Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humminbird 597 ci hd di Not working well, need your thoughts.

Thumbs down Humminbird 597 ci hd di Not working well, need your thoughts.

Ok so I bit the bullet and sprung for a new FF yesterday, removed my old unit and installed it last night and spent the day on the lake. Long story short it looses the depth reading about 50% of the time while trolling or even just drifting in the wind with nothing else powered up or running. I adjusted the angle every witch way, I adjusted the height up down and in between and the only improvement was that I got cooled off every time a wave came up on the platform as I was laying there messing with it. The claim is this thing can see a jig at 70 feet, that's a joke, half the time it cant find the largest thing under my boat.......the ground!

Spent the last hour reading about how they send you a new transducer and when that doesn't work (have yet to find a post that said it did) then they send you an update on a SD card. I read a couple of posts where that fixed the problem and a couple that it didn't work.

My question is do I mess with that and hopefully have a working unit in a month or two or just take it back to the store. The main reason I purchased it at a store (Dicks sporting goods) instead a cheaper online source is so that I could do that. I have known people that have similar problems and it is a constant battle.

To me if it doesn't work properly right out of the box, I don't want it, not for that kind of money!

What do you guys think?

I've had good luck with my Humminbird units and only one failure, a 597 SI...and that was after a couple of years of use.

Having said that, the fastest solution is to take it back to the store. What you're experiencing isn't normal, and at a guess, it could be the transducer or the unit itself or perhaps even just a faulty power connection. But why take the time to figure that out? Take it back; that's why you bought it where you did.

Had a similar problem with my Humminbird 325. Purchased online. It was still under warrantee. Sent it back to Humminbird at a cost of over $ 10 shipping.
    They shipped it back with a new transducer. Hooked it up today and it performed as it should.
    I am still a little skeptical. To many bells and whistles on these things today. This will be my last Humminbird!
    "There's no losing in fishing. You either catch or you learn."

Quote Originally Posted by rgarbar View Post
    Had a similar problem with my Humminbird 325. Purchased online. It was still under warrantee. Sent it back to Humminbird at a cost of over $ 10 shipping.
    They shipped it back with a new transducer. Hooked it up today and it performed as it should.
    I am still a little skeptical. To many bells and whistles on these things today. This will be my last Humminbird!
    I think Humminbird makes a good product, my point is this issue didn't develop after time, It was purchased Saturday afternoon installed Saturday evening (replaced a working Humminbird 575) and Never worked right for the 10hrs of use Sunday. Broken right out of the box at $650 I don't want to wait a month or two to use it. This is the 3rd one in this boat so its not an installation issue with wiring in the wrong place or transducer not mounted correctly or......well you get the idea. Most people have issues loosing bottom at high speed if the transducer is in an area with too much turbulence or it is not riding fully in the water. But I cant adjust that if I cant get it to read bottom when the boat is traveling .5-1.5 mph. and it is submerged 16" under the water.

I'd be driving to Dick's and either get another unit or a refund.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your 597ci HD DI unit. We will be happy to assist you with the problem you are having with your unit.

Where is the transducer mounted at on the boat? Is it on the transom of the boat or on the trolling motor?

Does the problem occur in both 2d and DI mode? Are you just not getting a bottom reading or is this depth only?

Thank you,

Deborah @ Humminbird

Quote Originally Posted by Mudinchev View Post
    Ok so I bit the bullet and sprung for a new FF yesterday, removed my old unit and installed it last night and spent the day on the lake. Long story short it looses the depth reading about 50% of the time while trolling or even just drifting in the wind with nothing else powered up or running. I adjusted the angle every witch way, I adjusted the height up down and in between and the only improvement was that I got cooled off every time a wave came up on the platform as I was laying there messing with it. The claim is this thing can see a jig at 70 feet, that's a joke, half the time it cant find the largest thing under my boat.......the ground!

Spent the last hour reading about how they send you a new transducer and when that doesn't work (have yet to find a post that said it did) then they send you an update on a SD card. I read a couple of posts where that fixed the problem and a couple that it didn't work.

My question is do I mess with that and hopefully have a working unit in a month or two or just take it back to the store. The main reason I purchased it at a store (Dicks sporting goods) instead a cheaper online source is so that I could do that. I have known people that have similar problems and it is a constant battle.

To me if it doesn't work properly right out of the box, I don't want it, not for that kind of money!

What do you guys think?

I had a bad transducer right out of the box, and my 858 was doing exactly what yours is doing. I replaced the ducer, sent from humminbird and it is working great. The only other issue i have had is it will cut out when i am around our local navy submarine testing grounds.

Good luck.

I have a Lowrance unit that I had to replace the xducer a couple of times. My current xducer is fine now but now I did an upgrade using the Airmar P66 with my unit. I do see the difference in the 2 different xducers. Once you have settled issues with your sonar unit, Airmar is another option to consider.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I would take it back and buy a Lowrance unit. I know they break also but it seems the Hummers have more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by HBirdDeborahCRC View Post
    I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your 597ci HD DI unit. We will be happy to assist you with the problem you are having with your unit.

Where is the transducer mounted at on the boat? Is it on the transom of the boat or on the trolling motor?

Does the problem occur in both 2d and DI mode? Are you just not getting a bottom reading or is this depth only?

Thank you,

Deborah @ Humminbird
    Now that's customer service I'm not used to. I just bought a HB 787C. I'm keeping your contact info Deb.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlaker View Post
    I would take it back and buy a Lowrance unit. I know they break also but it seems the Hummers have more problems.
    The last few years it seems as though there's been more and more reports of people's dissatisfaction with the Lowrance customer service. The fact that a Humminbird Rep just joined to be of assistance here has gotta tell you something...
    I've had the Humminbird 777c2 installed for 3 or 4 years now and have never had an issue. I think both companies make a good product but sometimes the service you get after purchasing is something to concider also.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 07-25-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Check to see that you have both the 83 and the 200 beams turned on. The wide beam works good at low speeds, but on plane ,my ducer is barely in the water so the narrow beam is the only thing that'll read. Works for me. Also I have had nothing but good experience with huminbird customer service.

Never mind, it's new- take it back.

Ok so 1 1/2 round trip to the store they were great, no questions asked exchange but I ended up with the floor model at a 10% discount because they were out. I dont usually go for floor model stuff but the managers reply..."If it doesn't work bring it back we will eventually get you one that does", even the sales clerk said, "Id do the same thing, its like buying a new car and the tranny goes out on the way home, I wouldn't want a "fixed" new one either".

So an hour to install and I turn it on in the drive way and start scrolling threw the screens and I notice my speed is jumping around from .5 to 6.3 mph my first thought was COOL I just discovered a way to travel that uses no power!! I will be rich beyond my wildest dreams. Then reality sunk in my house is not getting any farther away. Wow I cant believe in the 2 units I have seen all three of the complaints that I have read in the product reviews on multiple different sites. It doesn't seem to be a fair test as I am not on the water, but I am not sure what that has to do with GPS. My boat in my drive way is a stationary object on the planet. One half says I am moving at a certain speed and the other have says I am standing still, my actual location never changed.
    BTW the third complaint I read about was hair line cracks around the button holes, If you get the light just right you can see them, they are very small, most would never notice probably until the unit was in the sun heated and cooled a few times. The first unit had 3 cracks and this one has 1. Id be willing to live with those if the unit worked right.

Now the question, to I waste another afternoon and head to the lake and drop anchor some where in the middle and see if I still "speeding around". Or do I call up Dicks and have them get another one in.

Deborah

I appreciate your willingness to help and at this rate I may have to take you up on that, for now though I refuse have a unit that started out not working correctly that I have to "fix". Warranty in my mind is something that was working for a given period of time and then malfunctioned.

To answer your question as to where the transducer was mounted? The same place as 2 others that I have had on there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merwin 7-24.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	2913  

Wow, I feel your pain but that was uncalled for. By the way if your new car lost the tranny, a fixed one is exactly what you would get.

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    Wow, I feel your pain but that was uncalled for. By the way if your new car lost the tranny, a fixed one is exactly what you would get.
    ??? Im not sure I understand? What was uncalled for? I have thanked Debora for offering to be so helpful, I have commended Dicks Sporting goods for having excellent customer service. I am just one of the unfortunate ones that seems to be getting defective units. It will all get resolved soon. The comment about the car and the tranny was made by a Dicks employee last night as I was exchanging the unit.
    Last edited by Mudinchev; 07-26-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Not trying to get into anything, it just seemed that she took the time to join the site just to try and help you (but I could be wrong). The way you discribe how the transducer was mounted was a little snippy. But it could just as easily have been how I read it.

That's the problem with reading something instead of face to face misunderstandings are easy to come by. Sorry if I read it wrong.

I had a lowrance transducer stop giving me temp. readings and they replaced the transducer and I didn't even have to send the old one back so I now have two transducers only the temp. senser is out on one. that is great service to me but I've heard horror stories about both brands. That said Debora seems like a great rep. willing to troll forums and solve cust. service issues. Bob R

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    Not trying to get into anything, it just seemed that she took the time to join the site just to try and help you (but I could be wrong). The way you discribe how the transducer was mounted was a little snippy. But it could just as easily have been how I read it.

That's the problem with reading something instead of face to face misunderstandings are easy to come by. Sorry if I read it wrong.
    I can see how it could have been taken that way, it wasn't meant that way though. It was late and I didn't take the time to write it out more like I meant it. It simply meant that I have had 2 others mounted to the boat in the same place and never had any issues. Most times the old saying a picture is worth a thousand words seemed like the better way to go.

So far what I have gotten out of her was that .2 to .7mph is normal to see at times when you are not moving (not saying I like it but if that is normal then that is normal) I am still waiting to hear if the fluctuations up to 6.5mph means there is an issue, I cant see how it could be any where near accurate like that. If I can swing it tonight, I will head to the lake and see how well it does keeping a depth reading. The question was also asked if the problem happened in 2d and DI mode, the answer is yes, when it lost it it lost everything it showed 3 feet deep and a screen full of clutter. But that unit is headed back to Humminbird via Dicks.

Just a thought...have you played with the sensitivity at all? I know on my 777c2 I had to adjust it a couple times. I'd be out in 200' of water and every so often it showed a depth reading of something like 17' and the screen would be full of clutter. It seemed to happen mostly during turn-over... the unit was picking up alot of debris and haveing a hard time reaching through it. I sent the ducer back thinking it was the problem but the new one did the same thing...only to find out it was just the sensitivity setting that needed some tweeking.

I tried adjusting the sensitivity it didn't seem to make any difference, I was headed to the lake tonight to try out the latest unit and ended up breaking an axle on the trailer so I spent the evening finding the right size rock to wedge the front spring and ratchet strapping the rear axle to limp home and lick my wounds.....man when it rains it pours.

Ok spent the week last week on the water with unit # 2 It worked better...sort of. It seemed to track bottom better, but not good enough, I could not run a depth alarm because it would loose bottom for short periods and set off the alarm. Now as well with this unit shallow water, (10ft or less) it looses bottom. I was anchored in 3-4 feet of water, the only thing powered up was the FF no motors running etc. It would jump around from 1ft to 18 feet and never find the bottom. Although I love the clarity of DI and its other features, this is a river boat as well as a lake boat. I need to know if I am running in 1-2 feet of water or 10 feet, I cant drop off of plane in 2 feet of water. I have read threw all of the pertinent information in the manual. I have tried every combination and sensitivity level adjustment that I can. I guess I will go for a 3rd unit, I really want one of these to work, compared side by side HB looked like it had better screen clarity than Lowrance and all my mounts are already there for this unit.

Why not consider an aftermarket transducer like an Airmar? 50 X more sensitive than any off the shelf transducer. You will track bottom at planing speed.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

WOW Don't envy your situation if it don't work replace it. I've personally like most of us work hard for are money we want to spend it wisely. I have not heard VERY good things said about HD units to sensitive. I had a $1500.00 unit Lowrance that got salt water in the chip compartment, tried to send it off for repair was told the units to old (just over 5 yrs)we/they wouldn't even repair it sorry. I advised I spent a lot of money they just said sorry. I've purchased a Garmin the new 740S ALSO HAD SOME PROBLEM, but the shop that installed the unit had to reboot and up grad the chip everything is just fine. The things that are happening should not be. get another unit and brand. I've had brand new cell phone that didn't work I returned to the store and they had to up grade the soft ware the day after i purchased it. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Why not consider an aftermarket transducer like an Airmar? 50 X more sensitive than any off the shelf transducer. You will track bottom at planing speed.
    I might consider that in the future but not on a brand new dysfunctional $650 unit.

For those that care to see what I am talking about, I wont post a link to it but you can go to Youtube and search Mudinchev79, there are 2 short videos there showing the issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast