Thread: Sending unit

Default Sending unit

Well it is time for me to get some maintenance done on my boat. I have to replace the sending unit in my fuel tank. I went down to the shop and they tried to sell me a cheesy one size fits all. Has anyone ever used one? If so are they worth having?

if it was me , I'd get the one that is supposed to be in there. if it costs a little more it's worth the cost. Don't take chances when it comes to your fuel system. Just my 2 cents.

I've used the universal a couple of times. It just means the wire leg is long and you cut to the depth of your tank.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by AFDan52 View Post
    if it was me , I'd get the one that is supposed to be in there. if it costs a little more it's worth the cost. Don't take chances when it comes to your fuel system. Just my 2 cents.
    I can not find a OEM unit or I would have one, I refuse to skimp on
    replacement parts.

Did the universal unit work right or was it junk?

Default Sending units

I have put in 100 or so (who counts?) They work. If you have a nema sender, try to stay with that kind. other wise the universal is ok.
    Nema senders are a donut shaped float on a rod. they work on a magnet in the donut and a sensor in the rod.They cost more but can not corrode.
    New sender must be to exact length for accuracy.

Thank you all for your input. I guess I'll try to find the closest one to match or get a universal. Next job is to re-seal the minnkota. Gotta love boat maintenance. Thanks again!