Thread: Bear Lake 9/23

Default Bear Lake 9/23

No fall weather to kick of the bite at Bear Lake, But still went out today. Just Like last two weekends, fish stacked up but could not get much interest. Colors in canyon are great - maples full out, but aspen a bit to go.

Luckily, found one mac willing to play with my daughter, her first mac. About a 15 lb one at that.

Dad, fish on. Well get to it. Dad, its hung on bottom. No its not, its taking line now. Dad, it came off. Reel in fast and maintain contact. Dad, its under the boat. Oh, darn, the other rigger is jumping and I bets its wrapped around.

Wind up rigger and there it is, line wrapped around cable. Grab net and wind up until can get net under it just as line breaks. Lure falls out and sinks to bottom. No matter, fish in boat and smile on daughters face.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dana'a first Mac.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	5639
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swan Creek.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	5640

Nice haul Chuck. Looking fwd to my next trip up there, but ???? I love driving thru Logan Canyon this time of year. The fall colors have an addiction of their own.

Mrs. Smoke & I are headed up for the week of the 8th-13th. Any pointers you care to share? I take a PM if you don't want to post to everyone? Wife's a fair weather fisherwoman so I hope the weather holds for her sake. How are the temps (air & H2O)?

Air temp was 46 morning and low 70 when we left in afternoon, but supposed to be 80 again by weekend. Who knows what it'll be by 8th October. Bit smokey over lake, especially to north, but clear as soon as you get up up to the overlooks. Water temp still 63-64, so things dropping only very slowly. Only pointer I know is to stay with the fish and keep at it until dum luck kicks in.

Thanks Smokepoles for the info. Now that this cooler & wetter weather has moved in, maybe the bite will change?