Thread: Buckboard Derby???

Question Buckboard Derby???

So does anyone have result on the derby?

Here is a link to the radioistation that covered the derby.

http://www.theradionetwork.net/Fishi...%20Results.htm
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Thanx propnut. Looks like a great turn out. Surprised that the lakers wasn't any bigger. But some nice size kokes though.

fishonlynch took 4th in the kokaneegunfighter
    I just know stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Petty4life View Post
    fishonlynch took 4th in the kokaneegunfighter
    Congrats to Fishonlynch. thats pretty cool. Wish I could have been there to take 3rd....JK LOL But way to go anyways..

I would have guessed that someone would have found some big kokes by now. I know that the weather wasn't that great this weekend but it is weird to only have two kokes over 4 pounds for both derbies. Might be an off year but I'm still thinking the weather has it about 2-3 weeks behind, maybe more. To many good fisherman out there to only have one koke even close to four pounds. Who knows maybe just a smaller age class this year. Congrates to fishonlynch for getting a little money back from them.

i think with the cooler weather and more water this year we will get a longer growing season on the kokes before they go into spawn mode,and possibly get some bigger kokes, i read some where that if the hot weather doesn't push them so deep that they are out of there plankton buffet zone then they eat and eat and eat and there lovin it but when there comfort temp zone is so deep the buffet is not offered then instinctively its spawn time, during the buffet period they say they grow an inch a month, so if thats true those 16-19"ers 2-3.5lbs will be 19-22"ers 3 -4.5lbs around august/september. They say this holds true at the gorge seeing it is such a great reservoir for them. just some of my readings about the kokanee.

I have to agree that with the weather,played a part in the low numbers for the derby.Couple that with the amount of pressure from the derby,and it's not really that surprizing to see the low weights for all of the fish that won.I remember derbies past ,where a 25 lbs mack would of taken only 3rd place.

As for the kokes,I think that the bigger fish will turn up soon. If summer ever gets here ,and the temps start to climb it will help.We had such a great population of small kokes last year,that I think the best fishing it yet to come.Everyone that I talked to said they had no problems catching kokes but they just weren't big enough to place.

Quote Originally Posted by kokehead View Post
    Thanx propnut. Looks like a great turn out. Surprised that the lakers wasn't any bigger. But some nice size kokes though.

I think i'll fish this derby next yeargunfighter
    I just know stuff...

I have always found the buckboard derby to be a lot of fun. A few years that I wasn't fishing the derby,I was a on the water judge,and always enjoyed that too. I think(at least for me) that you have to have the right mind set to fish a derby and have fun. You can't think about the money invested,or whats happens if you don't catch a big fish.I always look at fishing a derby as the same as going to Wendover.I know I'm going to lose my money,but I'm going to have a great time doing it.

i am fishing it next yr for sure.

I'm definitally going to make it next year even if I have to put a second on the house to pay for the gas prices LOL

We weren't in the derby, but fished that weekend. That was pretty tough weather for a derby. We didn't even fish Saturday morning due to rain. We did catch a 4.5 lb koke that would have won the derby! But, we weren't in it... and we caught it on Tuesday! Oh well. Maybe next year we'll fish the derbies.