Thread: Using red for Kokes?

Default Using red for Kokes?

Based on the debate that seems to always exist about red lures losing color at depth, do any of you ever use red and under what circumstances?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I use red in the late fall to play with the red fish that have become very aggressive towards other red fish!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

How about early in the season when fish are high enough in the water column to see red asa real color?

I'm with 3Ms - I normally start having better luck with them later in the season (Julyish), but I have caught them on red earlier in the season as well.

I'll normally start the season running mainly green but if I have another rod in the water I will running a green over red pattern just to have both in the water. Maybe it's that great answer - IT DEPENDS

As far as red working for kokes I think it just depends on the lake your fishing. I've tried it up at Paulina with limited success but just up the road a bit at East Lake it works very well.

My experience is that pink and hot pink work better than red, with the exception of my home made wedding rings. I have made a few spinners using pink and pink glow but they have not produced.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

I use red gami hooks on most of my gear, it seems to work but might not matter if it is 50-70' down.Black might work the same.Interestingly Dave Biser mentioned that a bare red hook behind a dodger worked on some waters.

Quote Originally Posted by dlm View Post
    My experience is that pink and hot pink work better than red, with the exception of my home made wedding rings. I have made a few spinners using pink and pink glow but they have not produced.
    +1 Hot pink usually out fishes red early in the season.

I use red through out the season. I make fluorescent red beaded spinners that can be deadly in the spring when fishing shallow depths. In some of the lake that have very clear water, red is effective mid-day even at depth.

I was painting dodgers last night and tried one that started blue, blended at purple and then went to red. It looks gorgeous. Maybe used as a complimentary color will have a good effect.

Let's make sure we are talking about "true" red. Many times anglers think they are using red when in fact it's more orange.
    As for a true red, I use it all season. The red RGT (naked) without any blade early in the season with a long leader, 24 inches behind a silver or watermelon Sep's sidekick has worked well. Don't laugh, it works!!! Especaily in clear water when the kokes are not deep.
    Later in the season when I start to work schools or structure, the same red RGT with a small brass or gold Indiana blade fished really short behind the dodger is one of my go to set ups. I also use true red spinners fished the same way.

Mark

Mark, a naked RGT at 24" behind a side kick is basically a dead lure. I'm surprised it is effective without action. Although, a couple years ago I hung a ball and stopped the boat to get loose. While I was dead stopped and the lines hanging limp, I got a double! Funnest DR ball mess I've ever had!

I never had any luck with red. Of the 2 dozen kokes I caught last season at Nantahala all but 2 were caught on "hot pink" colored lures, bugs and hotchies. 2 were caught on green/chartrusse colored lures.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Mark, a naked RGT at 24" behind a side kick is basically a dead lure. I'm surprised it is effective without action. Although, a couple years ago I hung a ball and stopped the boat to get loose. While I was dead stopped and the lines hanging limp, I got a double! Funnest DR ball mess I've ever had!

Dave,
    Why are you surprised?? The last part of your post proves a lure does not need action work. It should also prove that kokes are not ball,boat,cable & line shy!! Been there, done that!!
    Back on topic, red will produce just like any other color. The fish will let you know when.

Mark
    Last edited by Mr. D; 02-09-2011 at 03:33 PM.

I've used red sweedish pimples for years ice fishing, aint working this year

I only use green for the attractor S.P. I posted the rest of the set up on the secrets thread.

Hope it helps.

This is an interesting discussion. I tend to agree with the theory that it is the lake (and/or the fish in it) that may make the difference My go to WR is 50/50 red/orange from mid May to mid July.....then it is time to chase bigger salmonids!
    K

Back in the day when Suttle had fish worth catching, and you could actually catch them, green was the color from sunrise to full daylight, then it was red and or pink. Green would produce consistently, but when it stopped it was time to switch.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    Dave,
    Why are you surprised?? The last part of your post proves a lure does not need action work. It should also prove that kokes are not ball,boat,cable & line shy!! Been there, done that!!
    Back on topic, red will produce just like any other color. The fish will let you know when.

Mark
    +1 +++++++++ There is a time and place for everything and I have seen and been out fished by those with dead lures and it drove me nuts! Not the norm but why not try it to see what the fish want.

I do have to say that in my mind the "red" RGT has a lot more orange in it than being a true red...is that just me?

Kevin
    Kokanee Adventures from above and below...
    www.youtube.com/hitechkoke