Thread: Mav's New 2011 Kokanee Lures

Default Mav's New 2011 Kokanee Lures

Here are a few rigs I created recently. I'm going to test a couple of them in Lk. Washington this weekend, then the real test will be Lk. Roosevelt in April and May! I also re-tied all of my Apex's with the sickle hooks, Glo-beads and trailers. I used a variety of different bead combinations and even used the glow tubing as a spacer in a couple of Hootchies. I was very surprised to see just how bright the tubing was with the lights turned off in the shop! Please feel free to offer up any feedback or ideas you may have!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kokanee Lures 2011 010.jpg 
Views:	2851 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	2311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kokanee Lures 2011 012.jpg 
Views:	1323 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	2312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kokanee Lures 2011 013.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	2313  

Looks good. Maybe the only thing that I would do a little differently is to shorten your trailer hook distance...make a little closer to top hook. But hey, what do I know..lol. If it seems to work for you, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    Looks good. Maybe the only thing that I would do a little differently is to shorten your trailer hook distance...make a little closer to top hook. But hey, what do I know..lol. If it seems to work for you, go for it!
    Great tip SS...I thought the same thing, so after the pics...I did shorten them up to a couple inches. Thanks for your feedback.

nice, i have made those hoochies just like that first pink one and added a worm to it like a crawler harness and caught some walleye and catfish on it bottom bouncing. also hooked into a few steelhead bottom bouncing it like that as well on the salmon river last spring.
    Mack's Pro Staff

Those are going to whack some fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mav186 View Post
    Here are a few rigs I created recently. I'm going to test a couple of them in Lk. Washington this weekend, then the real test will be Lk. Roosevelt in April and May! I also re-tied all of my Apex's with the sickle hooks, Glo-beads and trailers. I used a variety of different bead combinations and even used the glow tubing as a spacer in a couple of Hootchies. I was very surprised to see just how bright the tubing was with the lights turned off in the shop! Please feel free to offer up any feedback or ideas you may have!
    Steve, The hot pink and the pearlscent squids are one of my favorites at the gorge. They would do really good up there. I'm already planning a one day slammer in early April at the Gorge.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

TB: Thanks, its always interesting to me how many different species of fish just one lure can produce!
    MM: I hope so! Just got back from a trial this weekend on Lk Washington...had one hit on the pink. However, my partner and I had no luck using our ol' reliable rigs either! (Apexes, worm harness, wedding rings etc)
    BDuck: I had to scrub this weekends planned trip to E. washington for a Family issue, so hopefully I will have 2 trips now in April!!
    Shortening up those trailing hooks was critical, however resulted in MANY more micro holes in the ends of my fingers!! lol

Shortening up those trailing hooks was critical, however resulted in MANY more micro holes in the ends of my fingers!! lol
    I've been contemplating trying a fly vise or a pair a forceps with the tips dipped in tool dip to make them soft. I don't get poked as much as my finger tips get raw from squeezing the hooks so tight.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Wow those look cool mav! any luck with them? what size hook on those bad boys/girls? kinda look big , I like a double hook set up with size #2 seem to hook them real good . by the way im snake7676 from wa.lake.... : ) good to see you on here bud!

Quote Originally Posted by KOK head View Post
    Wow those look cool mav! any luck with them? what size hook on those bad boys/girls? kinda look big , I like a double hook set up with size #2 seem to hook them real good . by the way im snake7676 from wa.lake.... : ) good to see you on here bud!
    Hey Snake!
    Nice to see you here too. I used #2's on these rigs. I pushed the Hootchies up a bit for the pics, but when they are pulled down, the hooks nest just inside of the skirts pretty well. I only tried one of the Hootchies out at Lk. Wa a couple of weeks ago and only had one hit on it. I'm thinking the green worm harness may work well for cuttys in Lk Wa though. What do you think? I haven't been able to make it to Roosevelt yet, but have a trip planned in a couple of weeks to see how they work over there.