Thread: Changing oil in an inboard motor.

Default Changing oil in an inboard motor.

Ok, I know there are a lot of pumps and ways to drain the engine oil out of an inboard motor. So for those of you that have an inboard motor , how do you change yours and what pumps do you use if any?

Default changing oil

Quote Originally Posted by AFDan52 View Post
    Ok, I know there are a lot of pumps and ways to drain the engine oil out of an inboard motor. So for those of you that have an inboard motor , how do you change yours and what pumps do you use if any?
    The method I use is a vacum pump thru the dip stick tube. No motor just a suction pump. Ours has an attatched can that holds 5 quarts.

I had the drain plug removed off of the oil pan, installed a valve and barbed end, hooked up a hose to it that runs to the back of the boat with a screw-in plug to close it off, it is next to the boat plug. I warm up the motor, and then the oil is loose and I unscrew the plug and drain the oil, after i shut the motor off of course. No mess, no problems and is very easy and fast.

My buddy drains it into the bottom of the boat and lets it drain out the back, then he spends the next hour cleaning the bottom up. I like my way better.

Autorick, I have thought about doing that and it is high on my list. Thanks for your input.

Hey Dan, I also have the type that works off of suction that goes down thru the dipstick. Its a pump attachment that hooks up to the a drill motor. Its ok but doesn't get all oil out. I still have to pull the drain plug to get any remaining oil out and still end up with a mess in the bottom of engine compartment. There is a kit that you can add or modify at your oil drain plug as autorick suggested. This is a very good way to go. Good luck with your choice. See ya on the water.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Rodger, hoping to see you on the water. If all goes well this weekend I should have the boat just about ready to take to Willard for the test run.

A friend of mine uses a Super Sucker which goes through the dipstick. It looks like a garden bug sprayer. You pump up a bit of vacuum by hand pump and suck out the oil. Works fine.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

i changed the oil in my inboard today (volvo penta) i looked at it a while cause i only have 4in of clearance under the oil pan to the boat, took a antifreeze jug and cut a 4in hole in the side made sure the lid was on tight and slid it under there and pulled the plug. worked slicker then snot
    I just know stuff...

I have a hose that goes out the drain plug hole with a plug in it, push the hose out the hole and pull the pipe plug works a lot better when warm, at work I use a Harbor Freight compressed air pump works great and holds gallons but cant get it all, its close enough if its not mine

I would much rather use it then clean the bilge for sure..........TL

Default Oil Change on inboard today

Quote Originally Posted by Petty4life View Post
    i changed the oil in my inboard today (volvo penta) i looked at it a while cause i only have 4in of clearance under the oil pan to the boat, took a antifreeze jug and cut a 4in hole in the side made sure the lid was on tight and slid it under there and pulled the plug. worked slicker then snot

Ok, I went through this process today, and have found the solution. Use a thin, flexible baking pan to catch the oil, and connect drip irrigation tubing to the pan, and run it through the transom. Just a couple of bucks, and re-usable!