Thread: a crying shame

Default a crying shame

Not a report I'm glad to make, but here's the skinny. A couple months ago, Corps of Engineers decided they could no longer keep patching the dam at El Vado lake, so they drained it to make major repairs. It was not a major problem since its sister lake, Heron, was cranking out huge Koke, 15 to 17 inches in July and action was hot and steady. Then, it hit the fan.

Albuquerque decided to call due their water allotment and within three weeks, Heron level dropped almost 15 feet. Fishing went absolutely to hell. So bad, in fact, that even the professional guides on the lake began refunding clients deposits and refusing to take out any clients.

I fished hard, caught a few shakers, and managed an occasional keeper female, but these fish are thoroughly stressed and the rapid water drop has obviously so violated the thermocline that they are totally off the bite. Sad to say, it's over for Heron, at least for this year.

Reports are that it will drop another 8 to 20 feet by the end of the year. I've never seen the fishing so bad, and if we don't get superb snowpack in Colorado this winter, it will be a long time recovering. Most of the boaters are pulling their boats out early because the water level under the marina is dropping fast and the marina may wind up on the mud real soon.

Just a head's up for anyone thinking of heading to Heron or El Vado. Looks like I'm finally going to have a good reason to pull my boat to the Gorge.

Default What about the lake trout fishing

So what does that mean for the Lake trout fishing?
    thats a shame on the kokes for Heron. I was hoping to make a winter trip maybe some Ice fishing

Quote Originally Posted by RalphL View Post
    Not a report I'm glad to make, but here's the skinny. A couple months ago, Corps of Engineers decided they could no longer keep patching the dam at El Vado lake, so they drained it to make major repairs. It was not a major problem since its sister lake, Heron, was cranking out huge Koke, 15 to 17 inches in July and action was hot and steady. Then, it hit the fan.

Albuquerque decided to call due their water allotment and within three weeks, Heron level dropped almost 15 feet. Fishing went absolutely to hell. So bad, in fact, that even the professional guides on the lake began refunding clients deposits and refusing to take out any clients.

I fished hard, caught a few shakers, and managed an occasional keeper female, but these fish are thoroughly stressed and the rapid water drop has obviously so violated the thermocline that they are totally off the bite. Sad to say, it's over for Heron, at least for this year.

Reports are that it will drop another 8 to 20 feet by the end of the year. I've never seen the fishing so bad, and if we don't get superb snowpack in Colorado this winter, it will be a long time recovering. Most of the boaters are pulling their boats out early because the water level under the marina is dropping fast and the marina may wind up on the mud real soon.

Just a head's up for anyone thinking of heading to Heron or El Vado. Looks like I'm finally going to have a good reason to pull my boat to the Gorge.

shot.... they are as scattered... wont know how bad for a while
    Last edited by RalphL; 09-13-2012 at 08:23 PM.

This is SAD news. We own retirement property at Laguna Vista Estates...right on Heron Lake. We've heard the doom & gloom reports about water levels from them too.
    Froggie

I haven't posted in a year and it has been a very scary year for health reasons. Also haven't wet a line or launched a boat. That's the bad news. The good news is I think I beat this health problem, so now, to get back in the water I need to find another lake. Heron is still dry with no sign of relief.

I hope someone here can help me. What I'm looking for is good Koke fishing, decent camping nearby, and a marina that we can leave the boat in at a reasonable price, all summer. I don't care what state. We intend to spend the entire summer season at this new location, then winter down on the Gulf coast. Any recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Long term marina rental is important because once I put the toon in the water, I'd like to leave it there. I don't mind daily launching the smaller boat, but the toon gets a bit cheeky given my current physical problems. I'd appreciate any input.

Ralph, glad you've beat the health scare, at this point in our lives that can be very stressful. I would look at Blue Mesa, Co. or Flaming Gorge for your Summer haunt.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Red face stress

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Ralph, glad you've beat the health scare, at this point in our lives that can be very stressful. I would look at Blue Mesa, Co. or Flaming Gorge for your Summer haunt.
    stressfull is being told you might get to buy 1 more fishing license ,if your lucky. Happiness is being told a year later that "it's a miracle, and you are clear" Will check out the Gorge an Blue Mesa this spring... GLAD to be back on the forum.

check in with me in june. i should be back up on blue mesa for june and at least 2 weeks in july. we did ok this summer for not ever fishing for kokanee before and our first time to the lake with a decent sized boat.
    REDNECK. and proud of it.
    Reel Rednecks fishing team..

what are the full hookup camping facilities like at Blue Mesa, Close to the Marina?

i will get you the names when i can get to my book with my notes. we stay in town, appx 8miles away at the palasaides senior rv park. it is not a long drive out and you get to see deer and stuff on the way.
    i think the closest one is lakeside rv, like i said, i will get to my notes later.

we stay in town at the palisaides rv park and drive out. there is lakeside rv out about 2 miles from the ramp and there is a corps of engineers park over by the dam that is nice and it has a ramp there.

I was in Albuquerque Fathers day . There were pictures of Heron Lake in the Sunday Paper . Wow , What a sad sight . The way they described the water use situation, it didn't sound like it would come back unless we have several very wet yrs in a row.
    Navajo is down some , but has lots of water .