Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Lucky Peak Fishing Thread

I want to thank Kodiak1 for his PM'd advice. Wife and I went to LP this morning and DID NOT get skunked. Hooked around 11 fish, five pretty small, lost a couple and boated 5 nice ones. We really appreciate the info on trolling speed and gear. The folks at Turner's Tackle were also great. Thanks for the recommendation.

We fished from Spring Shores up to next boat ramp on way to Arrowrock and only caught a two small ones. Back to Shores and things heated up mid lake in front of ramp. I had best luck with Orange Hoochie at about 10 feet until about noon. Then nothing for me but wife started picking them up with pink at about 15-20 feet. Left around 3 PM.

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Bob and Leah

Planning on hitting L. P. on Friday, Went last Friday it was slow brought home 4 biggies. Caught allot of smaller ones could have had a limit even had a 12 in the live well for awhile after comparing them he went back. Lost a big one right at the boat I won't go int to details but DUH!!! Surface temp was 56.

Default Thursday morning pretty good

Decided to go into work late today. Put in at Spring Shores about 7:30 and fished for about 3 hours out in front of the boat ramp. Took home 6 real nice fish, the largest went 17.5", the rest about 16". Most on pink squid around 20'.

Kinda surprised at the number of boats out this morning. Quite a few for a Thursday.

Default skunked then spooled

In the last 5 days I have fished LP 4 times. I have been all but skunked every day. I am pretty sure I know what I am doing since I have limited out 4 times this season and caught a total of 40+ 16'' kokanee and at least that many trout. Fished all over the Dam area, didnt catch anything. The only fish to be had were a lot of fresh stocked rainbow near turner boat ramp. Yesterday and today I fished Spring shores. Got one small koke close to the net and a dinker trout.
    Then I got spooled!!!! WTF? I wasnt getting any hits at 25ft or 15ft so I put on a sling blade and pink hoochie with no weights. Had just hit the mouth of Mores creek canyon. When WHAM!!! Big hit, rod was maxed out, drag was screaming. So okay I let him take line for 4...5...6...15 seconds! and there was no signs of him slowing down. Im on a paddle board so this fish totally stopped me and turned me around. I had about 40 seconds with this guy. I reached for my paddle thinking Holy **** I have to chase a fish at Lucky Peak? But before I could manage that I realized I was running out of line. I feathered the drag tighter and tighter until I was down to a couple yards of line, and then I had to tighten it all the way down. SNAP! Fairly fresh 10lb line was a joke for this fish. I am not one for the ole fish story but this was so humbling. If you were one of the boats nearby at 11am today you may have heard some heated words bouncing off the canyon walls. I have caught 20 lb red fish, and 40'' baracuda on this same set up. I will tell you this fish kicked my ass. Has anybody ever caught a monster Bull trout, or steelhead size rainbow at LP? I know they stocked Lakers up there years ago, but have not heard of anybody hooking up in years.

If anybody catches a monster with a sling blade attached I would like it back please!

Today makes me think twice about running these ultra light Kokanee setups.

I watched a fellow land an 18 lb. Chinook salmon from the bank at LP back in the 90's. I know there are a few browns still lurking around in there and most definitely big bull trout.

Could you have hooked onto someone's downrigger cable? Mike

I was thinking the same thing Mike.

Brought home 3 big ones worked hard for them, lost allot not the norm for me, they were short striking. Caught a load of smaller ones tossed them all back most were between 10 -12 inches. Lot's of boats on the water surface temp went all the way up to 64.

Default Where did all the fish go?

What a difference a day makes. Fished all morning and only had 3 fish on. 1 NPM and 2 kokes. It's like someone turned the fish switch off. I tried all the usual places around Spring Shores but kept coming up empty.

Was anybody catching fish today? If so, where the heck did they go?

Had the same problem on Friday. A few some ones and only one 17 .

Quote Originally Posted by Old Woody View Post
    What a difference a day makes. Fished all morning and only had 3 fish on. 1 NPM and 2 kokes. It's like someone turned the fish switch off. I tried all the usual places around Spring Shores but kept coming up empty.

Was anybody catching fish today? If so, where the heck did they go?

Old Woody,
    With the water temp rising daily, did you try fishing deeper? Where you marking fish at the same depth or were they deeper?
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

No joy here either. We were marking fish all over, but they had lockjaw. Something sure put them off.

agreed. we only boated two little guys by the dam, at 20' & 25'. started off this a.m. at spring shores. saw nobody catching fish, anywhere. marked a lot between 30'-35'.

Last year about this time the same thing seemed to happen. I was catching fish regularly at 20 feet and then the weather heated up and the fish became few and far between. After about a week or two of hit and miss fishing, the limits returned but I was catching them in 40-50 feet of water. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what is happening now. Justs my .
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default Fishing OK Today

Started late today around 9:00. Spring Shores. Marked fish right away at about 20-23 feet. Pearl squid, maggots, rocky mountain small blades. 1.2 or so speed. Hooked and landed couple of limits. More small ones for some reason. All big ones were 16 on the money. It was all done by 11. Water temp is climbing.

Default 6-1-12

OK here are the pic's late because I went camping, 3 total big guy's threw back a ton of little guy's. These two are like twins one came at 20 and one at 15 go figure??? 1 is a solid 18 one is 17.5 and the not pictured was 16 on the money. The sink is 16 for referance....

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...2/DSCF0517.jpg

Default Bikini fishing?

So I saw Mr. Predator out there on Saturday slaying fish while I was basically out for a boat ride. Since you told me you were using pearl squid and maggots, my wife and I went into town on Saturday evening and stocked up on both. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to work on Sunday (at least not for me). After some thought, I realized there was one big difference between your boat and mine. You had a gal in a bikini netting your fish! I tried to talk my wife into the bikini thing but I guess she lacks the true dedication it takes to bring in the fish. :)

There was one lure that was working great for me Sunday. We put in at Spring Shores at about 7:00 and went out about 100 yards off the boat ramp. I put down my first line with pop gear and an orange wedding ring and within 30 seconds I had a 16" fish on. I didn't even have time to put another line in. We landed that fish and put the same setup back in. Bam! another fish on, this one about 11" so we tossed it back. This is really starting to look like a great day as I put the same lure back in the water and within 5 minutes I have another nice kokanee on. We get this one right up next to the boat and he heads straight to the downrigger cable, wraps up, snaps off the line and takes my lucky lure with him.

We spent the next 2 hours with absolutely no action. Tried eveything in the box but nuthin doing. We ended up fishing til 2:30 and hooked about 10 more fish of various sizes. We lost 2 nice ones at the boat and got 3 16" fish in the cooler. No consistancy on what they were hitting. We got them on an orange squid, blue wedding ring, red and green wedding ring, and a pale green wedding ring. All between 22-24 feet.

Fished Sat. and scratched out a limit (although one was a dink that had one hook through the eye and the other in the gills). Fishing was slow and very few other boats seemed to be doing much.

Fish were caught on pink blades and hoochies. 2 at first light 20' deep and rest at 15'. Did get a nice 18" fish with the rest being the normal 16's or so except the afore mentioned dink.

Yeah It was not a down rigger cable, although I think that would be pretty dam funny. No boats we that close. I have caught enough logfish, rockfish, and bushfish in my life to know the difference. This was a real Big ass fish. I am so bummed out that I couldn't hang on. I am also pretty sickened by the fact that one of the bigger fish in LP is dragging a lot of tackle. I posted the story to find out what people know about big fish in LP.

Default Bikini Fishing Works!

Hey, the bikini gets it done every time. Nice wooden boat...kokanee with class. Went out Sunday too. Hooked a few nice fish off the Spring Shores docks early. Then dead. Landed trout, several pike minnows, and some small guys. Went towards Turner Gulch. Lots of boats mid res off cliffs. You guys do any good? Not much for me down at other end. Bikini made everything alright.

Default Speaking of women fishing

Hey, as long as we're talking about women fishing.....

I have noticed that whenever I go fishing with my wife her rod always catches more fish. Drives me crazy. We're not talking just a little bit better, I'd say at least 80% of the fish we caught were on the rod she was baiting up. I talked to a friend who had heard that men have some chemical on their hands that the fish don't like. So I searched the web and found this article:

http://www.earthsports.com/m/news/vi...atch-More-Fish

This seems to confirm what I've seen personally.

Before I moved to Idaho about 3 years ago I did most of my fishing on coastal streams in Oregon. When we fish for salmon and steelhead we always wear nytrile gloves to keep the scent off the gear. Most of the guides there swear by this method. They also refuse to let anyone on their boat with a banana. They swear that salmonids hate the smell of bananas. At any rate, I think I'm going to try wearing gloves next time and see if it helps.

Anybody else out there tried wearing gloves while fishing for kokanee?

"They swear that salmonids hate the smell of bananas."
    Hhahahahaha

you can try gloves, or, just put a bit of scent on your fingers PRIOR to rigging/baiting up.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBack79 View Post
    you can try gloves, or, just put a bit of scent on your fingers PRIOR to rigging/baiting up.
    Or try to convince your wife that she should bait all the rods and you will just drive the boat and reel in the fish. I think you might be better off with blueback's recommendations.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Hey now...thats serious business...NO BANANA'S IN THE BOAT EVEEEERRR! I will personally drop kick you out of the boat in the middle of the lake if I find a banana in your stuff...not funny...LOL

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast