Thread: Winter Kokes?

Question Winter Kokes?

I'm curious if anyone ever chases the kokes this time of year out at the gorge? And later come ice season? or are they just to hard to locate?

The Gorge is a vast underwater area as you well know. I've never heard much discussion about chasing Kokes at the Gorge especially post spawn. I'm sure you could target them during the remaining open water season but it's a bit far for me to drag my boat during winter conditions to give anyone a first hand report. Once the hard deck season begins, ice conditions can be extremely unpredictable at the Gorge. I've heard all the horror stories af lost equipment and lost lives and even watched the recent video of folks out on the ice when it breaks away and they go for a drift. I would remind and encourage anyone venturing to the Gorge this time of year to use the utmost caution and your best safety sense. Remember those at home waiting and counting on your safe return.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceAlot View Post
    I'm curious if anyone ever chases the kokes this time of year out at the gorge? And later come ice season? or are they just to hard to locate?
    LanceALOT, I do not fish for the kokes this time of year, because they are hard to catch with the water temps dropping,I think there feeding habits change, as do most of the fish this time of year. I do know of a few people that catch them through the ice, they tell me be ready to drill lots of holes because they stay in small areas, but once they find them find them, they usually catch them. I know they fish alot of coves and usually fish 25-30 ft. of water. They use small spoons and small jigs.
    wishin I was fishin

Pro Staff: Rocky Mountain Tackle