Thread: line counter reel accuracy?

Default line counter reel accuracy?

I use a Shakespeare line counter that I attach to my rod. It seems to be relatively accurate when I've compared its measurements with the color coded monofilament line I used previously.

It's my impression that line counters built into reels count the revolutions of the spools. If that is the case, the amount of line on the spool will affect the measurement of line let out for each revolution of the spool. Remembering some high school math, the circumference is about 6.28 times the radius. So, when the spool is full, one revolution will let out more line than when it is only half full.

I do agree that if one is catching fish at a certain number on the counter, it is easy to return to that same point on that reel. However, if another person is using an identical reel with a different amount of line on the spool, matching numbers won't put the same lure at the same depth.

How accurate are the counters? Has anyone measured 100 feet or 200 feet off a line counter reel when the spool is filled to different levels? I don't have a reel with a line counter built in, so I can't run the tests. If I had a reel with a counter, I'd make a visit to the local football field and let out some line.

This is the kind of thing that happens to retired math teachers. Just wondering. And a few inches probably wouldn't make much difference when other factors afftecting depth are taken into consideration. Curious.....

I would say you were a very gooooood math teacher know I've and measure the accuracy of these reels thanks for the extra work

The accuracy not only depends on the amount of line but also the pound test... most manufacturers specify what's best for each reel. Your right though... the more line out the worst the accuracy is. I rely on them more for a way to get back to the same distance from the boat once you find where the bite is.
    First year i started jigging i used the same reel i used for trolling and found out that with 8lb test at 100' i was off around 12'. Even with the correct test line (10lb) for jigging at depths of up to 100' i needed something that was more precise and went to color metered braid (different color every 10 feet) loaded on a spinning reel.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 01-09-2013 at 03:23 PM.

A downrigger counter uses the same priciples as a linecounter reel. When one sees his DR weight on the sonar screen, it is usually within a foot or 2 of the counter reading. Taking into account any blow back at all, they are pretty much nuts on.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I have to agree with Super D / I really just want to know were I'm at in the water column if I'm off a foot or three inches it really dosen't matter If I just caught and landed a fish at 36 ft on my line counter I just want to drop my other gear to that dept if its actually 38/40 ft to be accurate dosen't really matter. Going off my DR I'm usually pretty close. If I'm targeting the thermocaline on my electronic at say 50 ft and drop down on my line counter reel to 50 ft I'm pretty much in the ball park and in the zone I want to be fishing. It sure beats counting pulls from your reel or wraps off a spool on a reel for locating how deep you are yes line counter are a little more expensive but I feel they are worth the extra money

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    I have to agree with Super D / I really just want to know were I'm at in the water column if I'm off a foot or three inches it really dosen't matter If I just caught and landed a fish at 36 ft on my line counter I just want to drop my other gear to that dept if its actually 38/40 ft to be accurate dosen't really matter. Going off my DR I'm usually pretty close. If I'm targeting the thermocaline on my electronic at say 50 ft and drop down on my line counter reel to 50 ft I'm pretty much in the ball park and in the zone I want to be fishing. It sure beats counting pulls from your reel or wraps off a spool on a reel for locating how deep you are yes line counter are a little more expensive but I feel they are worth the extra money
    I only use a line counter reel for distance back and use the downrigger for distance down (which matches the depth shown on the fishfinder.) Here's something to try with line counter reels... let out 50 to 100' of line next to a tape measure. Mine was off by close to 12' with 50' out... that's alot. Granted i had 8 lb test instead of the recommended 10lb but i don't think that small a difference in line weight would make that much difference (never bothered to check it again after replacing it with 10lb mono.) I guess some are better than others though and it really comes down to manufacturer... mines a Daiwa Accudepth AD217LC. Another thing that can throw the accuracy is the tautness and the amount spooled.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 01-09-2013 at 11:49 PM.

here's what I found with a cabela's depthmaster II linecounter reel (model DM30A)

the reel was at full line capacity with the last few hundred feet being 10lb test mono, I stripped off and measured 150' of line from the full spool and the counter showed 168'
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp