Thread: anchor line

Default anchor line

how much anchor line do you need (proper amount) to anchor in 60 ft of water??

I have the "Chapman Piloting Seamanship & Small Boat Handling" book but I couldn't find a simple formula. There would be a lot of variables I think. Boat size, wind, current, anchor style, chain weight, lenght etc. One chart suggests for a 15 ft boat with a 7 ft beam 125'-3'-1/4" chain with a 12# Northill anchor for a storm anchor up to 60 knots. Again I think the water depth will be a factor. There is a formula for a Working Anchor and a Lunch Anchor as well. At the bottom of the page it states " Suggested sizes assume fair holding ground, scope of at least 7- to-1 and moderate shelter from heavy seas" I have about 150' of 1/2" braided nylon and 12' 1/4' galvanized chain on a folding grapple for my 12 footer. Can't remember how many pounds, I think 6-8# I don't think I have used it since I quite "Salt Chuck" fishing years ago. That was a different boat and I used two anchors, one for the front and one for the back. I kept the light one. Maybe someone else will know more. You could always "GOGGLE" it. PS. I think you could get away with 3 to 1 if you just wanted to hold in place for jigging or something.
    Last edited by black lab; 07-15-2012 at 03:01 AM.

Three to five feet of anchor line for every foot of depth. The anchor chain acts as a weight to keep your anchor laying down on the bottom, thus helping it to dig in. In a fresh water lake, you can get away with not adhering to the rules much more than you could in a large body of water with wind and tides.
    However, if you are anchored over-night and you are not on the boat, it's best to follow the rules. There's nothing worse than a boat that drags its anchor in the middle of the night, gets into deep water and takes off to who knows where in the current or wind. It's a good way to lose a boat.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphL View Post
    how much anchor line do you need (proper amount) to anchor in 60 ft of water??
    In my experiance and according to Chapmans it depends upon the water conditions and if you use chain with your rode or not. With chain in calm water with little current three times the water depth is plenty. In swift choppy conditions with chain 5 times and for storm conditions at least 7 times the water depth. Without using any chain start with 5 times the depth and then go up to 15 or more. Even a short peice of chain, i use six feet, takes the load off the anchor and greatly lessens the amount of rode one needs.

Ground tackle
    The typical pleasure boat anchor rode is a long length of nylon line shackled to a short length of chain at the anchor end of the rode. The chain is there mostly to add weight to the shank of the anchor, helping the anchor dig into the bottom. The rope part of the rode must be nylon. Nylon line is not only strong it is also elastic. When waves roll into an anchored boat, the nylon stretches like long rubber band, preventing the destructive jerking that occurs with a less stretchy rode. Both three-strand and braided nylon ropes make excellent anchor rode. Three-strand gives greater elasticity at lower cost, but braided nylon is more flexible, making it a better choice when the rode is fed through a deck pipe for stowage.
    Ground tackle – is the whole anchoring system, including anchor, chain, shackles and line. Anchors also must have something to attach them to the boat. This is called the anchor rode and may consist of line, chain or a combination of both.
    Anchor Size - the ground tackle needs to be of a size suitable to the vessel. As a rough guideline for boats of moderate size and displacement, the primary bow anchor ought to weigh at least 1-lb. per foot of length on deck. Bigger is better. One additional anchor, made up and ready with its rode attached, should also be carried aboard. An anchor needs to have some sturdy galvanized chain between it and the anchor line, no less than 15 or 20 ft. Again, more is better. Most experienced cruising sailors fit one of their bow anchors with an all chain rode, often using a windlass with a chain gypsy to handle it.
    Rode – is the length of line and or chain that attaches the anchor to the boat. Simply put, the chain lead should weigh at least as much as the anchor whose weight it is supplementing.

Scope - the angle of the rode is described in terms of water depth to rode length i.e. 3 to 1 means that the rode is three times as long as the depth of the water. Seven to one would be "more" scope or a shallower angle. The more scope the closer the shank of the anchor is to the bottom, the better it holds.
    Powering - refers to a technique of freeing a stuck anchor. Take in any extra rode you can by motoring up on the anchor and then tie the line off on the cleat. Have your mate stand back and motor the boat past the anchor. The boat can put considerable strain on the anchor, more than most hooks can take so be careful.
    Anchor rode
    What size rope do you need? A good rule of thumb is 1/8" of rope diameter for every 9 feet of boat length. As example, if you have a 26-foot boat, you need 3/8" line, but you should buy 1/2" rope for a 28-footer. To determine how long your anchor rode should be, multiply the deepest water you expect to anchor in by eight. If you expect to anchor in 25' of water, you need 200' of rope.

I would guess not one in 100 comply with that. I know I'm way off, thanks, good info

more like 10,000. except for a few blue water sailors i know no one even comes close. I dont carry a second anchor just a grappling hook besides the anchor on my windlass. I use it for mooring. i drop the hook then back towards the bank letting out rode untill close to shore in wading depth then take a second rode to shore to tie off the stern. The grappling hook is used when deep water goes to the shore. I then use the windlass to pull the boat into water deep enough to keep it from bumping bottom then use the stern line to pull the stern into shore for boarding. The nylon rode allow stretching so when tension is let up on the stern line the boat is pulled into deeper water keeping it secure from the bottom
    Last edited by bfloyd4445; 08-04-2012 at 12:58 PM.