Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: merwin

Nice job. What where they hitting and how far back was your line from the boat? You are killing me I'm going to have to buy a Washington license, get the boat out of storage and going fishing after seeing that picture.

Good job on the early season fishing trip.

Fish on kokaneekid
    Kokaneekid@kokaneekidfishing.com
    Last edited by kokaneekid; 02-28-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Let me rephrase my question.... cuz I know you weren't using downriggers. We were on the lake as well. The gray Northriver. We didn't have the same kind of luck.

I was trying to ask what type of flashers and lure you were using. We tried everything in our arsenal.

Shasta sling blades, hootchies and wiggle hootchies. Color didn't seem to matter, what mattered was speed and direction of troll. They wanted it ssssslllllllooooooowwwwwww that day...

took a few min to find em, but it was good once we did today

looks like a guide operation
    may as well put out gill nets.
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

Smile Merwin 3/9/12

I made my first trip to Merwin this year. It was a beautiful day. I spent about a half hour scouting for fish. I finally got my line in the water at 0745. In the next hour I caught four. The fifth one took another 1/2 hour. I caught three on a red wedding ring behind a uv slingblade fished 70 feet back and 10 feet down. The other two were caught on a fire tiger spinner that I make also behind a uv slingblade fished 60 feet back and 10 feet down. My fish were not as big as some of the fish that I have seen posted this year. My fish ranged from 12-13 1/4 inches. When I left around 1030 there were 22 trailers in the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokecatcher View Post
    I made my first trip to Merwin this year. It was a beautiful day. I spent about a half hour scouting for fish. I finally got my line in the water at 0745. In the next hour I caught four. The fifth one took another 1/2 hour. I caught three on a red wedding ring behind a uv slingblade fished 70 feet back and 10 feet down. The other two were caught on a fire tiger spinner that I make also behind a uv slingblade fished 60 feet back and 10 feet down. My fish were not as big as some of the fish that I have seen posted this year. My fish ranged from 12-13 1/4 inches. When I left around 1030 there were 22 trailers in the lot.

Nice first trip of the year! Thanks for the information!
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Quote Originally Posted by smokin' Kokes View Post
    looks like a guide operation
    may as well put out gill nets.
    lol how so? I fish 3-5 rods no matter how many people in my boat

Quote Originally Posted by deucerider View Post
    went fishing to merwin last weekend feb 2 time koke fishin hooked over 50, landed 25, 4 limits, average fish 12 to 13 inches not badd way to start out hoochies R K sling blades 8 inch drop 10 ft on downriggers and 12 ounce weights on long rods all colors http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/f...on7.giffencing
    Way to get into em deucerider!! I'm assuming the "12 ounce weights" is a misprint...

Default miss print

1/2 ounce 3/4 ounce last week another 20 fish in the boat nice weekend

Default Sat. 31st. & Sun. April 1st.

Sat. was cold windy & Raining. I fished from 8:00 to 1:00 for 2 fish before going in.
    Sun. went out about the same time to my SPOT near the Dam and lost 3 part way to the boat in a hurry. Moved farther down because I saw several boats so it must be good! Not really so after a few hours of moving around, I made my way back and hit them hard with 2 sets of doubles, lost 1 of those then a couple of singles. It was all over in less that 1 hour. They were all right on top, I always use my DR's so I set the Ball just deep enough that the Release is about 1 ft. below the surface.
    I used R&K Micro Hoochies (Chartuse) with the treble hook & a Vance's Green Dodger. The Micro Hoochies are so small I dont put anything on the hook.
    R&K are my Favorite Hoochies, Robby makes the best in 3 different sizes. His colors are great!

Kokonuts
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Default hoochies

yep i like those micros hot tails and pink , dont lose nearly as many fish with the trebles , most fish are at the 10 to 12 ft on the down riggers, half ounce to three quarters ounce weights on long rods with limits most days out ,this spring a little corn soaked in bloody tuna the new water soluable formula works great! pink uv sling blades but try and match houchies up with same color sling blades , been doing best in the afternoons it seems like good luck to all u kokanuts out their

Went out today around noon. in first hour caught 1 lost couple two hours in landed couple more left around 4:30 lost a total of 8 rained it's butt off today spent more time tryin to stay dry then fishinggreat time though.

Smile Merwin 4/6/12

I made my second trip to Merwin this year. The morning started off with a 13 inch kokanee five minutes after I got my line in the water. It looked like it would be another quick limit like I had on March 9. The lake gods ,however, had other plans. It took me seven hours to catch five. It was very pleasant until 1015. Then it rained, hailed, rained some more and hailed some more. The only thing positive about the weather was that there was not any wind to deal with. I marked a lot of fish between 13 and 22 feet. I had four hits at 15 feet on a red wedding ring behind a UV sling blade and three hits on a fire tiger spinner also behind a UV sling blade. I tried different flashers,trolls and lures with no success. I could not even get a hit on the silver scale apex which almost always works for me. I tried the surface, 5, 10, 25 feet without any hits. The surface water temperature was 44. Even though it was slow it was nice to get out on the water. When I returned to the dock a little after 1300 there were about thirty trailers in the lot. There were also two large trailers in the overflow lot. I don't know about you but I am ready for some better weather!

Congratulations GoneCatchin, Thanks for sharing the information. outstanding picture, and a nice boat.

Fished merwin sat.Started off slow then picked up untill the wind started Blowing. I changed hooks on wedding ringing seem that we lost more fish with no4 sickle hooks then i ever did with no4 drop shot hooks anybody have any problem with the sickle hooks? netted 10 nice kokes but lost 20 all hooks are tandem Thanks in advance

Smile hooks

fished sunday limits 15 in boat had trouble keeping on the last few fish dont care for those sickle hooks love the hoochies micros still the best way to go hot tail orange and glow was hot on downriggers at 12 to 13 feet was windy but still managed limits off the water by 2pm started at 9am water temp slowly coming up 1.3 1.5 best speed i have found i use trolling plate to keep speed down if wind pushing to hard cross troll to keep that speed in control near middle of lake near cabins down stream good luck out their

Kokecatcher- nice meeting you today, I'm the one that had the Arima.

BTW, I think it was my first skunk at Merwin.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by widgeon View Post
    Fished merwin sat.Started off slow then picked up untill the wind started Blowing. I changed hooks on wedding ringing seem that we lost more fish with no4 sickle hooks then i ever did with no4 drop shot hooks anybody have any problem with the sickle hooks? netted 10 nice kokes but lost 20 all hooks are tandem Thanks in advance
    I started using drop shot hooks a couple of years ago. I get a few hits that don't hook but once a fish is hooked I have a very high catch rate. I think that these are the best hooks for kokanee. I tried sickle hooks but like you lost a lot of fish.

Smile Merwin 4/13/12

Today it was really slow. I fished four hours before I got my first hit. I was marking fish at 15-24 feet but they did not want what I was offering. I fished a little over six hours catching three and two hits that did not hook. All my hits were at 15 feet on a red wedding ring behind a UV sling blade. I talked to a lot of people and most were also having a slow day. I spoke to one fisherman who had a limit he caught just outside the entrance to Speelyai Bay! The weather was nice and I had the pleasure of talking with old friends Kokonuts and Mel and making a new friend Xplorz. All considered it was a really nice day.

Went out today at 8 am. Was done with 2 limits by 11 am. Sling blade with pink hochie at 4 foot on the downriger and 30 pulls out ,And flat lining and ford fender with green wedding ring at 90' out.

Went out yesterday too, thanks Yimmee for putting me on the fish. I got my limit, not as fast as some, lost 4 so that took extra time. Beautiful day out there! Talked to 4 different boats at the dock, only 1 fish between them. I mentioned to them to get on the forum, lots of great people and advice here.
    When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras...

Default Merwin

Fished Friday from 6:30 -10:30. 2 limits and lost some(3-6) at the boat(death roll) and had a dozen hits. 11" - 13" fish. Went to Yale afterward and not even a sniff in 5 hours.

Smile Merwin 4/24/12

I fished Merwin this morning. I arrived in the dark and left the dock in the dark. I talked to Perry who opens the gates and he is now opening the gate at Cresap Bay by 0500. When I left Speelyai about 0515 I saw trailer lights to the east. I spent about 45 minutes scouting. I could not find any concentrations of fish. I started fishing at 0600 in an area where I have caught fish this time of year in the past. I usually use downriggers but today I used 1 oz of lead 75-80 feet back. On one pole I had a red wedding ring and the other a gold and white wedding ring. Both were fished behind UV sling blades. I had four in the boat by 0650, lost one at 0655 and finally caught the fifth kokanee at 0730. The fish were a bit smaller than my past few trips. They were 12-13 1/4. The sky looked like it was about ready to dump a ton of water but ther was just a fine mist. The wind was nice and calm. I was surprised at how few boats were on the lake. When I finally left around 0830 there were only 18 trailers in the lot.

The bite must have been early... we were out around 1130 and only picked up three over five hours.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast