Thread: Which ipilot should I buy?

Talking Which ipilot should I buy?

I have a mid 80's 18foot seaswirl with a 350 chevy. I am currently trying to decide between an 80lb and 101 lb thrust minn kota with gps ipilot. Can anyone give me some insite on which I should get. Minn Kota advised 80 but said it could be right on the edge. Primarily lake fish but would probably use this to park in a river or two. Any one running one of these on a similar unit? Thanks in advance for the help

I don't run one but I would think with that heavy a boat you would want to go with the max you could. Don't forget, the wind comes up on those lakes..........
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Sorry, don't know which thrust you want, but did want to comment that if you haven't had an I-pilot before, you'll love it!!!

Most people I've talked to about bow mounted trolling motors wished they had gotten the next size larger, including myself. Wind & current have a huge effect on the performance of your motor.

I have a 80 lb Terrova on my 18ft it has more then I will ever need. The way I look at it if the wind is blowing off the spot its time to go in.

is your 18 outfitted like mine. Mines fiberglass open bow with a 350 v8. around 3200 lbs I think. Is your boat similar?

HIs has a 140 outboard and open bow. Sounds same same. No fish uses his hard all day long, flaming gorge wind.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

I run the terrova 101 on my 24' and it moves right along. You can always dial down your speed, but you cant dial it up.

I have a Custom Weld 19' Viper jet boat with a Riptide 80 w/ ipilot bow mounted. It works very well for kokanee fishing and I also use it for fishing on the Skagit river. It is the 24 volt model. It can easily move the boat at 2.5 knots. I really do like the autopilot as it can hold a course or track. With the wireless remote I can manage it from anywhere on the boat. I can easily get eight hours of fishing out of the unit.
    Hope this helps. Phil

My friend had a 101 on his 19' Duckworth and he thought it was a battery hog. The 101's are 36v so that means an extra battery to boot. My 21' deep V has a lot of drag and I am happy with my old 74 lbs thrust rip tide. I think an 80 lbs thrust would suit you well.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk