Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kokanee reel?

i like the tica camen 151s they are much better than the cheaper kokanee special's,i also like the okuma san juans 250s but they are hard to come by

Just set up the custom kokanee 4601 abu garcia reel for Melanie, cost is now $109. Spooled it with 15 lb. ug maxima for backing and 15lb. slik8 braid by Power Pro.Didn't have the rod last week so couldn't use it at Merwin, but will use it at the end of the month at the latest(if it ever stops raining!)The rod is a lami MDC 702 7 ft. kokanee special, really a light rod,but that is what Melanie and I like!Reel looks identical to the standard 4601, I am hoping the side plate with clicker is available from abu to fit on my 4601, looks like they are identical.Bob R

ok we have 8 red jj rods on the boat 4 with the kalex 61s and 4 with the tica camin gj 151s and we use 4 downriggers, most of the time it is just my wife and I, but we use all 8 rods 4 in the water 4 on deck loaded with different combos. I am a beleaver if you are marking fish and no bites in 10 min. change until you find what they like, but always have something ready. any way we cycle thru them and I must say the kalex performed flawlessly in fact I like the grips and the turning radius better, they are not as smooth as the gj and the drag is not as nice or finely adjustable but for 10'' to 16'' kokanee I feel they are more than adequate. I also like the fact they have a clicker which is great when stacking. we have been out 14 times 8 at greenpeter and 6 at odell and boated 463 kokanee (my wife keeps trac of these things along with what combo worked best and when) and had no problems, and as much as I hate to say it, I don't think the gj at 115.00 bucks more, is better at catching fish. just nicer to use and they match my rods and boat . dfly

--Only in Canada eh.... for level winds I use abu, DAM quick and Okuma red isis.. double up for use when river casting for salmon.
    --A favourite is an old Peetz... mahogany and brass.. mooching style. I use 4 inch on smaller rod 8ft and 6 inch on larger 9ft...really the 6 inch and above are made for salmon trolling and spawned the current reels like the islander and shimano BC mooching style.
    --The sound of the Peetz click is unique and for several years the company made a screeming reel alarm clock which imitated the sound of a few short pulls then a long run.
    --When targeting 3 lb plus often have the peetz on one rod just for the old school sound.
    Last edited by platypus; 09-10-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12