

Shouldn't have to be said, but seems like some need the etiquette reminder every year. Some folks never get it no matter what. Thanks for the early season reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by metalheadgene View Post
    Do: Once your boat is in the water and if you are by yourself, and your boat is aluminum, please move it to a section of shoreline, and beach it while moving your vehicle to a parking spot. To tie your boat to the dock, blocking others from utlizing the ramp until you park your rig and walk back down is bad form.

Dont: Don't do the above if you have a fiber glass boat and you are by yourself. It's not worth it. People must understand and be patient. If you can tie to the dock, but as far away as possible so the ramp can continue to be utilized, then good on ya!
    MG
    All good information but don't quite understand the reasoning behind that ^ one.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 03-18-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Its very simple to me Silver...An aluminum boat can easily handle being beached on the sand were as a fiberglass boat will get scratches and damage to the hull from beaching....the best case scenario is the latter anyway...pull your boat around the dock by hand until its clear of the loading/unloading zone so others may continue to do their thing....I however have an older boat for just that reasoning...I don't want to have to worry about a scratch or rub on my hull so I bought an older boat....I figure ii my boat is to be pretty much solely used for fishing...I will inevitably get hooks in the upholstery, blood all over the place, etc...so why have something nice that you'll freak out over such things...seems impractical to me...

If there is a group, I've never understood why the guy that can drive the boat is the one moving the truck to the parking lost. Back the boat up 30 yards off the ramp and simply pick up the driver when he comes down to the end of the dock. When I see 4 guys standing on the dock holding the rope waiting, I don't get it.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

You guys make valid points, but not everyone has a crap boat that they don't care about how it looks or if they beach it on the rocks. And not everyone knows how to run a boat, but they are qualified to hold the rope. If I have to wait for some shytstain to prep his boat at the bottom of the ramp, the rest can wait while I (the boat captain) park the truck/trailer.

Frankly, it comes down to a lack of facilities at the ramp for the number of people trying to get their boats in and out of the water that causes the jambs. A single sided dock 20' long with 10 - 20 boats trying to use it is always a mess.

Take that "not a Crap boat" down to a dealer and have a Keel Guard put on. It's a polyurethane strip about 6" wide that protects the keel of the boat.

Great topic needed to educate are fellow fisherman and ladies usually the ones causing the problem just don't know any better/ I've seen so much and horrible mishap's, bring out the worst in folks'hope this topic don't end up sounding like them folks on I FISH ALWAYS FIGHTING AMONG THEMSELF know if we could get them folks(boaters) to read this article/or quote we would keep are stress level down.

And not everyone knows how to run a boat,
    But just about ANYONE can drive a truck.

Great topic needed to educate are fellow fisherman and ladies usually the ones causing the problem just don't know any better/ I've seen so much horrible mishaps, seems to bring out the worst in folks hope this topic don't end up sounding like them folks on I FISH ALWAYS FIGHTING AMONG THEMSELF know if we could get them folks(boaters) to read this article/or quote we would keep are stress level down.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Point taken. My fishing buddies don't drive trucks and get freaked out about pulling the trailer through a crowded parking lot.

One Launching tool that has made my Launching & Retrieving Life much better is a "Pair of Walkie Talkies" -
    Since most of the time my wife is my co-pilot and designated truck driver being able to chat has proven to be invaluable!!!

Pros:
    Cuts down on all YELLING - which makes you look like a bit of a mean-mouth.
    Wife's all the way up in the parking lot and has a last minute question - which she always seem to have...
    Boat Motor's warmed up but need to go back another few feet to launch - push bottom and tell them.
    The trucks in reverse and you tell them to pull forward. - push buttom and tell them.
    You forgot to put the park pass/ Mussle slip in the window - push button and tell them.

Hope you get the implied time savings.
    Leave No Man Behind !!

I think it boils down to people not caring. Everyone is expected to wait for them. I can launch my 24 footer alone in 5 minutes by myself, or in 1 minute with my fishing buddy. If people are waiting on me, i kick it into high gear because their time is valuable, just as mine.

Petty4life may not agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    Petty4life may not agree with that.
    thats true. LOL im not to worried now though im putting a grillguard on my truck. LOL
    I just know stuff...

MackayGuy, tell your friends about the testosterone supplements available out there. Or tell them that my wife does it, because that's how we actually launch and retrieve every time out. And I hope you know I'm just ribbing you. Since we don't launch at the same ramps, I don't have to be serious.

MackayGuy, tell your friends about the testosterone supplements available out there. Or tell them that my wife does it, because that's how we actually launch and retrieve every time out. And I hope you know I'm just ribbing you. Since we don't launch at the same ramps, I don't have to be serious.
    . I'll tell em, but the one who carries his tackle in a purse may not go for it. My wife can back a trailer as good as I can, so when we go together she drives the truck. She doesn't get to go very often cause she out fishes me....and let's me know about it.....and drinks all the beer.....and doesn't help clean fish or the boat.

I don't see to many fishermen and women holding up the show. Most of it is recreational boaters and they haven't a clue for the most part. I don't let their antics bother me. I go to the lake to be happy. Allowing other people under your skin may be a sign it's too thin.

As far as beaching my metal boat it ain't happening. I can unload the boat, move it to the end of the dock, park my truck and still be gone in under 5 minutes. In Eastern Idaho most of the docks allow for 4 boats per side with 2 docks. Done correctly you rarely see a fishermen traffic jam.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

I'd never beach my aluminum boat after launching... i pay to use the facilities. What the boat is made of shouldn't make a bit of difference. Like mentioned take the boat to the end of the dock away from the launching/unlaunching zone to tie up... common courtesy.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 03-21-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Another advantage of having someone drive the boat off the trailer is that the center section of the ramp is usually wide open. I'm often able to skip past a couple of boats ahead of me at the launch because they want the dock.

I remember getting into a tiff with a guy that was next in line to launch but he was dilly dallying around with prep. I waited 15min in a crowded launch area so when I got a brake I went around him while he was on his boat still prepping. He made sure that I knew he was next & I made sure he tied up all launches and he wasn't anywhere near launching when I went around. No more said after that. He was only thinking of getting in line but had too much prepping to do which should have been in the parking lot away from the active launch ramp. I do a lot by myself but don't waist time doing it and when I recover the boat on the trailer I always head straight to the parking lot to avoid the zoo as much as possible.

Great read metalheadgene. All comon sense. Amazing how much of that is lacking around the water. I have learned go early and comeback late. I am not the fastest, but can get my 25ft cruiser in the water and off the dock in 5-7 minutes all by myself just by doing what metal head suggests. Good preperation away from the launch area is key. Loading is usually 10 min. But man those guys with a 12 ft alum. boat who take 20 min. Dang.

I think I'm the luckiest of all, I have a wife who drives the boat on and off the trailer (while holding our baby) and a brother who drives the truck, I get to: count the fish in the cooler, watch the boat ramp/dock follies and do a last minute sober-up from a long day of relaxing fishing
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Completely agree. People are all there and eager to get in the water. If someone's waiting put a little hustle in it. You'll get on the water faster
    I had a guy at an opener a couple weeks ago make me wait to take my boat out while he prepped and when he was done he picked up a cigar looked straight at me and straired at me for a couple seconds then proceed to look for his lighter. He stops looking. Looks at me for a few more seconds and goes back to looking for his lighter periodically looking again and again and I swear he started moving slower. Luckily I was in a good mood. I'm not the most patient person especially when people are making not just me wait but everybody wait. But I knew he was doing it on purpose. 15min later I just drove my boat on. My trailers not built for it and of course I broke a roller. Eh! Whatever I had a good day on the water and he'll get wats coming to him eventually. Hopefully a big dude in a back alley! Lol!
    Last edited by rainORsnow1; 03-22-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast