Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wounded Warrior Fishing Program

Either day works for me, I can take 2 vets and stay all day! This is gonna be great!

Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

The kokanee dominator and I will also take 2. You pick the date and we will make it happen! I'm guna try to get some free t-shirts or hats from Pautzke. And eenakoK is going to try to get some from RMT. I will see what I can come up with. May need some t-shirt sizes tho.
    Last edited by Kokanee Kid; 03-19-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Chris,
    Dan is a great guy to work with. I have worked with him and the members of the Evergreen Bass Club whom one of my prostaffers belongs too on a project called "Take a Warrior Fishing" on American Lk. Let me say all the "Vets" that I met, and their families are very grateful for the opportunity to get out and wet a line. Even though it was a bass fishing event, I offered to take them fishing for whatever they desired.
    So please count myself in to take a couple of vets fishing! Just let me know the details!

Winterun

Default Wounded Veterans Fishing Program

I'm going to make a list fo every one that has volumteered to help and the number of vets that they can carry. If I've got it wrong, correct me please.

1-Kokonuts 2 vets Wheelchair friendly
    2-eenakok 1 vet
    3-lowe1648mt 2 vets
    4-TrollNFisher 2 vets Wheelchair frendly
    5-Blue Knight 2 vets
    6-Kokanee Slayer 2 vets
    7-Old Guy 2 vets
    8-Kokanee Kid 2 vets
    9-Winterun 2 vets
    --------------------------------
    9 boats 17 vets - not everone will have 2 vets as Dan ( our contact) says 12 vets.

I am hoping to be able to grill some Koks for lunch. I will bring my grill, but with at least 20 people( maybe 30) I wonder if we need another grill?
    Heaven forbid, we don't catch any koks, we need to bring an alternative food. Maybe some brats & Buns? Potato salad would go good. Drinks?

We have a sponsor that is willing to donate t-shirts and some other goodies
    Anything else you can come up with for ideas?

Date ( chooice between April 28th and May 5th) to be decided by our contact w/ W. vets. Same for start time and launch site. I hear there are two on JBLM.
    Thanks Chris

Default Rowing info

Quote Originally Posted by lowe1648mt View Post
    I'm going to make a list fo every one that has volumteered to help and the number of vets that they can carry. If I've got it wrong, correct me please.

1-Kokonuts 2 vets Wheelchair friendly
    2-eenakok 1 vet
    3-lowe1648mt 2 vets
    4-TrollNFisher 2 vets Wheelchair frendly
    5-Blue Knight 2 vets
    6-Kokanee Slayer 2 vets
    7-Old Guy 2 vets
    8-Kokanee Kid 2 vets
    9-Winterun 2 vets
    --------------------------------
    9 boats 17 vets - not everone will have 2 vets as Dan ( our contact) says 12 vets.

I am hoping to be able to grill some Koks for lunch. I will bring my grill, but with at least 20 people( maybe 30) I wonder if we need another grill?
    Heaven forbid, we don't catch any koks, we need to bring an alternative food. Maybe some brats & Buns? Potato salad would go good. Drinks?

We have a sponsor that is willing to donate t-shirts and some other goodies
    Anything else you can come up with for ideas?

Date ( chooice between April 28th and May 5th) to be decided by our contact w/ W. vets. Same for start time and launch site. I hear there are two on JBLM.
    Thanks Chris
    The 6th of May there is suppose to be some rowing meet on American. They might be practicing on Saturday. They don't watch out and it isn't to hard to avoid them just irritating.

I may be interested but would have to know the date so I can arrange the day off. Usually not a problem but need to give some notice.

I can take two or three depending on if Dad comes along.

T

Thanks for the info Kokanee-Toni. Our contact (Dan) has picked the date that works for him. Looks like it will be April 28th. I realize that it is opening day for lowland trout lakes, but we fish for Kokanee!
    T50- I hope that date is OK with you.
    There is a picnic shelter. Gate passes are not a problem as long as we get a sponsor.( Darren?)
    All boats have to be registered, insured and equiped with all the required saftey gear.
    That isall for now. Any more thoughts or questions, contact me.
    Thankyou Chris

Chris,
    Yes the trout opener might be a tough deal. Already had a couple of folks from Tica Reels scheduled to fish that day. If we are firm on the "Wounded Warrior" program, I can see if I can reschedule the Tica guys for Sunday.

Winterun

Dan, our Wounded Vet. Coordinator, picked that day as the one that would work best for him. No one else had stated a preferance between the two date I put forward.
    Bring them along. They can meet some of our people, meet the vets, and we have 10 boats for 12 vets. Most of our boats said they could take 2 vets.
    Problem solved? Chris

A quick question regarding those that may not have time to be there in the am to start or perhaps those that cant be there all day, Is it possible to meet these men/women and shake a few hands during the break period? I would volunteer to be there all day but I have an event to go to May 5th (afternoon). Im not sure what the regs are regarding a random guy mooring up on base lol. I would just put in at public launch, fish around a bit and meet/greet when possible?

-Chris
    “No man is born an Artist nor an Angler.”
    Izaak Walton

Default Wounded Veterans Fishing Day

I don't know the regs. on base.It might be possible, but I'll have to find out fron some one that knows. It has been 41 years since I was in the Army. Any answers out there?

lowe,

I was fishing with Dan Gabriel the other day when you called him. In fact, when he had to answer the phone, I got to fight the fish for 5 minutes or so while you talked…..thanks.

I am active duty at McChord and can say that IF I am around and not springer fishing with my family in Oregon, I could possibly help you out locally here at American Lake. I am also the point man for the upcoming Olympia PSA salmon derby so I am pretty busy so I cannot commit to too much, but might be in town on Apr 28th. I will watch here to see how it is going.

Tally Ho

Quote Originally Posted by Tally Ho View Post
    lowe,

I was fishing with Dan Gabriel the other day when you called him. In fact, when he had to answer the phone, I got to fight the fish for 5 minutes or so while you talked…..thanks.

I am active duty at McChord and can say that IF I am around and not springer fishing with my family in Oregon, I could possibly help you out locally here at American Lake. I am also the point man for the upcoming Olympia PSA salmon derby so I am pretty busy so I cannot commit to too much, but might be in town on Apr 28th. I will watch here to see how it is going.

Tally Ho
    Thanks for your support and offer. We'll see what develops.
    Chris

Count me in I can take 2 I would be honored to help out anytime any military person wants to go fishing I'd take them I'm pumped let's make it happen

And whoever goes with me will get to dominate the Kokanee dominator for sure

Welcome KingChinook. If you've read all posts,first to last, then you know you will need all the required saftey gear, insurance,and your boat registration. Friday or Saturday a more detailed plan of times and locations will be forthcoming. We now have as many boats as Wounded Vets. We may get a few walk on troopers. I don't seethis as a problem. Does anyone else have a problem with this? If so, speak up.
    Chris.

April 28th works for me.

Default Wounded Vets Fishing

Thank you T50 . We will be glad to see you there .

Chris
    Last edited by lowe1648mt; 03-25-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Default Sponsorship

I have talk to Chris and Mr. Gabriel, and have agreed to the sponsorship for access to Fort Lewis for the WW fishing day. What this entails if you plan on using the Fort Lewis launch you have to be sponsored to get access to the installation. I will need everyone to PM me with their full name and the year and make of the model of vehicle they have. I will then intern compose a memo to turn into the Military police office signed by me. This will only speed up the process of gaining access; you will still have to stop at the main visitor’s center exit 120 to get a pass. At the visitors center you will be required to show proof of registration and insurance on all vehicles also upon entry all vehicles are subject to search. I know a lot have concealed weapons licenses please leave all weapons at home concealed weapons are not allowed on Fort Lewis. If you have any questions please PM me and I’ll respond to you, also as the date approaches I will complete a strip map to the launch and event site. Also I will provide you with my cell number in case there are any hiccups they can call me. I don't see a problem if you launch at other launches and come accross to the event if you wish. The visitors center will have a copy of the memo which will speed up the process.

Thanks TNF
    Last edited by TrollNFisher; 03-25-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Any chance of getting a Cabin or Tent space at the Camp Ground? I'll be comming up from Lake Merwin.

If not do you know of a good place to stay for a few days?

Thanks Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Quote Originally Posted by Kokonuts View Post
    Any chance of getting a Cabin or Tent space at the Camp Ground? I'll be comming up from Lake Merwin.

If not do you know of a good place to stay for a few days?

Thanks Kokonuts
    PM Sent

TNF

Quote Originally Posted by TrollNFisher View Post
    PM Sent

TNF
    I had the same question for Mr. Gabriel. He was going to check on it.
    Chris

Default Camping /Cabins

I just got off the line with the reservation phone # at the Army Travel Camp att JBLM. I made reservations for a cabin for 2 nights. Only $60/ night. They have tent sites, and trlr sites. Also very reasonable.
    If you are active, Reserves, 100% Disabled Vet, or have a DoD card you to can rent.

Anyone Have further needs for The Wounded Veterrans Fishing Program? Other than map and start time?
    I have a question. How many boats carry a radio? And what type? It would be nice to be able to communicate. I carry a vhf.
    Chris

Thanks for the Cabin info, It looks like I'll be staying in town Fri. & Sat. nights. Any ideas on a good place to stay not to far from the Lake? Money is an object!
    Is anyone else planning on staying for the weekend?

Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast