Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Lucky Peak Fishing Thread

Hit LP for a few hours yesterday...played around by the dam in a rodeo fest of BS and goofball drivers...caught mostly dinks like 6 inches...two nice ones later we kicked it for Spring Shores met up with a buddy...and it was on...got 5 more around 17" and called it good...Also...not sure what everyone else was getting for temps but I was marking 58 at the dam...it was a bit cooler at Spring shores but I believe the swimmers are at the dam right?

Default Lp 5/8/12

Caught a limit yesterday at LP. They were all good size, between 14"-16" (see pic). Lost three as well. All but one were caught between 11-13 feet; one at 27 feet. Used yellow, orange and pink homemade wedding rings with matching dodgers/sling blades. Yellow/Orange combo seemed to work the best. The highest temp reading I saw for the day was 56 degrees, so pretty close to Jimbo's reading. I mainly fished across from Spring Shores.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LP 5.8.12.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	3692  

Default LP

Went with a friend in his boat we boated 9 through back 4 to small to keep. Lost 6. Not too bad of a day. Same stuff as monday when we brought home 4 limits. Hoochies with scented corn, yellow and shoepeg.

Picked up 12 nice big ones Friday and 12 again on Saturday. Having to work for them. About one of every three fish caught is keeper size. Of the 24 total, 10 were 20 inches (I thought) but when I actually measured them, they are just over 17 inches, the rest over 15 inches - really nice fish. Beautiful fillets- getting ready to fire up the smoker. Looking good for next year with all of the little guys we are catching.

Anything pink around 15 ft, we just keep switching out different things until we find something that works.

Fished Monday for few hours. Basically, same report as Salmonster. Pink, 15 feet, then had to drop to 20 at about 11AM. Pulled out with another boat who did as well as us, but fished surface whole time. If you get into next year's generation, just move. When we did, it was all large fish. First area was all smalls. If you keep losing fish, it is the small guys. The biggies seem to rarely miss! Mike

Default A nice day of catching at LP!!

Decided to give myself the day off today and went to LP with my friend Brazilkokkiller. Put in at spring shores (11:00 A.M.) and didn't go very far (200 yards) till we started trolling. Ran my favorite sling blades and home made hoocies on all 3 rods. Set one down rigger at 19' and second at 23'. Got the first hit within 5 minutes of trolling. It was a nice 16'' fatty. We landed 12 beautiful koks by 2:30 P.M. All were 16" and 2 were 17". I'm looking forward to go again next Tuesday. Good luck everyone.

Name:	055.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	3712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	057.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	3713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	059.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	3714  

Been a little over a week with some pretty solid temps over there. I'm hoping someone can provide me with some good news on water temperature. Please tell me it has cracked the 50 degree mark.

In the meantime best of luck with the fish...

Last Saturday near dam it was ranging from 51 to 54 degrees surface temp. Temp was rising when we left the lake around noon. It should be climbing up even more with this warm weather.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

That is great news... Thanks to everyone who has provided updates it is very appreciated by a bunch of us triathletes who will be competing this year.

Fished LP today from 8 to 11. Picked up 8, inc. two rainbows. One rb was the smallest fish of the day, and the other, an 18 1/2"er, the largest. Biggest rb I have ever taken out of LP in recent years. All the kokes were the biggies. Depths that worked for us were 15 and 20. Mike

Fished yesterday from 1 til 4. Hooked 3, 2 little ones and a big one.

Default L.P. Today

Went out today caught 10 in 4.5 hours, Brought home this limit.

Default Lucky Peak Report

We fished Lucky Peak today and boated 10 nice Kokes. We lost about the same number and threw back about 8-10 that were too small. What worked best for us were Pink Hoochies with corn. Almost all the fish were caught around 13 feet.

Default Lp 5/20

Hit it for a few hours yesterday. Caught 5 from 2:30 to 4pm @ 15-20ft.
    pink/orange and green/yellow yielded about the same fish. White corn, cured corn and... Eric, you left your fire corn on the boat. That worked too.
    Damn nice fish!
    Last edited by spoons; 05-21-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Launched out of Spring Shores at 630am started trolling towards the Arrow Rock dam. Started running 1oz sinkers 70 ft back and 3 colors of leadcore. Pink and clear hoochies with pink slings with the sinkers and orange hoochies with orange slings. As soon as we rounded the 1st bend we started running into the kokes. Largest was a 19". Average size was 15.5" We ended up landing 13. Lost around 10.

Also had luck with pink on Sunday. Fish any depth you want, they are scattered from the surface to about 35 feet from what I saw and caught.

Default Windy day but awesome fishing!!

Went out today with my 2 good fishing buddies. We launched at Spring Shores at 10:30 and started to troll one of my favorite spots. The wind kicked in about 15 minutes in and it was miserable. I would say it was blowing about 15-20 mph. I decided to head towards Arrowrock Dam. I never fished that area before and started fishing about a mile down from the dam. The wind wasn't as bad there. I started marking fish at 17'-25'. It didn't take long till we got first hit and netted a 17''. We fished long and hard and was able to get 3 limits. We kept 12- 16''-17'' and 6- 10'' koks. We threw back another 12- 8'' koks and lost 5 real nice ones. My home made hoochies and favorite sling blades did the job again. Had a weird thing happen though. On one of the 17'' koks I caught, my Jared Johnson rod snapped 3'' above where the 2 pieces connect as the fish hit. I was able to get him in the boat. Anyone know if these JJ's have some sort of warranty? Tight lines everyone.

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	3734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	3735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	3736  
    Last edited by FiliIslander; 05-22-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Nice fish
    JR fisherman
    Shasta Tackle Pro Staff! Team Wild Child Follow us on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMeIbuRWhobsmMmpM4xQayQ?feature=watch

So that's where they were hiding on Monday. Been doing great until I took a friend who has been wanting to try for them, and of course I stunk up the place. Never thought to head up towards Arrowrock. That's fishing....always having to reinvent the approach!! Glad you guys found 'em. Mike

We trolled from the corner all the way to Arrowrock dam yesterday without one fish. Did catch two across from the ramp

Default Lucky Peak weather

Hey guys! I have had several people ask me about the weather at LP near the dam. Since I am a Kite boarder as well, I have a pretty good grip on how to predict the wind. LP is a very windy place at times when the rest of the valley is totally calm. Why? Thermal and pressure differences created by the dam coupled with the large drainage area of the high mountains and the hot desert is the perfect recipe for wind. Here is what you need to know if you want to show up and have calm wind, or just not be surprised.

Look for forecasted west winds in the 5-10 mph range over night in Boise and mountain Home. This stops the Thermal Flow from forming.

If it is forecasted to be calm over night in boise then expect 10-15mph winds blowing down the canyon and over the dam.

If it is forecasted to be hot with light-medium SE winds over night, then expect 15-25mph blowing down the canyon.

These winds start about 2am and usually shut down around 10am. Maybe as late 1pm in the fall.

This only applies near the dam, Spring shores is totally different.

Anybody else feeling like the Kokanee have been wiped out near the dam? after several rock star weeks, I have been getting skunked this week.

Interesting information. I guess I will need to check the forcast next time I plan on fishing by the dam. Nice Name by the way. Great minds must think alike. I think this Sawtooth will stick to fishing from a boat.
    Last edited by sawtooth; 05-26-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default Friday fishing

Fished the Spring Shores area yesterday with my uncle. The weather report must have scared everybody away because there was hardly anybody there. We saw maybe 5 other boats in the morning and by afternoon we had the place to ourselves. It was raining in the early morning but stopped about 10:00 and by noon the sun was coming out. Note to self: when it rains, go to Lucky Peak, you'll have the place to yourself.

The fishing was pretty darn good and if we hadn't been such inept fishermen we would have had two limits with no problem. We had at least 10 big fat fish right up to the boat only to have them come off. I've never had that much trouble netting a fish. We still ended up taking home 3 fish a piece that were in the 15-16 inch range.

The fish were spread out all around Spring Shores. A pretty good number were up the Arrowrock arm, some right off the boat ramps in the middle, and some just up the narrows towards the dam. They seemed to be between 15-25 feet and hitting pink squid.

Good luck and don't let the rain scare you away, the fishing is great and there are a lot of big fat fish in there.

Red face water temps?

It would be great to get some more info on water temps. Those crazy triathletes will be in town again in two weeks!

Thanks & Good Luck with the fishing!

Fished the first bend towards ArrowRock from Spring Shores again this morning. We caught 21. Man those LP fatties really like Orange slings and Orange hoochies. And the pink sling with a pink hoochie was good too

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast