Thread: Ice fishing techniques for kokanee

Angry Ice fishing techniques for kokanee

Hi,
    I have been fishing forever, being older than dirt. But Kokanee have me stumped.
    I have had very sporadic success.
    I fish in Dutch lake , Clearwater, BC but have also fished in sulphurous, Deka, Bridge with mixed success.
    I am talking ice fishing as I target trout in open water season, as a fly fisherman.
    First of all can anyone tell me of a good book on koke ice fishing? I haven't found one yet.
    What about your flasher, I have been using the Deka lake flasher with the glow hook that comes with it. I think the glow hook is too big but what do I know.
    Fish it about sixteen inches below flasher with any where from one to five maggots.
    I will get nothing but small ones while another guy five feet away will be pulling in big ones.
    Don't get me wrong I have had some good days but mostly frustration.
    I think they are hard to catch through the ice.
    Any help or advice you can give will be much appreciated.
    19calvin

First of all, there is no book that I'm aware of. I don't use a hook on the attractor spoon. I use a light leader and use two small pink jigs tied 6" below the attractor and then 6" below that. I prefer using corn as bait but a small piece of meal worm or even maggots work.

Now, the biggest thing about catching kokes is being able to 'see' them. To fish successfully for this fish you really need some sort of fish finder or flasher set up. These fish tend to change depths daily. They also like to be over water that is a certain depth and until you find what we call a common 'pressure ridge' or depth to fish over you will only find sporadic Kokes. Ask someone who is on them what depth of water they are fishing over and what depth they are fishing at.

Lastly, the largest Kokes are at the bottom of the school. This is a protection mechanism to keep large predators from hitting the belly of the school from below. With a fish finder you can see the school is maybe 10' tall in the water column and you need to be at the bottom of that 10'. If not, you will only catch 1 to 2 year old fish.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet