Thread: Using a Black Box

Default Using a Black Box

Ok guys, I am pretty sure that this subject has already been talked about . But I am going to ask anyway , because I couldn't seem to find anything on it here so here goes. Does anyone here use the Blackbox for fishing ? I don't know if I'm going to use one , but I would like your Honest opinions and comments. Can you help me out?

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

My advice would be to check to see if your boat is set up properly with a voltmeter. I installed the black box years ago but honestly my catch rate hasn't changed that much since the boat wasn't "hot" to begin with. You can dial in the best volts for kokes but the only time it's gonna be effective is while useing short set-backs. Alot of days running close to the ball works very well but there are also those days when getting alittle farther back puts more fish in the cooler. Keep in mind the advertised effectiveness of the box is within a 20' radius of the wire so if you generally fish farther back it might not be worth installing.

Thanks Dave , I figured that was the deal.

Hey SB , I will test and see what happeneds.

has there ever been any hard science to back up this ion theory. I went to a Mag ten with Positive Ion whatever and my catch rate is no different than all my years with manual units and no voodoo box. I have to wonder how much of this is pure Madison Ave

Cannons with positive ion control is set to make your downrigger neutral. Not attracting fish and not repelling them. Cannons with PIC and black boxes on other brands are set to control voltage to an output that excites a fish to strike. And yes, there has been science to back it up.

There are 2 issues at play, fixing a hot boat and trying to make fish strike.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

The purity of the water you are fishing will make a difference also. Salmon fishing in salt water is one thing, but there is not as much conductifity in fresh water. But if the fresh water lake you are fishing has a good amount of mineral content it would make a difference.

I had one 2 boats ago. It seemed to make a difference for me in lake trout fishing.
    I usually jig for kokes, I would start out by not having the box on, and not see many fish on the finder. Turning on and dialing in the box would bring fish to the area, but I was never able to make them start hitting like the lakers would

Quote Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
    I had one 2 boats ago. It seemed to make a difference for me in lake trout fishing.
    I usually jig for kokes, I would start out by not having the box on, and not see many fish on the finder. Turning on and dialing in the box would bring fish to the area, but I was never able to make them start hitting like the lakers would
    I've thought about lowering the downrigger and useing the black box to attract while stationary jigging but was allways afraid of having a fish get wrapped up around the cable... Did you ever have this issue?

No, on kokes, mainly because I gave up on it. On lakers, I'm dodging an anchor line as well, You learn to manage :)