Thread: Idaho Newbie

Thumbs up Idaho Newbie

Fairly new member here.

I've visited the site for awhile now and have decided I want to start fishing for Kokanee. I'm in Boise, ID and we have a couple of different choices of reservoirs to go chase this awesome fish.

I'm almost 44 and have hunted and fished all my life. I grew up in W'rn WA chasing steelhead and blacktails in the rain forest. I've hunted a little bit for various big-game species and have taken a few animals. Lately, my hunting has been geared toward waterfowl. Nothing is a neat as have flock of honker locked up on the decoys. Although we have a fair amount of fishing available around here, I haven't done much.

Like I said, I want to learn to catch kokes. I have a boat (although not the best...fiberglass bass boat) and am going to make do with what I've got as a new boat is out of the question (for the short term..might be more of an option in 3-5 years). Santa recently brought me a down rigger (currently working on some ideas on how to retrofit the bass boat for that) and am working on picking up a second one. Also have picked up a decent trolling rod/reel. (older) Bass boat has an electric trolling motor that I'm going to try and troll with.

Obviously, if I win the lotto I'm buying a new boat and installing a $2500-$3500 Furuno but until then I'll have to figure out how to make what I've got work.

Happy New Year!

~ AO

Welcome avid outdoorsman , to the KokaneeFishingForum Boards. We are happy to have you with us, you will not be sorry you joined . There is a Boat load of Great information and help here and a bunch of great folks. Welcome again

Welcome to the forum Avid Outdoorsman. There are several of us from the Boise area on this forum who can help you get started in your kokanee quest. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and let us know when you head to the lake next spring. I will keep an eye out for the bass boat, covered in goose feathers, sporting a shiny new downrigger.
    In all seriousness, your bass boat should work out just fine for trolling as long as the wind on Lucky Peak or Arrowrock doesn't get to bad. Good luck with the downrigger mounting project. Sounds like a fun winter project. Post some pictures so we can see how it comes out. Once again welcome to KFF.
    Last edited by sawtooth; 12-31-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Avid-Outdoorsman!
    There's lots of great projects others have completed and posted their pics. Check them out on the General Boat, Motor & Trailer Maintenance Forum here on the site.

Welcome aboard Avid Outdoorsman!! Be sure to check out the archives and the reports from your neck of the woods...plenty of info to help you out. If you have any questions there's alot of guys that are very knowlegable here. Again, welcome to KFF!!

Thumbs up Welcome

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I stopped in at the Tackle Shack the other day.

Anyone who hasn't been needs to stop by. Great people who will treat you right! Joe is first class.

You guys out of town should keep them in mind too. Often (I believe) they have free shipping on orders over a certain value.

Anyone in the Treasure Valley who sees a blue Stratos bass boat out there retrofitted for kokanee (minus the goose feathers ) give a shout out.

~ AO

avid - welcome your right about joe he is a class act santa brought me a new net from the shack again welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by avid_outdoorsman View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I stopped in at the Tackle Shack the other day.

Anyone who hasn't been needs to stop by. Great people who will treat you right! Joe is first class.

You guys out of town should keep them in mind too. Often (I believe) they have free shipping on orders over a certain value.

Anyone in the Treasure Valley who sees a blue Stratos bass boat out there retrofitted for kokanee (minus the goose feathers ) give a shout out.

~ AO
    I was at the tackle shack first part of last month and will be back up there in march. Joe and Janet are awesome peoples...
    I just know stuff...