Thread: 5/27/12 Kok at LP

Thumbs up 5/27/12 Kok at LP

GREAT day at LP! Cool but very manageable weather made it a fishing crowd only.
    Hooked up to about 30 fish between 930am and 400pm. Both Dad and I got limits. Great day! Hoochies....11-15 feet on the downriggers and trolling weights with wedding ring as second troller rod at 4-8ft. Even got one 16" on an orange and gold rapala countdown. 12" to 17.5" the largest. Shoepeg on hooks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liz cam5-27-12 160.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	3748  

Very nice fish! Thanks for sharing!
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

First, 02, welcome to the site, and thanks for a detailed report. Think I will head up Wednesday. Sounds like they are runnning pretty shallow. Another person recently stated that they were hitting a fast troll better, but I wondered at the time if it was that the fast troll "shallowed" the lures. Anyway, congrats on a good day. Mike

Go for orange in color...orange blade as well. Our troll was pretty standard speed, .8mph or so. Enough speed to keep the spinners on the downriggers active and for the wobbler to give proper action on the hoochie. Its kind of strange to get koks at 10' on the riggers, I mean, its right below the boat!
    I was also really surprised how productive the 2nd rod trolling blades with orange beaded wedding rings was. (Not on a down rigger)

Thanks for the report 02!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Dad and i have been fishing LP for many years, but koks only for the last few. 15-20 years ago you could just slaughter nice rainbows trolling a floating gold and orange rapala early in the moning.I dont think many folks cared about koks at LP then, anyone know? This was our best kokanee trip for sure, even though we have had a few good ones in the past few years. July and August at rediculous early o'clock are always good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kokNEE.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	3754  
    Loren

you are correct about no one really targeting kokanee back then, and the good sized rainbows are still around as you probably know, every few fishing trips to LP (I'm always after the kokanee) I usually hook a few 17"+ rainbows and I know there are some monsters in there

I know several people that catch lots of 20"+ rainbows in other lakes/rivers in idaho and they have all snapped off at least one big fish in LP on their kokanee reels loaded with 8lb test, I always run 12lb test because one day I know i will hook a lunker in LP

if you don't mind me asking whats the biggest rainbow you've landed in LP and what other species have you hooked in LP besides koks and bows?
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp