Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loon Lake

Default Loon Lake

Went out on Monday 5/16 and my wife and I caught 7 fish ranging from 10 to 14 inches. Then went again yesterday by myself and caught 3, all 13 to 14 inches. Don't have any pics as I didn't have the camera with me, but they are nice sized for this early in the season.

Those are great size for this time of year.

Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

Default Loon

Hey sounds like you are having much better luck than I. The kid and I spent all day yesterday trolling Loon and only landed 1 and lost 1. Any tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

James

We went out today with family, four in the boat and we caught 36 fish. About half were in the 12 to 14 range and the rest were smaller in size. Great day, overcast but the wind never really came up and the bite was very consistant. we were using luhr Jensen spinner rigs with with red and green wedding rings and maggots. At least that's what seem to be working today.

That sounds like what I was running except I was using corn instead of maggots. I was using downriggers at about 20'. Mostly near Granite Point. I'm going out this weekend so I will give the maggots a try. Thanks for the help.

We were running three downriggers, one at 20, 2 at 30, then one using weight out the back. The long line out the back got the most hits, but also had the most losses and when caught were mostly the smaller fish. Most of the bigger fish were on the 30' lines and the 20' line was a mixed bag. I'm going to be out there on Monday with my father on our annual fishing trip, so maybe we will cross lines...

Hi My name is Ron I have a place on Loon Lake and I love to fish for Kokanee . I have a boat and need someone to fish with, I am retired and can go most anytime. Give me a hollar.

Welcome Ron!

-Mack

Ron,
    I would like to meet up with you sometime to go fishing together. I usually have monday's off so that is the day I typically go out there when I'm by my self. Although because this weekend is a holiday, I will be off on Tuesday instead. And welcome to Kokanee Forum...

Default Let's go fishing....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Krels View Post
    Hi My name is Ron I have a place on Loon Lake and I love to fish for Kokanee . I have a boat and need someone to fish with, I am retired and can go most anytime. Give me a hollar.
    Ron, I left you a PM, I have tomorrow off and want to go fishing. Are you around? Give me a Call.

We can use your boat or mine, I have a 20 foot Bayliner Trophy...

Steve

Went night fishing sat. 7/3/2011 Limited using maggots

Nice... short report Ron. For those who aren't familiar with Loon the limit is 10, and fishing at night is in a word "awesome". There is nothing like the subtle tap of a hit, and fish flying at the boat in the dark as they rush for the surface,.

-Mack

Thumbs up Counting down the days till our Loon trip on 7/30/11.

My first Wife and I will be heading for Loon from Seattle next weekend, to spend two weeks at Granite Point.
    Give a wave if you see me in the folding "Portabote".
    But, I'll only be fishing during the morning..........afternoon..........and night.

Dave

Hey Dave,
    Make sure you give a catch report after the weekend trip. I fish Loon lake all the time as I live 20 min south of there. We often get a fair amount of kokes out of there. Good luck

Thumbs up Our 2 weeks of Kokanee Heaven @ Loon

Hey everybody,
    Going great here at Loon Lake, Granite Point Park!
    The folks here at GPP are wonderful.

Mostly fishing right out front of Granite Point, in 33' of water. Fish are sneakily biting right near the bottom.
    Joe Haley, rest his soul, taught me how to get the feel for the fish many years ago.
    The other night I got my 10 fish limit in 27 minutes.
    But it took 2 1/2 hrs on a different night.

Sizes are 13-15", with occassional 11"ers.
    Hooked an 18''+ Koke, of which I hear there are a few, but didn't have the net ready. By By fish.
    The smoker's keeping busy at cabin #1 :-)
    Daytime trolling for kokes is slow because I never get out early enough, usually after 9:00 am.
    Have also caught a couple beautiful 18" Tiger-trout. They fight really well.
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loon koke limit night fishing 8 3 11.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	2987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loon 18 inch tiger trout 8 3 11.jpg 
Views:	976 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	2988  

Default first time

Fished for kokanee for the first time at night last night at Loon. I had a idea about what to expect but still it took me and my buddy quite a few hours to get the feel for hooking them. In the end I caught 9 and my buddy caught 3, but it tooks us from 8pm to 3am to do that much and caught nothing till about 12:30am. I had my best luck fishing about 2 reels off the bottom and using a slight jig action in about 33 feet of water. Even though it was a long night it was still a fun and will be doing it again before the season ends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loon.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	2990  
    Last edited by JJW; 08-09-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add picture

Wife and I went out Saturday night, fished until around 1:30 am and headed in with 3 in the box. Caught just 2 Kokes and one tiger. Also caught lots of blue gill.... Still taking some time getting the hang of this night fishing thing, the trip back to the boat launch made the wife nervous, so I don't know that she will want to do that again.

Hi all Well I havent been able to get out for a while. Hope you have left some fish for me. Say how deep are the fish> See you on the lake

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Krels View Post
    Hi all Well I havent been able to get out for a while. Hope you have left some fish for me. Say how deep are the fish> See you on the lake
    Ron,

We were fishing in water between 30 and 35 feet deep. The ones we did pick up were just off the bottom.

Thank you. I am going out tomorrow nite. I will se what happens

Ron,
    I just moved out near the lake let me know if your still looking to do some fishing. I have been trolling during the day and have been doing very well but I dont have the night fishing down I would like to learn how its done.

Dave

Dave,

Welcome to Kokanee forums and welcome to Loon lake. It's a great lake and we really enjoy fishing there. The night fishing took me a few times before I got the hang of it, but once I did it was a lot of fun. I haven't been able to do any night fishing yet this year because of my job situation, but hopefully I'll be able to get out soon. I've only been able to get out to Loon about 3 times so far this year.

Steve

Hi Dave and welcome. Attachment 6507 Loon is a great lake. We really enjoy night fishing out there. The last time we went was the night of the 22nd of June. Stayed past midnight and got the two day possession limit for the three of us. I replied to Brisco in an earlier post and outlined the method for night fishing Loon.

Tight Lines Alan

downriggeral:

Hi from from a fellow kokanee fisherman. I was wondering where Loon Lake is. I used to fish one up in BC, but I'm unfamiliar with any in Washington. Thanks. Oh, for some reason my computer says your attachment 6507 is invalid. Can't open it up. Not sure what's going on with that.
    Strike Zone

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	639 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	6508

Hi Strike Zone, We'll try the photo again. Loon Lake is about 35 miles north of Spokane on highway 395 in Eastern Washington. Hope that helps - Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast