Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who uses braid?

I use Tufline XD Indicator line in the 30# for my Kokanee fishing. The 30# diameter is about 12# size so it is easier to handle and tie knots with. Why do I choose this line; it is the only marked line I could find and since I was tired of counting pulls, this solved the problem. My rod is a Kokanee model so it takes the need of stretch in a line out of the equation. The colors did fade after a long Summers use, so I just reversed the line on my reel to refresh the colors.

I use the Tufline XP Indicator color metered braid for jigging (easy to detect bites, allows for solid hook ups, and it's great for getting back down to a precise depth.) For trolling I use Maxima Utragreen mono on a line counter reel.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 05-29-2011 at 01:47 PM.

I use braid all the time. Just not Kokanees. I use braid for sturgeon, Stripers, shark, ..... the list goes on. But I never use it on any ultra light poles and that is what my brother-in-law has for the kokes.

This slide diver, how does it work??? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    I loaded my experimental reel set up with 30 lbs braid over a 15 lbs mono backing. I tied a nice double uni knot splice. The rod I'm going to use is a little stiffer than my traditional ultra light koke rods so I'll probably pick up a small snubber to run behind the diver and before the dodger.
    Okay SuperD and others...what's the deal with mono backing? So right now I have an Abu Garcia 5500c3 on a 7' medium action rod and this Diawa: http://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-Advantag.../dp/B000VK80L0 on a 6.5' medium action rod...they have braid on them now (these are second hand rigs) with the Abu having 30lb braid and the Diawa having 25lb braid.

No problem putting new braid, so what would you use (braid make model and mono backing make/model) how much of each on each reel?

Thanks,
    Roy

Roy,
    The reason for the mono backing is that if you don't put a few wraps of monofiliment on your reel as an anchor for your super braids, you'll find that sooner or later you'll probably have an issue with the line spinning freely on the arbor of your reel. This is not true if you have a reel with an arbor that has a hole in it so you can tie the line solid, but most reels don't have this and so you must rely on an arbor knot. And with the slipperiness of the super braids it doesn't take much for this knot to slip. You don't need a lot of mono for an anchor but I usually put about 10' or so just so I know that it's got a good bite.

I think the choice of what braid to use depends on you. There are many brands and I think they all have their own qualities. Not all brands offer their line in marked increments and so if you want a line that will tell you what length of line you have out then you'll need to look at the ones that do. I prefer to use a line counter reel for this purpose and so I choose to use one that is bright in color the full length so it is easier for me to see it when I'm fishing. I think last time I bought this I purchased some PowerPro but before that I used TuffLine and no problems with either one. When I'm using jigs for kokanee, I prefer the super lines over the true braids because they really do help make a longer cast easier. My favorites in these are either FireLine or Spiderwire, in that order. What braid you want really depends on you and what you want out of it. Some of them are created stiffer so that you aren't as likely to get it wrapped around your rod tip, which is something that you always have to watch for when you are using braid.

Usually, a manufacturer is pretty good about informing the buyers what characteristics are available in their lines. I strongly recommend that you look up the manufacturers online and read these bits they have written there about their lines to help you make your decision in what you want. I think this is more important for braid by far than it is for mono because when you buy braid, you're going to be able to continue to use it for several years before you need to replace it. I've got reels spooled with braid that is 15 years old and it's still good stuff with full strength.

As far as pound test for the lines that I prefer, I usually spool my spin reels with 8lb test. My level winds depend on what I intend to fish for with them. When my reel is used only for kokanee, or other such smaller fish, I like to use a 14lb test but when I'm gearing up for salmon fishing in the estuary I'm inclined to use 30lb test. I stay lighter on line for the spinning reels because I've found that I have less difficulty with line twist and rod-tip wrapping that way. Once I learned to use the palomar knot, I was amazed at how strong these lines are. I have found that even with the little 8lb line, if I become snagged and unable to retrieve my hook, I have to squeeze my drag down tight and aim my rod directly at the snag up and then pull very hard in order to break it off. And even then, most of the time it will straighten my hook and I'll get my gear back anyway. Just make sure you retie immediatly if this happens.

Personally, if they already have braid on them and I was unfamiliar with braid and all of its little quirks, I would leave the line that you have on them alone and try it out before I changed over to anything else. There are a lot of people who just never do get to where they like the braids. There are some things that you just have to do different in order to use them successfully and that's not what everybody is looking for. I use them myself because I love all the benefits they offer, but I would definately suggest that you try the braids that are on them first before you purchase new line that you may find you hate. Unless of course the line that is on there is rotten or weak or something.

Good luck and tight lines!
    Last edited by skookum9; 06-23-2011 at 11:43 PM.

skookum9,

Thank you for taking the time to write that up...very informative! Well then, who knows that braid on there may have mono backing on it already, I can email the fellow that sold them to me now and ask.

My fishing days ended just before I went into the Navy in 92' and all my experience was with mono. I'll have to learn more knots :) LOL, with our three boys (one a boy scout and the other a cub scout) we all thought we pretty much knew all the knots :)

-Roy

The Palomar knot is very easy to learn to tie and is the most recommended knot for braided line. It's basically just a modified overhand knot. It provides tremendous strength for terminal tackle. The best trick I learned for using it is that when I am rigging up with tackle like that which is required for trolling, I make my terminal knot to a duo-lock fastener so that it's much easier to tie and then I can just clip all the rest of the hardware to it. It makes changing up almost too easy.

So is a duo-lock like a swivel/clip? I follow your drift, sounds good.

It's a quick clip, similar to what you will find on a snap-swivel but different, and there is no swivel attached. Most all sporting goods stores carry this product. BiMart does, Dick's Sporting Goods does, Fisherman's does, Wholesale Sport's does, Cabela's does. I may not have the name quite right, or it may vary from brand to brand, but I think this is what they are called. The plastic flashers that are so popular among salmon fishermen for their low drag are usually sold with these attached to them. I have found that I can never have too many of these handy little devices on my boat and so I keep them by the dozens, and in various sizes.

Default I want to try Braid to save costly gear

While I'm new to the forum I am a long time Kokanee fisherman who has used 10 lb mono on my spool and 8 lb on my leaders for many years. Unfortunately, last week while trolling the bottom came up suddenly and I hung my new fishing cam up on a bunch of rocks. I turned the boat around and tried to get behind it but my line still broke and I lost everything. I'm now thinking about putting green 15 lb braided line on my reel and attaching my new fishing cam to that. The problem with this is my lure may only be 8 to 10 feet, depending on what I trolling, behind my braided line and I don't know if the braid will scare the fish off. I'm using Vance Kokanee spiral wounds rods with plenty of flex so I'm not worried bout the braided line not having enough stretch.I just thought I would run this by the group and see if it is even worth trying. Of course I could run my camera on the line for a day and if I don't catch anything at least I would be able to see what kind of reaction I get on video. Anyway, any advise would be welcome.

Thanks, Jim

Jim, would a "Y" swivel work with the camera directly to one arm of the swivel and the leader on the other?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I have a Water Wolf camera which is designed to be connected to the line which keeps the lure in line with the camera lens. I don't think I would be able to catch much action without keeping the camera on the line with troll and lure. I did put the braided line on my reel today so I should see how it works this week. I figured It's worth a try. I'll let you all know how it worked out.

PS: I love your rig. I had a 2004, 16 ft. Jet Craft with a 60 HP Yamaha for about 7 years and I loved it! Unfortunately, due to health problems, I sold it. After a few years of recovery I realized that selling it was a huge mistake so I bought a new 2013, 1400 Lund Fury. It's a small 20 HP Honda tiller but it is all I need for the kind of fishing I do.
    Last edited by trollingScotsman; 11-06-2017 at 07:29 PM.

I have the water wolf also. I feel braid is not a good idea using in conjunction with. I've lost enough lures trolling along or near the bottom using braid. The terrain in our lakes are not flat. Also I agree that the camera is designed to be used inline. It comes with about 3 different size weights to be used in the type of fishing you are doing along with the style of lure. I have 1 rod that's dedicated to the wolf using 25lb mono. Getting hung up and losing a wolf with a lure is an expensive rig as much as $175.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Roger, what would your reservations be of using heavy braid to the camera and light mono leader aft of the camera? Braid diameter is a fraction of mono so 25 lbs braid would look like 8 lbs mono diameter wise.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Default Breaded vs mono

I agree with super D x2 in the first part of the season, the kokanee are developing in size faster than bones there for soft mouth, were the Fsh are pulling off. Braided line compound the problem, I agree for jigging braided is absolutely fine. I'm a 10 # Max guy. Braided line is also a floating line also. I have been using Chamberlain releases for years braided line is slick doesn't work well with releases. In the salt that's all I use is braided lines for bottom fsh/ Salmon etc. I run 4 cannon DR these are my choices that work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    I have the water wolf also. I feel braid is not a good idea using in conjunction with. I've lost enough lures trolling along or near the bottom using braid. The terrain in our lakes are not flat. Also I agree that the camera is designed to be used inline. It comes with about 3 different size weights to be used in the type of fishing you are doing along with the style of lure. I have 1 rod that's dedicated to the wolf using 25lb mono. Getting hung up and losing a wolf with a lure is an expensive rig as much as $175.
    Sounds like good advice Bduck. The problem with fishing Shaver Lake Ca. is the old dam and saw mill are still at the bottom of the lake. If your not very careful you can get yourself in trouble really quick. I did spool the braid on my reel as I plan to go fishing tomorrow. I will give the braid a shot and replace it with a heavier mono as you suggest. I just want to be sure that I have every advantage in the event I need to try and retrieve my cam again. Thanks for the advice, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Roger, what would your reservations be of using heavy braid to the camera and light mono leader aft of the camera? Braid diameter is a fraction of mono so 25 lbs braid would look like 8 lbs mono diameter wise.
    That was my plan its just that I need to keep the troll and lure fairly close to the cam or I won't catch any of the action. I put 10 lb braid and it is so strong I couldn't break it. it is also very small and I don't think it will be seen. I will give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out then I will do like Bduck suggested and put a heavy mono on it. Thanks, for the input, Jim

No amount of strength of braid will keep it from getting shredded when it runs over sharp edges of the submerged Rocky Mountains. How many times have we all had to maintain the terrain as it changes with our downriggers, most of the time successful but there are those times we get caught off guard and lose a rig. For this reason none of my reels are not spooled with braid. It doesn't mean it still can't happen with mono but I have a better success rate keeping what I have. I do like the strength of braid at its smaller diameters but its not in my interest to lose a water wolf. Even with lead core I ended up cutting line after the bow would scrape ground. And yes I do use a lighter leader after the wolf. Only common sense would have me lose a lure rather than a wolf. Ive walked away as with many anglers leaving behind hooks, lines, and sinkers in many lakes. On occasion shedding a tear thinking "that was my favorite lure".
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    No amount of strength of braid will keep it from getting shredded when it runs over sharp edges of the submerged Rocky Mountains. How many times have we all had to maintain the terrain as it changes with our downriggers, most of the time successful but there are those times we get caught off guard and lose a rig. For this reason none of my reels are not spooled with braid. It doesn't mean it still can't happen with mono but I have a better success rate keeping what I have. I do like the strength of braid at its smaller diameters but its not in my interest to lose a water wolf. Even with lead core I ended up cutting line after the bow would scrape ground. And yes I do use a lighter leader after the wolf. Only common sense would have me lose a lure rather than a wolf. Ive walked away as with many anglers leaving behind hooks, lines, and sinkers in many lakes. On occasion shedding a tear thinking "that was my favorite lure".
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I always use lighter leader material past my water wolf. I think I will juat putting a heavier mono on my spool and use that rod for my cam . Thanks for the input, Jim

Default Chaimberlain Release

Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    --Anyone tried the Chaimberlain Release with braid?
    --It is magnetic adjusted and stainless wire so wouldn't have braid cutting issue.
    --I got one this winter but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    --The double setting ... release to rod and release to fish was what I was interested in as some of the lakes I fish tend to get some very small shore spawning kokanee on deep and doesn't trigger the downrigger.
    I do love the Chaimberlain Release once you get it set you don't have to worry about it until you change to something that has more drag. It would be hard for someone to get me to go to a different type of release.

I've been using braid for probably 10 years with great success. The chamberlain release is one of the primary reasons I switched - I had my mono snap at the loop I had twisted for the release several times. I'm a big fan of the release, so I switched to braid. I use eagle claw noodle rods and ultralight lamiglas and vance's koke rods so I feel like my hook to catch ratio is as good or better than it was on mono. I use 10 or so feet of 10lb mono or fluorocarbon on the business end of the rig. I generally use a double uniknot at the splice, and a fishin' fool knot for terminal tackle, but if you learn the palomar knot, you can tie it in the dark with your eyes closed. After a couple of years, I wind braid from one reel on to another, using what was the unused back end of the line up front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO7f...ature=youtu.be

I sent this to Dave

I use 12 p line fluorocarbon on my 4 koke rods I use to use 10 lb line I use a duo-Lock snaps on the end of that line.
    on the camera (back side to wards the fishing rod) I have a good barrel swivel.
    on the front of the camera (towards the dodger) I have a barrel swivel with interlock snap.
    then about 10" of leader to the dodger so the camera is about 15" away from the dodger (on that 10" leader I use duo-Lock snaps)
    I put silver tape on the side of the camera I think that brings fish to it.
    On the duo-Lock snaps I use a Palomar knot I have not lost one yet. but I have got water in by the O rings and lost two cameras that way (My fault).they have changed the new ones and they are a lot better.

I told him I use fluorocarbon but I use Pline Floroclear 12 test LB on my reals
    in the video there is a 36" leader from the dodger to the Lure using 15 lb Pline
    fluorocarbon
    after the water wolf you can see how I hook to the dodger
    I use a big scotty realse, here I'm fishing for cutthroat trout
    I have had 3 cameras out at the same time to see if kokanee go up are down, after you see them and go to the next set up.
    I'm down to one camera now

Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12