I just recently took up the addiction of Kokanee fishing and see that almost everyone (well maybe everyone...) uses a tandem rig, mainly in regards to using hoochies or wedding rings, so I have been doing so too. Monkey see, monkey do. It works great in keeping fish on the line when both hooks are engaged that's for sure! But, always a but, it also greatly increases the mortality rates and makes me less able to release shakers. The forward hook either hooks them in the eye or gills or mid body or somewhere on the head so badly due to their thrashing (which I admit is a rush no matter the size of the fish) that they must be kept because the fish won't survive, if you are a true fisherman anyway.

So being the new person and ignorant on the subject, I am looking for education on the subject as to why everyone uses tandem or double hook rigs. If I catch a six inch Kokanee (or Silver if fishing in Riffe), I would rather let it go and let it grow than keep it, not filling my limit so quickly, and being able to take the larger fish. I have been rigging the tandem hook set ups like Bill Herzog, size 1 drop shots, 'cause that is where I found info first when I started researching Kokanee fishing, due to listening to Wild Country. I see some sellers of rigs invert the front hook and/or use a different hook style. Haven't tried that, but do not see any difference in results personally.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just part of the sport? Or is there absolutely no reason for tandem hooks, except that since everyone else it doing it, everyone else does it? Am I going to be ostracized if I get caught using single hooks?

Please advise - I like to be educated. It's the only way to improve! Thanks!