Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could only have one scent.

Thank you for the info, found it, and have put it on my shopping list. Pro-Cure put the no-scent ad on their website in the UV Enhancement section and I was unaware of it. Already thinking of ways to use it.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    Pet stores such as PetCo have them in their fish food freezer.

I have tried this but with little success, I think I may have the recipe wrong.

Remembering, what is your ratio of daphnia to corn?
    That is correct. The are in the fish section in the freezer.
    I use three cubes in about half a can on corn. I drain the corn and then put them on a few paper towels to get the liquid out without rinsing them. I then smash the daphnia with the mortar and pestle. They are like very small shrimp and you have to make sure you smash the shells to make sure all the juice gets out. I put the corn in my container and then pore in the daphnia juice and put it in the fridge. Over night is not enough. So make sure you do it at least two nights before going fishing. You will not be able to smell much on the corn but the fish sure can. Your corn should turn a slight brown tinge when you are ready to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
    I'm curious also... do you add an oil or something to get it to stick to the corn?
    No. I do not add oil. This means that you should not leave it down more than 30 minutes before freshening up. This may be a quick turn around for a lot a people but the bottom line if you go 30 minutes without a hit it is time to consider a different lure or a different location. Change up might be a good thing.

Thanks TrollMonkey for getting this started, there is some great information here.

Thanks everyone for sharing, keep it going, you will feel better an sleep sounder at night if you get all those "secrets" off your chest.

David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

DLM,I just wanted to find a proven scent or two to try,now I've got more possibilities than I have time to try.

I've got a question does anyone use worms I mean nightcrawlers along with there corn or added scent because I do.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    I've got a question does anyone use worms I mean nightcrawlers along with there corn or added scent because I do.
    Nope just the corn and scents. How does that work for you using worms too?

Actually pretty good I will soak the worms piece in and oil or scent apply to one of the two trailing hooks the other hook corn. I've never fish with out them.

yah, pro cure for me. trout or kokanee.

Pro-Cure water soluble Garlic Fish Oil Plus... This was my #1 scent last year.

This will work for Kokanee but if your fishing in a lake with rainbows you'll have a hard time keeping your gear in the water... And my wife hates catching rainbows

When jigging for kokes i sometimes use worms. I start out with just gel scent and if things are slow i add corn. As a last resort i add a small piece of worm in conjuction with the gel and corn... some days it really does seem to make a difference. The only time i use worms trolling though is when targeting trout.

Ran a few things side by side with Pro-Cure Kokanee Special. So far over the past 2 years the Koke special is at least equal to if not better than any other scent I have tried.

The two that have worked best for me are tuna oil and pure anise extract. It only takes a drop or two of the pure anise.

Quote Originally Posted by Trolling in the deep View Post
    Glad to see someone else use's what my buddy and I call "Magic Corn" but we use a generous spoon full of minced garlic instead. Often wonder if it would work just as well without the tuna oil but why mess with a good thing? lol
    I mixed up some garlic/tuna for the Wickiup opener and it worked great. When things slow down of course you try other things. I put on anise plus, kokanee special and plain corn but always went back to the garlic/tuna.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Glad it worked for you, garlic tuna corn is all we use but I was also adding pro cure garlic plus oil and trout/kokanee magic super gel on my hoochies and seemed to work as well as my buddy just using regular garlic/tuna corn. He was using the regular corn and I was using a small amount of the corn that I had dyed sunset orange and they seemed to like that color. We only came home with 13 kokes from Wickiup yesterday but we pretty much stayed away from the large flotilla of boats and were all over lost a few and had many strikes, was a fun day.

I also wanted to point out that many say you have to make the corn the day you go and only keep it a day or two before making a fresh batch but we found last summer that week old garlic/tuna corn still worked very well at Paulina Lake, just keep it cold and it should last you more than one trip.

For years I used Smelly Jelly "2000" it was my secret weapon. They quit making it quit awhile back so I switched to their kokanee feast and it seems to produce.
    The Experiment Requires That You Continue!

Quote Originally Posted by Trolling in the deep View Post
    I also wanted to point out that many say you have to make the corn the day you go and only keep it a day or two before making a fresh batch but we found last summer that week old garlic/tuna corn still worked very well at Paulina Lake, just keep it cold and it should last you more than one trip.
    I mixed mine on Wednesday, kept in the fridge at home and in the motorhome.
    David

My vote is for Carp Spit!

i love rmt sockeye slayer gel it's uv and seems to work well on many different fish.i love the stuff and have pretty much stopped using all other scents,p/s i you read the contents on carp spit you won't want to get it near your mouth.

hehe..Well I don't get carp spit near my mouth anyway...but whats in it that's bad?

Last summer, I mixed 4 different Pro Cure scents together. All four bottles were less than 1/4 full.
    If I remember correctly, they were Corn, Carp Spit, Kokanee Special and one that I don't remember.
    I had some great days at the Gorge using that blend.

According to Pro-Cure's web site, Carp Spit is similar to their Kokanee Special (herring oil, sweet corn scent, and anise oil) with the addition of REAL ground up nightcrawler. I marinate Shoepeg in Wizard Kokanee Killer Korn Magic (toughens the corn and helps with spoiling) and Carp Spit in the fridge overnight (the rest gets frozen in small containers for later). Keep it in the ice cooler while fishing and it can go for a week or more.
    Oncorhynchus nerka

sorry I already answered this

Quote Originally Posted by Trackerg View Post
    hehe..Well I don't get carp spit near my mouth anyway...but whats in it that's bad?
    they have have the contents on line and it has just about every thing in it that crawls or swims in it. i think thats why fish like it

All I ever use is Kokanee Special. Sometimes I add granulated garlic to the mix. Seems to work out for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast