Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wounded Warrior Fishing Program

Default Wounded Warrior Fishing Program

Today I contacted Mr. Dan Gabriel ,who is the program manager for the Wounded Veterans Fishing Program. He sounded very interested in Helping US run a fishing day for wounded vets. So much so that if we can pick a day, provide boats ,rods, and bait, He will take the lead and set it up with the authorities on base . That will mean that we can use their launch ramp on post. I don't know yet if we will be able to use thier camp ground for those that need to stay the night.
    dan also said if we use the base and the Wounded Veterans Fishing Program, the wounded vets won't need to buy a fishing license.
    Any thoughts as to what time of season might work for us as a group? And what would be a good time of the season for catching some fish.?
    Your thoughts please. Chris

Chris Count me in!
    The only dates that I have so far are the Oregon Kokanee Power Derby's. May 19th, June 16th, July 14th, Aug. 18th.

Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Richard,
    Will do. Now all we need are a few more good men. Sounds like the sequel to a movie. Since I haven't yet fished American , would an early date like May 12th be better than in say June? (speed boats)

I would be more than willing to help out. I could only take 1 person though with my small boat. My only condition is that I can't do it on Sundays. If is possibly can be on a Saturday, I would LOVE to participate.
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Quote Originally Posted by eenakoK View Post
    I would be more than willing to help out. I could only take 1 person though with my small boat. My only condition is that I can't do it on Sundays. If is possibly can be on a Saturday, I would LOVE to participate.
    Sounds good to me. I can only take 3/2 if my wife goes along to help.

I can take 2-3 Do you know if they will be taking people in wheelchairs?

Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Don't be shy. Step up and volunteer. At least offer a suggestion on how to make it better. You don't have to be a member to help. You don't have to be a veteran to help. Support your troops.
    Thanks, Chris

Kokonuts,
    I can find out. I don't believe they will send anyone that is not capable of sitting in your boat. Also I sure the Wounded Veteran Fishing Program has handled these situations before.

I can throw my grill in my truck. Maybe the vets would like to try some fresh koks. Any Ideas?

Chris,

Count me in, I'd shoot for sometime in May, but the earlier we do it April-early May the less chance of skiers.

I'm in as long as I can get the day off work or work a trade with someone at work. I can take 2 as the wife will want to be involved as well. Never fish American lake but have talked about it and researched for a few years now.

Thank you for making this contact. If there is something I can do to help coordinate PM me and we can get in touch.

Just an awesome program I would be honored to be involved with!

Jim

Thank You Darren and Jim for volunteering. That brings us up to 10 W. Vets on the water at a time. We may want to run 2 sessions. One Morning, and one afternoon. Your thoughts please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokonuts View Post
    I can take 2-3 Do you know if they will be taking people in wheelchairs?

Kokonuts
    I have had vets in wheelchairs on the pontoon, they love it and appreciate the mobility to move around, grab the rod, net the fish etc. They move around so well you soon forget they are even in a chair Also great to put a remote control predator call on shore, anchor out wait a bit and pop coyotes. They NEVER look out in the water.. Wish I were closer, I would be with you guys. THANKS They are our heros...

You can count me in as well. As for the time frame, I agree with Darren.

I should Clarify, I can only take 1 as my two boys would love to be apart of that and I would want that.

Can someone tell me where American Lake is? Sorry, I'm from Ellensburg and it would most likely be a trek for me, but if possible, I would be very interested.

Also, IF you did two sessions, would there be enough retired folks or people that have days off during the middle of the week to make a mid week trip one of the two sessions?

Bogey

count me in. I could take two. Any time would be o.k

The Kokanee Dominator and I would be happy to get some vet's on fish! Count us in!

Bogey
    Can someone tell me where American Lake is?
    A little south of Tacoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee Kid View Post
    The Kokanee Dominator and I would be happy to get some vet's on fish! Count us in!

A little south of Tacoma.
    In Lakewood by where Joint Base Lewis-McChord is.

A few minutes ago I got an answer on the number of Wounded Vets from our contact person. He said 12 was the opimum number for this type of outing. There should be very few if any in wheel chairs. Looks like fishing,lunch,and more fishing ,if the w. vets are up for it. If not up for it, fish with out them if you want.
    Right now, we have 8 boats signed up. That will work. If you want to help anyway, 12 boats would be ok. 1 W. vet per boat. Easy to handle.
    If they are biting, Grill some koks, throw some potato salad at them, and call it lunch.
    Then take them back out.
    Does that sound ok to you? Let me know. We will make it happen.
    Chris
    If not biting, we may have to spring for some bratwurst & bunns.
    Dates in negotiation. April 28th, May 5th, May12th.
    Last edited by lowe1648mt; 03-17-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Sounds great to me! Those dates work for me. Sounds like a great time. Thank you for putting this together!

Looks like it's been narrowed down to saturday April 28th or saturday May 5th. Next is to see which day of the two works for the Wounded Veterans Coordinator. I'll keep in touch. Chris
    Last edited by lowe1648mt; 03-18-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: slow fingers/ fat fingers

Quote Originally Posted by lowe1648mt View Post
    Looks like it's been narrowed down to saturday April 5th or saturday May 5th. Next is to see which day of the two works for the Wounded Veterans Coordinator. I'll keep in touch. Chris
    Did you mean May 5th?

Sorry, Yes I meant April 28th or May 5th. Sometimes my mind goes faster that my fingers.( always)

no problem, I always have that problem!

Look forward to more details!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast