Thread: SW Idaho newbie

Default SW Idaho newbie

Glad I found this forum this morning as I will hopefully gain some knowledge from everyone here and pass along information as I figure out how to fish for Kokanee. We live in SW Idaho near Boise.

Made it out for our first time fishing for Kokanee in the new boat. Since we don't have down riggers or a fish finder (still on the list of things to buy) we trolled around using egg sinkers for weight in the front of a dodger and wedding and managed to catch one after about an hour of trolling. The kids had fun which was the most important thing.

Welcome aboard id_birdhnter! Get the fishfinder and downriggers asap...makes it a whole lot easier when you know what depth they're at and a way to get right on top of them.

id_birdhntr SB is right about getting the sonar and downriggers asap.

Welcome to the forum id birdhntr. Hopefully this warm weather won't send those kokes down so deep you won't be able to reach them with your egg sinkers. A couple weeks of 80+ degree weather will put those fish down to the 30-50 ft. deep range. We where able to get most of our fish this week without weights on down to 10 feet down. I am sure that will change some with this warm weather. What kind of boat did you get? Once again, welcome.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Thanks everybody. I ended up getting a War Eagle 1860CC with a 115/80 jet on it for fishing and duck hunting. I'm now a little boat poor so I am getting things as I save up for them. I'll be fully equipped for next season.

It's just nice having a boat finally. What type of down riggers do you run sawtooth?

Id birdhntr, That boat should be a nice duel purpose setup. It is always easier to justify the cash when you know it will be used all year long. As far as downriggers are concerned, it is kind of like asking which company makes the best pickup. Everyone has their favorite downrigger company. Personally, I have two electric Cannon Mag 5's. You can get away with manuals for kokanee, because most of your fishing is less than 50 feet down, but electric sure is nice. Just hit a switch and you are good to go. I really like my Mag 5's and would buy them again, but Scotty makes a fine product and have heard some good things about Walker downriggers as well. Good luck and have fun with your new boat.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Thumbs up Welcome

Idbirdhntr,

Welcome. I too am just starting out and am in the process of trying to retrofit a bass boat.

I too like to waterfowl but don't have the boat set up for that either. Limited to areas where one can be a foot soldier.

Sounds like you'll be better off in that department. As others of have mentioned, you can catch them flat lining but as the weather warms up, a down rigger will help. I've even had others tell me that, although not the best, the clamp on Cannon mini-troll down riggers are better than nothing. That might be something to consider for a short term solution until you gather the cash for something a little better.

I hope to have my boat up and running around June 1, maybe I'll see you out there.

I'm in a blue Stratos fish and ski, don't worry, you'll know me when you see me. Drive a Dodge Megacab truck with Century 21 on the back window.

Say "hi" if you see me out there.

~ Mike

Thanks for the info sawtooth. I was looking at those Cannon's at Cablea's the other day. My boat has the rail system in it so I can add attachments like rod holders, etc on the rail. I am having 4 of them made up with flat aluminum plate so I can use for mounting rod holders and the downriggers to them. Then in the fall I can mount my duck blind to it. Should be a pretty nice setup.

Mike, my son turned 10 last duck season and we did the walk in's a lot. That is the reason I now have a boat.

See you out there.

Scott

welcome aboard
    I just know stuff...