Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you tie those goldurned tandem hook knots?

Believe it or not it sinches to the eye just fine, and even when I'm using 15lb with number 4 gamis. Never had any loosen or move for that matter.

I must be tying it wrong then. When I tie it as shown and push back on the leader, the coils loosen. I use eenakok's method with a little modification and have rock tight knots so I guess that's why there are so many ways to tie this knot.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I varied it a little this last time. I have been using those Drop Shot/ Split shot hooks and I didn't like the way they came out when going back through the eye. This time around, I didn't put the line back through the eye and tested to see if it would be OK. I put the hook around a pole and pulled as hard as I could. The hook straightened out before the knot moved. I was satisfied with that. By doing this, I was able to get the hooks to go straight up and down. It makes it entertaining to see all the different ways to tie hooks. Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas..
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Unless I'm just tying them wrong, that method seems to produce a loose knot.
    I have been using the "wire snell" (that is what I understand the knot is historically called) for 30+ years. Like the name says, it was originally used for attaching hooks to wire leader for toothy fish. I started using the knot for sails and the like in Baja and then on stripers in the delta. I have boated 30#+ fish with this knot using mono without any issues.

In fact I boated 4 Kok's over the weekend using 1 lure with hooks tied this way without loosing one. I use 12# fluorocarbon and must wet the line before cinching it down.

After watching, I didn't see how the version dragonfly posted would hold together, but I tried a couple and it seems to work just fine. I still prefer the kokanee kid version but ity's probably more a matter of what I know and have confidence in versus one being better than the other. I'd like to see a "knot wars" demo and see if one has a higher breaking strength than the other.

I use egg loops when doing two hooks works really well for me and easy to do.I don't actually use the loops for any purpose but it actually keeps my hooks the way I want them to lay opposite each other or the same direction.

I'm with Lund Troller, I tie hundreds of egg loop leaders for trolling during salmon fishing. Instead of 20# BBG I use 12# Maxima UG and size 2 & 4 Red Gamie octopus hooks and only wrap 4 times instead of 6. The Koke rigs are definitely harder to tie for me anymore with arthritis and yes I had to go from 150 up to 175 reading glasses but for Christmas I'm hoping that Santa will get me a Deluxe lighted magnifying setup for my bench!!!!

I have always used the method enakoK showed. Works great and none have ever come loose. Use the same method for salmon tackle too. I have also gone to bigger hooks with great success when trolling.

It's that time of year again.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Default Knote

I just googled your knot came right up. I was always told a pictures worth a hundred words. I sure this might help.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTackle View Post
    I am interested in getting a magnification aid of some kind. Was thinking of a magnifying lamp, but then a friend recommended an Optivisor headband (totally handsfree).
    I had read various magnifying lamp reviews here was set on the LED type, but now the Optivisor is on the radar.
    What are your thoughts on these two types of magnifier?
    Thanks
    Tony
    Be carful about focal length (eye to object)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12