Thread: Riffe

Unhappy Riffe

Went to Riffe yesterday. The launch at the park was usable, the very tip of the float in the water. Lake was 27 ft below full. Got two limits 13-16 inches on Jack of Diamonds with a red wedding ring tipped with shrimp, The fish are literally stuffed with "gut worms". The worst I have ever seen in the last three years. When you opened them up you couldn't even see the entrails. Wonder if they are showing up in Mayfield? Also ran into two boatloads of drunks.
    Dutch

I caught some of them last fall with gut worms. Never seen that before so wasn't sure if they were even edible.
    We went to Odell lake for opening weekend, shoulda stayed home.

I was at Riffe a couple weeks ago. Got four limits in a couple hours. One went 18". I fished it last year for the first time and twice this. Every time they all had the worms. I read they are fine to eat and I have eaten quite a few with no I'll effects. It does look a little strange though.

Kokanator, Odell didn't produce? Sorry to hear that. Where you trolling or jigging?
    I read some people caught them jigging. I am not proficient at jigging, but I hear it's the only game in town untill mid June.

Thumbs up

At the cleaning station, there is a posting about them, if you clean them well and cooking thoroughly they are safe. I've been catching and cooking them for them ever since I first started seeing them with no ill results. I'll prbably wait a couple of weeks for the water to rise and try again, in the meantime, see you at Merwin.
    Dutch

It appears we were in the wrong area Sat. We were fishing straight out from Princess creek. Fish were being caught out from sunset cove. Sounds like the bite was on for about an hour at Sun-up. We were jigging at first then trolling. We bought a couple Walker downriggers over the winter and wanted to try them out.
    Thanks for the info on the silvers in Riffe. I'll just make sure and clean 'em good.