Thread: Kokanee Nation Q&A with Vance Staplin - Questions, anyone?!?

Default Kokanee Nation Q&A with Vance Staplin - Questions, anyone?!?

We're all looking forward to this Saturday's chat with kokanee-fishing pioneer VANCE STAPLIN on our Kokanee Nation segment on Northwest Wild Country.

Chatting with Vance about kokanee is like chatting about swimbaits with Mike Long or tuna tackle with Tred Barta: I live the conversation shaking my head, going "I thought I knew a little about kokanee fishing ... " :)

Anyway, for those of you in western Washington, western Oregon and the Spokane area, you can catch it on HD-TV simulcast on Comcast Sportsnet channels 179 (Spokane, western Wasington), and channels 37 & 737 (Portland metro area down to about Ashland). On the radio, you can hear it on 102.9 FM and 950 AM, and if you have an iPhone or Droid, you can tune in absolutely anywhere courtesy of our cool IHeartRadio.com app.

Does anybody here have questions for Vance?!? If so, let's get 'em cranking. This is a great opportunity to get into the mind of a kokanee superstar!
    -JS/NWWC

time on the radio? Gonna try the app.

I'd like to ask Vance about color choices for lures/dodgers.Does he choose more on a seasonal basis or based on daily condtions? TM

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Whaler View Post
    time on the radio? Gonna try the app.
    6-8am Pacific
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Quote Originally Posted by trollmonkey View Post
    I'd like to ask Vance about color choices for lures/dodgers.Does he choose more on a seasonal basis or based on daily condtions? TM
    Hi Troll Monkey,

The answer is both. Early in the year I use a lot of trolls (i.e. Pop Gear, Flashers, Beer can's, etc depending on the terminology in your region).

The reason is Kokanee in early season/cooler water temperatures are spread out in shallower water and trolls provide maximum flash and maximum vibration which attracts the Kokanee to your presentation from farther distances. Not that I don't use Dodgers early because I do. I just use more trolls earlier than later in the season.

Daily conditions will determine color and sometimes depth in early season also.

Later in the season when the fish get down to 25 feet or more I then switch to Dodgers and Cannonball trolls. This is the best of both worlds when it comes to light gear and maximum attraction.

Hope I answered your question. If not, hit me with another one!

Vance

Hi Vance ,Thanks for the informative answer. I am bad to use what I tied on last time that worked. Our kokes In NC don't get alot of serious pressure ,so most things seem to work if you run them long enough. I have a pretty good supply of laketrolls(we call them cowbells), so I'll have to give them a shot on slow days. Thanks for sharing with us . I only got to catch your first time on NWWC ,any chance of you posting a brief list of points you covered with Gen Zog? Tight lines Mark