Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you tie those goldurned tandem hook knots?

Question How do you tie those goldurned tandem hook knots?

After spending another $70 on lures at the fishing store yesterday, I sat down on the couch and watched football on TV while going through the tackle box and "setting up" my gear for next season. I tried tying those tandem hook rigs about 30 times and ended up with only two sets that "might" work. It was very frustrating. If any of you guys have any hints on how to do this, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Goggle snell knots. I have found that not only wearing glasses, but the purchase of a magnifying lamp helped out alot! The snell knot is not bad once you get the hang of it. When I first started trying to tie my own rigs I got very frustrated also until I got the lamp and was actually able to see what I was doing.

Silver Bullets...

Thanks for the tip. I've been tying knots for 48 years and know a few different ones. I also learned how to tie all kinds of knots while in the Navy, but this one had me baffled. I'll try again tonite.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

One more thingto add to all of teh other tools that everyone has mentioned which all make it easier is a fly tying vise. I use my vise and it speeds things up dramatically. I would just find a cheap one some where that somebody might want to get rid of and use it. Sure helps me. What helps me the most is the magnifying glasses.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaholic View Post
    One more thingto add to all of teh other tools that everyone has mentioned which all make it easier is a fly tying vise. I use my vise and it speeds things up dramatically. I would just find a cheap one some where that somebody might want to get rid of and use it. Sure helps me. What helps me the most is the magnifying glasses.
    Good idea! It happens, my Dad tied flies for many years and I'm sure there are a couple of those fly-tying vises in his fishing stuff.

I spent all evening doing kokanee rigs. Finally managed to get the knots to behave themselves. Next I need those magnifying glasses.
    Age 65.

I have attached a very crude drawing or how I like to snell after trying several different variations. Easy to place hooks exactly, it is secure to loosening, and there is no exposed wrap of line over the snell to wear.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by smokepoles; 10-06-2008 at 11:14 AM.

That image is a great resource Smoke. Monte, keep on trying you'll get the hang of it. The trickiest part is learning the gap when tying tandem rigs so when you pull the knot tight the gap is consistent.

Mack,

There is no guessing with placement with the method I shared. Where you place it relative relative to the 'tail end' is where it ends up.

It is basically the same as the second site Petty shares, but I find it is easier for tying kokanee rigs because of the short front tag end. Petty's variation is the way to do it if snelling a single hook to end of long line directly from reel.

For mine, I hold hook and loops in place with left hand (right handed) and use right hand to turn the snelling wraps eye to bend. Hold wraps in place with left hand, then pull front tag end with right hand. Slide on second hook and repeat.

Easier done than said, but I hope you get the idea.
    Last edited by smokepoles; 10-06-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    I have attached a very crude drawing or how I like to snell after trying several different variations. Easy to place hooks exactly, it is secure to loosening, and there is no exposed wrap of line over the snell to wear.
    Hello Smokepoles...thanks for that! I'm wondering...do you put the end of the tag through the loop end before pulling on the main line? Seems like it needs to lock.
    Age 65.

Hi Petty,

That's really cool! Thanks for the link! These should be on the site link page.
    It looks better than the snell knot I've been tying for a day and a half.
    Age 65.

Practice, practice, practice! It took me awhile to learn this knot too, but now I'm pretty good at it. My brother can tie circles around me, but I like to believe that mine are of better quality! Haha. Anways, keep at it because tying the double snelled hook is a great skill to have for kokes!

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Monte View Post
    Hello Smokepoles...thanks for that! I'm wondering...do you put the end of the tag through the loop end before pulling on the main line? Seems like it needs to lock.
    You're welcome........don't worry or do anything with the tag end; it'll end up securely locked.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
    Goggle snell knots. I have found that not only wearing glasses, but the purchase of a magnifying lamp helped out alot! The snell knot is not bad once you get the hang of it. When I first started trying to tie my own rigs I got very frustrated also until I got the lamp and was actually able to see what I was doing.
    I am interested in getting a magnification aid of some kind. Was thinking of a magnifying lamp, but then a friend recommended an Optivisor headband (totally handsfree).
    I had read various magnifying lamp reviews here was set on the LED type, but now the Optivisor is on the radar.
    What are your thoughts on these two types of magnifier?
    Thanks
    Tony

I think the visor presents some focus point issues as all our visions aren't the same. I think something mounted above your vise or work area would allow one to move head or hands the proper distance to get best clarity. However, my reading glasses and my halogen desk light is all I need to tie my leaders.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I've got a desk mounted swing arm with a flouresent tube... works great. I've had to replace the tube bulb once in 10 years of useage. As far as the head lamp magnifier light goes i would think unless it has a flip up lens you'd be constantly having to remove it when your reaching for something across your work table.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 12-10-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Youtube how to tie an egg loop.
    Disappoint the Government; be responsible, self-reliant, and kind.

I'm a uni-knot(duncan loop/egg loop) guy.It works in many applications and is great for snelling hooks ,but can get frustrating. In "Kokanee Obsession" Kent Cannon had a nice demo on tying the two hook rig using a different knot,I think Kokaneekid has a video on tying the same knot.

Slow at work? I'm getting caught up on my leader supply!

Yeah, next trip to Fisherman's wharehouse to buy fishing line and we'll start tying our tandems for our upcoming summer trip to the Gorge. We wrap about 12 of them around a cut up noodle and bring them with us. Last year we had at least 4 full ones ready to go! We use the egg loop knot also.
    Froggie

here's the quick and easy way I use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QU0eExNRL4 also Art at kokanee creek tackle has these pre tied with a soft glow bead that I am using now that worked very well last year, and I am switching over to plus these are very reasonably priced http://www.shop.kokaneecreektackleco...Bead-L-102.htm .dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

For what it is worth, this is the way I have started tying my hooks. I like the way that the wraps stay on and have no chance on unwrapping. Check it out if you would like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIK_XBRslrk
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

I've always done it the way Dragonfly shows. Very easy and quick. Especially when tying fifty or so in a night.

With larger fish I'll just add two half hitches at the end of the knot process

Quote Originally Posted by rainORsnow1 View Post
    I've always done it the way Dragonfly shows. Very easy and quick. Especially when tying fifty or so in a night.

With larger fish I'll just add two half hitches at the end of the knot process
    Unless I'm just tying them wrong, that method seems to produce a loose knot.

eenokok , I like and use that method with bigger hooks and for bigger fish but when you are boating 50 kokanee and changing out hooks and leaders when they start to get questionable this is a quick and easy if you don't have a bunch tied. plus I don't need my glasses to tie them. we have unintentionally caught large trout, macks and Chinook and never had any come undone so that has never been a worry. just another way to do it.dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast