Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Lucky Peak Fishing Thread

Thumbs up 2012 Lucky Peak Fishing Thread

On request a thread for the 2012 season. Please try and keep this Thread for fishing reports etc. for the season
    Last edited by gonefishing; 01-12-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Dont care here...I hate LP...just saying...LOL Very soon it will be deluged with wakeboarders and the like anyway...lol

The wakeboarders and pleasure boaters were in full force today. It was anything but a relaxing day out at the lake. Had to work hard for the four fat porkers (2 at 15", 1 at 16" and 1 at 16.5") and two 9.5"ers, which I kept because they got hooked in the eye and gills. Fish were all caught from 11-15 feet down. Fish were spread out all over the lake. If I got one, I would turn right around and go through the school again, because the bite would quit as soon as it started. Below is a picture of the four larger fish. The cutting boards are 14 inches and 16 inches long for a size reference.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg 
Views:	1318 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	3618
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Did about the same as Sawtooth, but on Saturday. The fish are chubby and pretty good size for this time of year. They seemed to hit any kind and color of lure, worm or corn, long line or DR. 10 - 13 feet on the riggers. Really shallow on the long line.

Default Pretty good day Sunday

Looks like things are picking up a bit at LP. Was there yesterday and did OK. Kept 5 kokes that were all between 15-16" and tossed back that many because they were only about 10". All were caught down by the dam using pop gear and wedding rings on the surface. Had a down-rigger at 20' with a dodger and piink squid but it didn't get a single hit. All in all a pretty good day for April except for the wake boarders in the afternoon.

Hopefully the fishing is going well up there... I'm curious if anyone has the current water temperature of the lake right now? I haven't been able to find a good resource for the information, but this forum seems to be pretty active.

To be transparent, I'm not planning on fishing at Lucky Peak, but will be participating in the Ironman event there in June.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday it was 47 on the surface according to my fish finder.

Thanks for the info. While definitely not the number I was hoping to hear, we still have 44 days for the water to warm up a bit... (Even 55 would be nice)

Friday.......9 to 3 PM on LP. Boated 2 kokes, one more in and out of the net a few times then gone. Pretty slow........caught a Golden trout. Never have seen such a fish before. Maybe 14".

Default LP

Tika, welcome again to the addiction. Where were you on LP and what did you catch your Koke's on? It's going to get better very soon.. This weather pattern is not so good right now, but welcome a brighter change... Jt

Took my buddy out for a couple of hours this morning. We kept six nice kokes and released a few little guys as well. Fish were all near the surface, from top line to 9 feet down on downrigger. Real windy near the dam in the morning, had to leave lake for town at 11 am, right about the time the sun came out and the wind let up a little. Quite a few people watching the rooster tail down at the dam so give yourself some extra time when traveling from Boise to the Lake.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default Friday on LP .......further info:

We fished near the Dam......pink hoochies with shoepeg 15 ft down......also the nice Koke that got away hit a floating f7 rapala flat lining. [that surprised me at least].

Default Another fine day on the lake

My wife and I were out on the lake again yesterday and caught quite a few kokes. Problem was, they were mostly in the ten inch range so we released most of them. It got to the point that we were arguing over who had to reel in the next fish. "You reel this one in... no, it's your turn". At one point we had a triple going. I guess I shouldn't complain, it was still a lot of fun. We ended up keeping 5 that were in the 15-16" range. We caught them at 20', 15', and at the surface with pop gear and wedding rings. Once again the pink hoochie wasn't producing.

Default Sunday at LP

Fished LP on Sunday. Caught over 20 kokes, but only 3 over 12", turned the rest loose. Failed to leave before the idiots overtook the boat ramp at Turner. They really need to pull that center dock out of there. Picture this:
    Two idiots tied their boats to the dock, one on each side. Now the 5 or so vehicles on the ramp waiting and the vehicles in line to get on the ramp at the top cannot use either side. The idiots whose boats are tied to the dock go up and get their vehicles, and get in line to wait. The line cannot move because their boats have rendered both sides of the ramp unusable. It boggles the mind. Does anyone know who I could contact at the bureau of rec to request that the dock be removed?

I feel your pain SM. My fear is removing the center dock will not cure the water maggot issue. They believe it's all about them and have no common courtesy, common respect and common sense.

Fished Wed ...Graet Day!! Caught our limits in about 4hrs. Mostly around
    the rock cliffs by the dam. 4 colors, used red & white Apex, Red huchies,
    tipped with Fire Corn and Mealworm. Lots of small ones near the pillars,
    but the larger ones were at the rocks cliffs by the dam. Lost a few, they
    go nuts when they see the boat, the Apex only has a single hook, so they
    spit it out near the boat..I'll have to re do them with double hooks. Only
    a few more weeks left before all the idiots come out, between Dock Rage,
    Speed boats, Cops and everything else, I'll proabally fish Arrowrock or
    Anderson.

Default A nice day of kokanee fishing today!

Finally got a chance to catch some koks today after chasing steelies all last month. Got my boat in the water around 11:30 and fished till 6. Got first hit within 5 minutes and released it. My buddy and I lost a total of 9 koks, released 11 small koks in the beginning, but decided to keep 10 of them towards the end of the day so I can smoke them whole. I caught my biggest kok to date and it measured 19'' and a fatty (see the pic). Took me about 10 min to get him in. Caught a 16'' kok (see the pic) to make number 12 to end the day. Orange and pink worked very well and I ran sling blades and hoochies/ R&K spinners all day. Happy fishing everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120503_175519.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	3666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1336086247005.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	3667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120503_170456.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	3668  
    Last edited by FiliIslander; 05-03-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Tuesday I caught 3 nice koke 16+'' and a 17'' rainbow. Plus about 15 kokes at the 11'' size. Lucky Peak is going off right now. On Friday I arrived at Turners boat launch just in time for the rain and 30mph winds. Watched 8 boats load up and leave. Took a nap in my truck. Woke about 3:30pm. Storm was tappering out. So I headed out. Had the whole lake to myself. Within 10 minutes I landed My first 17'' koke and within 2 hours had caught 16 kokes and managed to get 5 in the cooler. 1 jumped on to the board for me. another cleared the board and shook the hook mid air.

These fish can be so hard to judge size by the first bite. Many times the big guys hit like the dinkers then when I get them up close to the net they freak out! Diving, Jumping 3 ft in the air! I am trying to figure out how to ware them out while they are deep. But, it never fails to be a great show of power once they see the net.

They just don't like boats, do they?! Mike

Thumbs up Lucky Peak

FI,

Nice fish!!

Picked up a limit of six this morning. I had my first four keepers in the first twenty minutes with two quick double hookups. It then took me four hours of wading through a bunch of next years fish before I landed my last keeper. I can't remember a year when I have caught this many of the small two year old fish this early in the year. Most were near the dam, near the surface to 15 feet down. Wind was quite strong for a good part of the morning.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default Lucky Peak today

Took my boat today to LP. and boated24 kokes one trout. First time out to LP this year. There was 4 of us fishing. Hoochies in Pink, Green, and orange. On downriggers and leaded line. I haven't seen this big of Kokes in years. 16" was the norm.

Sounds like the fishing is getting great. It's been about 2 weeks, so I figure there might have been a change in water temp. Hopefully for the better. Anyone seen a recent temp?

Obviously again I'm going to be swimming up there in about 4.5 weeks so I'm hoping we've cracked the 50 mark.

It's still 47 degrees on the surface as of last saturday. They are still moving a lot of water out of the upper reservoirs which doesn't help warm the water. However, the forecast calls for temps in the upper 70 to low 80 degree mark by the weekend and snow melt is almost over and water flows should come back to normal soon. I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by koko71 View Post
    It's still 47 degrees on the surface as of last saturday. They are still moving a lot of water out of the upper reservoirs which doesn't help warm the water. However, the forecast calls for temps in the upper 70 to low 80 degree mark by the weekend and snow melt is almost over and water flows should come back to normal soon. I hope this helps
    Definitely helpful. While not the number I wanted to hear the higher temps and slowdown in snow melt should definitely help raise the temperature a on the surface.

Hopefully the fishing stays great for you guys over the coming weeks.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast