Thread: a quick ?

Default a quick ?

this time of the year how far back do you run your squid or spinner from your dodger? I know late last season we were running them fairly close together i was wondering if its the same this time of year. we are headed to the gorge this weekend for a few days. thanks in advance for any help.

Last weekend I was at about 12" - 14". Didn't do real well; mostly dinks from the pipe up to the end of the east cliffs. Should have gone further North right off the bat. A few other times this Spring I've been about the same distance back. Haven't used much other than squid (white w/ red beads, green w/ red beads and pink w/ red beads) w/ a small hot orange colorado blade or small hammered nickel blade. Have done OK but nothing fantastic. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by shears View Post
    this time of the year how far back do you run your squid or spinner from your dodger? I know late last season we were running them fairly close together i was wondering if its the same this time of year. we are headed to the gorge this weekend for a few days. thanks in advance for any help.

I've been running my squids about 9-10 inches behind the dodger and they are by far outperforming the spinners and spoons for me. Best color has been RMT double-glow pink. Good luck, Ryno

Ryno, Have you catching Kokes in the south end of the lake? Also ,how has the bass fishing been? I'm heading down this weekend and my wife likes that end of the lake !

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlaker View Post
    Ryno, Have you catching Kokes in the south end of the lake? Also ,how has the bass fishing been? I'm heading down this weekend and my wife likes that end of the lake !

I have. Koke fishing has been pretty good so far, although I'm catching a lot of 2-year olds (10-14-inches). I hate releasing kokes, but with the water so cool, I haven't had much of a problem yet. Been doing best in Jarvies Bay, but have also caught some up around Skull and Gooseneck. Best rig has been the Fusion dodger chased by a double glow pink squid. Water temp is about 62F.

Smallmouth bass have been good in the lower lake and I suspect some are on beds but I haven't seen them. I've been doing well casting Xraps (rainbow) and also caught some on Hula grubs (earth tones).

It's pretty overcast and drizzly here today, so I'm thinking about turning this computer off and seeing if the kokes are on. I'll let ya know if I find success! Ryno

I had good success the one trip I made to the Gorge which was last Saturday. Set back of the squid was between 8-10". The fusion dodger was my go to in 4.5" & 5.5". I launched at Lucerne and fished north of the pipe at Wildhorse and the ranch.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I agree with Both Bduck and Ryno on the set backs. We trolled at 1.6 to 1.8 was our best speeds. Fishing up North was very productive also with a double glow Orange RMT squid. Orange has been a great color for me all spring and summer. Our MOJO Melon has been pretty productive also.

Another combo set up that has been producing well has been the Radical Glow RGT spinner in the Sand color. this set upglows like you can t believe. I have ran this behind a RMT crushed glow nickel 5.5 for the first few hours in the morning and cant keep them off. with the spinner on this rig, I have been running it back around 18 to 22 inches. Im not sure how available they are at the retail level, however Blake has them available onhis web site at radical glow.

The fusion dodger has done well this year all along the lake. Depths in the Am our 15 to 25 and later in the afternoon down to 40 and 50 foot depths. We were running set backs at 25 to 40 feet and catching fish

Good luck to you on your upcoming trip.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlaker View Post
    Jacksonlaker, we got off the water 1PM. We made a troll up near Skull Creek and several trolls around Jarvies Bay. When we started it was calm with rain and we quickly boated 2 nice bows and a koke. The sun came-out and the bite for both species shut down. We waited for the next approaching front and it was game-on again. With the wind chop the fish seemed to turn back on and we finished our limits. Most of our fish came under planer board, with snap weights, putting the lure at about 15 ft. We caught fish on a Fusion dodger with a watermelon or radical red RGT and hyperplaid dodger with a pink or orange cotton candy squid. Boat speed was about 2.1 mph, but we also had hits on the outsides boards. Water temp was 63F.

I also got some good intel of kokes being caught in Hideout and Horseshoe using similar tactics, if you're planning to fish the upper Canyon.

Hope it helps, Ryno

thanks to all for the information. we will try to put it to use. heading there sun and stayin a few days. again thanks for all the help. We do appreciate it.

Thanks for the report and info Ryan. I thought I was the only one that used planer boards and snap weights !! We are going to go south on Sat., north on Sunday. I will post results.