Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wounded Warrior Fishing Program

Quote Originally Posted by TrollNFisher View Post
    I have talk to Chris and Mr. Gabriel, and have agreed to the sponsorship for access to Fort Lewis for the WW fishing day. What this entails if you plan on using the Fort Lewis launch you have to be sponsored to get access to the installation. I will need everyone to PM me with their full name and the year and make of the model of vehicle they have. I will then intern compose a memo to turn into the Military police office signed by me. This will only speed up the process of gaining access; you will still have to stop at the main visitor’s center exit 120 to get a pass. At the visitors center you will be required to show proof of registration and insurance on all vehicles also upon entry all vehicles are subject to search. I know a lot have concealed weapons licenses please leave all weapons at home concealed weapons are not allowed on Fort Lewis. If you have any questions please PM me and I’ll respond to you, also as the date approaches I will complete a strip map to the launch and event site. Also I will provide you with my cell number in case there are any hiccups they can call me. I don't see a problem if you launch at other launches and come accross to the event if you wish. The visitors center will have a copy of the memo which will speed up the process.

Thanks TNF
    TNF,
    I'll be launching at Tillicum. Will I still need to give you my info? As I've moored up at Russell without any problems. Just wanted to make sure, since we will be meeting up with everyone on that side of the lake?

Winterun

We also have a VHF radio.

All we need now is a start time and a map.

Lets get it on!

T

T50 , so ready I can taste Kokanee. Warmer weather lately should help with the bite.

Chris,
    I have a VHF as well.

Thanks for the info. Kokanee Kid.
    I 'm hoping for 50%+ on the radios. should make it easier to coordinate things like lunch.

I do not have a VHF radio, someone will just have to yell loud enough!
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Quote Originally Posted by eenakoK View Post
    I do not have a VHF radio, someone will just have to yell loud enough!
    Ahhh but you have a cell phone...we have your number.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokonuts View Post
    Thanks for the Cabin info, It looks like I'll be staying in town Fri. & Sat. nights. Any ideas on a good place to stay not to far from the Lake? Money is an object!
    Is anyone else planning on staying for the weekend?

Kokonuts
    I will be staying one of the nights I think........ Depending on start time on Saturday I may stay over somewhere on Friday night. If I decide to make the drive Saturday morning I'm thinking I may want to kick up my heels Saturday night and not do the long haul home.

Let me know if you come up with somewhere decent to stay. Right now my options are friends or family in Bellevue which puts me an hour North in the wrong direction.

Jim

Hey all,

I'll be there. This is my first post, but I've been working with Dan Gabriel and will be taking out my first wounded warrior next week, April 5th.

I know you might not need the boat, but I will be there and available if you do. I generally fish for perch at American (ask the Kid about that, I have a method), but will be trying to boat some of those rascally kokanee with the veterans. Pretty much have all the gear, just not the experience fishing kokanee. Maybe Toni (Wannafish) can sell me some of her killer lures to help me boat some.

Anyway, let me know if I can help out.

randy

HookSetter
    I generally fish for perch at American (ask the Kid about that, I have a method)
    Right on brother

I have never seen anyone fish for perch like you do! And it works killer too!!! See you on the water soon.

HookSetter-Randy,
    Since we have already talked, let me say Welcome again. All we need is a start time and map to our launch point. As you're already working with Dan on this projrct, you will have more expierince than 2/3 of us at this. I don't anticipate very many problems. However let us know of your experience once you've done it.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by HookSetter View Post
    Hey all,

I'll be there. This is my first post, but I've been working with Dan Gabriel and will be taking out my first wounded warrior next week, April 5th.

I know you might not need the boat, but I will be there and available if you do. I generally fish for perch at American (ask the Kid about that, I have a method), but will be trying to boat some of those rascally kokanee with the veterans. Pretty much have all the gear, just not the experience fishing kokanee. Maybe Toni (Wannafish) can sell me some of her killer lures to help me boat some.

Anyway, let me know if I can help out.

randy
    What is it you want? Surly this year is different than last year!
    Toni
    Kokanee-Toni
    Last edited by Kokanee-Toni; 04-01-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Not to change the subject, but I will.
    43 years ago today I was commisioned as a 2nd Lt. Artillery at Fort Sill, OK.
    I still don't know who the joke was on.

Hello Fellow Kokanee Fishers,
    I talked to Dan Gabriel and TrollNFisher two days ago. Looks like our start time will be 8:00 A.M. Also we may have a few vets bring family members.
    All this means is that those of you that can take two fishers may get the chance to. Some of the fishers may only want to fishing the morning and some, only in the afternoon. We may have more than the original 12 vets, split in two shifts. Some fun
    Have any of you looked at the Columbia River vets post? Nice video of one of the other events.
    Map and rules to follow soon.

Chris

Chris -
    Thank you all the updates. This is going to be a great event!

Thanks Chris, This is going to be a LOT of FUNNN!!

Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Got go and mess up the day with rules

It's all good KD and I are ALL IN!!!!

The rules are not mine. They are your rules forJBLM and the Wounded Veterans Fishing Program. Rules such as no alcohol in the boats. Or no weapons on base. I don't know what else. Guess we find out what else when they are published.

Chris

It's all good. Been on base many times and I know the rules.

That includes rule #1: Leave all kokanee to be caught by guys named Chris.
    “No man is born an Artist nor an Angler.”
    Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by KokChris View Post
    That includes rule #1: Leave all kokanee to be caught by guys named Chris.

I think that rule got deleted somehow!

Suppose if it included DBfield it would find its way back in there?
    Izaak Walton

Default My first Wounded Veteran fishing outing.....

Hey All,

Made my first Wounded Veteran Fishing Program trip to American Lake yesterday, April 5th. Met Dan Gabriel, WVFP director, and James Mote, my fishing buddy for the day at the JBLM dock in the morning. James is on the left and Dan is on the right in the first pic.

Had a GREAT day on the water even though we caught no fish. We listened to music, ate chicken sammiches and generally just enjoyed the day. I think for James it was just a day to get away from responsibility and do something relaxing. He appeared to really enjoy it. I know he liked the music.

The second pic is at the Lakewood dock takeout. James and my friend Rick, who also fished with us. That's my boat, so if you see us on the water give us a shout out.

Toni, was that you in the little boat we passed? Looked like the downrigger the Kokanee Kid rigged for you. When we passed it looked like you were doing about as well as we were.

For those of you thinking about taking a wounded veteran out, DO IT!!!!! It is incredibly rewarding to think you might add a ray of sunshine to their day. Lessons learned from the first day? No tomatoes on the chicken sammich for James, and more fish next trip.

A big shout out to Mike and the guys at Ted's Sporting Goods for helping out with some fishing supplies. Every little bit helps.

Next trip as soon as Dan can schedule it. See you on the water!!!!

randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WVFP2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	3559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWFP1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	3560  

Nice boat Randy. Only way it could have been better was to catch fish. Some days are like that. Good job.

Randy I believe that was me. I exchanged waves with someone on your boat and I thought about shouting out but I wasnt sure yet if it was you. Well done on the trip! Fish or no fish, what a day to be on the lake! I hope to make it on the 28th. I would love to meet you fellas and some great men and women that serve the greatest nation on Earth.
    Izaak Walton

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast