Thread: Dodger Blank Alternatives?

Default Dodger Blank Alternatives?

Hello all,
    I'm thinking about putting together some dodgers for Trout and Kokanee. I've come across Hagen's trolling spoon blanks which seem like a good place to start. The obvious candidates for blanks to start with are the Dakota Dodger (Looks like your 'classic' Dodger) and the Trolling Thin Spoon which is the 'sling blade' style and less wide towards one end. Beyond that, however there seem to be a number of other less conventional candidates:
    • Kach Moor (3.75" and 5.75")
    • Diamond Thin Spoon (3 3/8", perhaps a bit small)
    • Crow Spoon (4" Version)

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using these spoon blanks (or the two I mentioned earlier) and has any incite on how well they they move, build quality, how well they take paint, etc. I wish that they did a "sample pack" to check different finishes, etc. but I know I'm not their key demographic :)

SK ,I recently got some of the smaller crow spoons. They have great action at slow speed ,I'm planning on getting the 4" size to use as dodgers ,should work great. Also have used the F.S.T. and Manistee (pretty much the same blank) both have worked well as dodgers .

Kokonuts has a skill for making a "shoe horn" dodger.

The only thing is you have to buy a pair of shoes at Nordstrom's to get your supplies.
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

SculpinKing it good to see your thinking is outside the box there are numerous other wobblers on the market I've been using Alvins/Simmons/Cascade/Diamond Spot wobblers I had one pattern in all three wobblers the same/( custom painted) and the Cascade really performed excellent and they all paint up nicely these are all wobblers use for SALMON fishing removing the hooks and trolled with.

Default Crystal Basin Tackle

I am a firm believer in supporting the Tackle Company's like Crystal Basin and all the others! I am also a member of "Oregon Kokanee Power" & fish the derbys they hold. At the derbys the Tackle Co's. DONATE hundreds of dollars for prize's and I know that they contributue in many ways to our sport. Matt & I have held our SW Washington "Family Day" the past three years and they have also donated a LOT of gear to us.
    Those of you who know me & how much gear I have can attest to that! At the same time the same people can tell you of my many "Creations & Stuff" that I make! Some of my home made stuff has worked very well and some not so good but thats the fun part.

Matt mentioned the shoe horn form Nordstroms. "Nordie" works well and I still have it in my box. I simply used a vise to flatten it out & leave a little bend in it, added some tape and fished it!

So to some it up, I probably buy 75 to 80% of my gear & have Funnn making the rest!

Kokonuts
    Last edited by Kokonuts; 10-24-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Where Ever I Go
    There I Am

Quote Originally Posted by trollmonkey View Post
    SK ,I recently got some of the smaller crow spoons. They have great action at slow speed ,I'm planning on getting the 4" size to use as dodgers ,should work great. Also have used the F.S.T. and Manistee (pretty much the same blank) both have worked well as dodgers .
    Thanks for the tip. I found some clearance Manistee spoons a couple weeks ago for $1 a piece and picked them up to try out.