Thread: Reel size for lead core

Default Reel size for lead core

I want to give lead core a try,so I got some cabela's lead core line (14#) and started spooling one of my reels (Calcutta 100)

I only got 2 colors on before it was full. I guess I didn't think much about the reel size 'cause they always held enough line before.

I was thinking of spooling 10 colors, so I could get down in the 50' range. But in doing some math, that now seems like a large reel.

Anyway, I was wondering what size reels people would recommend for lead core, and how many colors they spool it with.

Thanks much

go with Okumo 30 dx for a line counter or a Penn 209.. Load it all on 20lb backing

Penn 209!

I like to run a 17-20 lb backing and 25' leader from the leadcore to a snubber. How deep you go depends on water temp, thermocline, and boat speed. More line hits a max depth depending on conditions and results in a bowed line underwater coming up to the lure at the end.

You can spool all 10, but most likely won't ever go more than 7 colors out.
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

My calcutta 700 holds a full spool of lead core with room to spare - at least 10 colors. It's also got the best drag of any of the reels mentioned here.
    Disappoint the Government; be responsible, self-reliant, and kind.

I use the Okuma 300 dx for my leadcore rods. also just got one with line counter. I went the easy route and bought the ready made leadcore. Includes 150 ft of backing, several colors of leadcore, and 50 ft of leader. Its spooled with the backing on the outside so easy to spool on your reel. Incidently I took a protractor on boat. figured the angle at about 22 degrees at 2.5 mph, did a little math and came up with about 11 ft of depth for every color (10yd) of leadcore at that angle. I couldnt quit with that of course. I made a chart for use with any line or downrigger cable. Using the closest angle (drawn on the chart) of 22, 30, 45, 52, 60, or 70, and knowing how much line is out, the chart tells you how deep ur bait actually is. I havent figured the pic posting on here yet but if anyone wants to see send me a pm and i can text the pic. This chart helps when u have blowback on ur downrigger weights...

Sweet. Thanks for all the info guys. Very helpful.

As an aside I hit Lake Stevens in the morning w/ a friend. We landed 10 out of 11, and most were nice big fish. Everything was caught 50-70' down on red wedding rings.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphL View Post
    go with Okumo 30 dx for a line counter or a Penn 209.. Load it all on 20lb backing
    Agree with these. I have them both. A friend of mine used the Penn 109 with no issues.

Okuma 40, 10 colors easy. The angle graph would be cool to see. I have had many conversations with others on the angles and depths

shimano tekota 300 gets all the colors.

I live in Eastern Washington and troll for trout in Sprague lake. It's not very deep and no area is over 18'. I use three colors of 18# lead core with 60' Berkley Vanish fluro. leader. We troll at 2 mph with big streamer flies and do not drag bottom at 14'. I'm sure if you add dodgers or lake trolls things will change in a hurry.

On a side note a lot of our lake fishing for trout is at 3 colors and I rigged up a Garcia 5500 with 150' 10# power pro, three colors of 18# lead core and 60' Vanish leader. Works like a charm; not so heavy as a big reel with ten colors. We switch to downriggers as soon as we need more than two rods or added depth.

I have a couple of Penn 209's but you really only need 6 colors and you've maxed out on possible depth at most optimum trolling speeds. I can't imagine spending the money I have into my Calcutta 700's and then loading them with lead core.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

I agree Don. If you need more than six colors then it's time to invest in a downrigger.
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

I'm going to try the micro-lead line from Tuff-line. I bought the 18lb which has a 53lb strength. he colors are 30ft/10 yds each and there are 10 colors on the spool.
    My quest question is how many colors should a guy have on a reel? My boat is well equipped with down riggers too so don't need to get really deep. All 10 colors or is 5 adequate?
    Take time before time takes you

This is probably up to debate but I feel like there is a point where more colors don't equal more depth. I like Mackprince's answer above. I subscribe to backing + lead + mono top shot. Figure 30' + for top shot.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I run an Okuma Classic 452L. I use a 20' leader of 10lb test, 2 colors of leadcore, a 60' section of 10lb mono, then 8 colors of leadcore then a mono backing. I have found that early in the year when the fish are shallow I catch em 2 colors back the 60' of mono lets me put it a lil further back without it getting any deeper. Then later in the year I wrap the leader and first two colors around an old spoon and use the 60' section as my leader. I have noticed of the lakes I fish that sometimes the further you can get your gear from the boat the better