Thread: Lake Roosevelt?

Default Lake Roosevelt?

I have a Vaction in a few weeks and was thinking of fishing lake Roosevelt. Ive never fished it before and was looking for and info for a general area to start for Kokanee. Thanks

I am very interested in the same info, never fished there and really want to, that's where the state record is from right? Hopefully someone has some great info.

Hey Chrome and Guru...in the interest of time and in order for us to help you more effectively, it would be nice to know your experience level with Koke fishing (or fishing in general for that matter).

I guess I am pretty experienced, just never been there myself, I would say that if someone showed me a map of the lake with good spots to fish and maybe the best launch to use, I am sure I could do the rest and put some fish in the boat...

Most places are good, but Springcanyon might be the best with the water level how its been. Apex works good, using leaded line. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GURU View Post
    I guess I am pretty experienced, just never been there myself, I would say that if someone showed me a map of the lake with good spots to fish and maybe the best launch to use, I am sure I could do the rest and put some fish in the boat...
    Alright, that makes it much easier. If I only had a couple of days, I would concentrate on the Spring Canyon to Swawilla basin areas. If I had more time I may explore a little towards the SanPoil mouth as well. Because of the recent extreme draw down, my guess is that the food has been drawn down lower towards the dam....and what's our #1 rule...find the food, find the fish! Using anything you see or hear about on this forum will work once you find the fish. Apex, K-Flys, Hootchies, BugEye Lures all behind a dodger (no, not all at once! haha) will do the trick. You may have to do some scouting as they may be close to shore...or out in the middle over 300' of water. A great source is Big Wallys (509) 632-5504 in Coulee City or Coulee Playland (509) 633-2671 in Electric City they will have the latest information. You may also want to get a good map of Roosevelt too! Hope this helps a little...Have Fun!!

Thank you very much

Thanks for all the info!

You guys are more than welcome...go out, explore, watch where other boats are going, have fun and report back!! Remember...this year nothing has been 'normal' or 'typical'.

Hey Go4Chrome, looks like you have been getting a lot of good information.

Fishing Lake Roosevelt can be a real eye opener if you have never fished it, a large body of water, with about 20 percent or less being productive.

I have not fished Roosevelt this year, but have done so many times in the past, and will share with you what I have done in the past.

Spring Canyon Campground is very nice with many good camping sites. When you launch, park your rig with trailer in the parking area near the launch, you will need to pull your boat out at night due to the chance of heavy winds. Just mark your campsite with a chair or something.

From the boat launch head upriver about four miles to Swawilla Basin, this is where the river makes a 90 degree turn. In the inside turn is a area called Plum Point, I have found this to be excellent for Kokanee, sometime you can see them active on the surface. When I see this I put out a lot of line and fish near the surface, otherwise the downriggers get used. The lure that has been the most productive has been the old fashioned Wedding Ring, combined with a 4" dodger, or a string of spinners. Tip the hooks with Green Giant White Shoepeg Corn, and a maggot, and maybe try a single red salmon egg, even a combination of the three.

On the outside of the turn is Swawilla Basin, and it is loaded with fish, the water is very low now, you will see a lot of sandbar. From the shoreline stay in about 10' of water, use a K7 Flatfish in rainbow color, or something like that. You will catch nice Rainbows on the sandy bottom, when it goes to rock and gravel the Smallmouth will hit, and when you go over a trench, there is a good chance a Walleye will take the Flatfish. You may not want to fish for these, but at least you will have the option.

Hope this will be helpful, at least it will be a starting point.

Ken