Thread: trolling weights

Default trolling weights

I've been trolling with inline weights for a few years now and was wondering if anyone had a depth chart that they use. I use either 2oz or 3oz sinkers and troll between .8mph and 1.4mph. I have a line counter reel so I can get back to the "zone" once I hook a fish, but when I see fish on the graph at say 42ft it would be nice to have an idea of how much line I should have out.

Thanks for your help,
    Biggg

Here's a couple charts but I have no idea how precise they are (i use downriggers.)

The Troll-Eze Depth Marker System goes by line angle. After you rig up exactly how you plan to fish set your speed and let out line until weight and lure are under water. After supporting the rod hold the line right at the tip. Hold the card so the line crosses the center of the bullseye and the top of the card is level (use the shoreline or horizon to measure level.) Note marker line on card that lines up closest with your line angle, then figure out the depth you want to fish and the number of pulls it will take to get you there by the table on back of the card. Each pull is 24" (place a mark on your rod 24" up from the front of the reel.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	www.rednekoutfitters.comweightchart3[1].jpg 
Views:	25971 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	3538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSCN0156.JPG 
Views:	3252 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	3539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSCN0157.JPG 
Views:	3003 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	3540  

Ray Rychnovsky's book "The Trollers Handbook" has extensive charts graphs and tables that deal wth depth under most practical scenarios of weights, line, speed, setback etc.New copies can be pricey(way pricey) but I found several copies in used,very good condition for 13 to 20 bucks on Amazon. It was recomended to me by several on the forum and Bill at sinker dropper .My 13.00 copy just arrived and its like new. Great book..

My advice would be save your pennys and get a couple manual crank downriggers they are fairly affordable. A couple years ago I finally got a couple Cannon downriggers and wouldn't go back to the guessing game. Money well spent!!