Thread: Converting jet outboard to prop

Question Converting jet outboard to prop

I'm looking at used boats and run into a lot of outboards with jet units on them. I might buy a boat with one of those if I could replace the jet with a prop lower unit. I had one guy tell me that it would cost about $1500 to make the switch. Does that sound right to you? It seems to me that most engines come with the prop lower unit and then they are converted to jets...making for a lot of prop lower unit inventory somewhere. What do you guys think?
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

That price sounds like it is for having the work done for you. I've seen brand new lower units advertised for about 1/2 that amount and of course it depends on what horsepower you're talking about.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I have heard its about that to go to a jet, but have paid double that to replace a damaged lower unit (installed). Somthing to watch is changing the height and what the bottom of the boat was intended for.....

Default Jet to Prop

Yes transon height will be an issue. Find someone that wants a jet pump (same motor, size,make, and year or close) and trade.

Thanks, guys...I just can't imagine where all those excess prop lower units end up. Don't all outboards come with one when new? If so, where to they go when the jet pump unit is put on?
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.

Monte, call Tim at Sacramento Performance Marine and ask him how hard it is to come by a surplus lower unit. He's super helpful and might have a resource for something like that we'd never know about.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Monte View Post
    Thanks, guys...I just can't imagine where all those excess prop lower units end up. Don't all outboards come with one when new? If so, where to they go when the jet pump unit is put on?
    Not at all, most outboard companies make jet versions of their outboards that never see a prop unit installed.
    08 20' Rogue Marine Pro Steelheader
    5.7 MPI Jet
    2 Cannon Mag 10 DR.
    Lowrance HDS 8
    16' Clacka Craft
    16' Fish Craft Cat

Quote Originally Posted by skyhammer View Post
    Not at all, most outboard companies make jet versions of their outboards that never see a prop unit installed.
    I didn't realize that...all the ones I've seen have been painted a different color than the engines they were on and seemed to be after-market add-ons.
    Age 65.

Monte,

Did you ever find a lower prop unit? I have a 115 hp Mercury that came from the factory as a jet. I have been thinking about getting a prop lower unit for it to put on during the summer months when I am fishing the lakes. Just curious what you found out.

Thanks, Ron
    21' North River
    5.7 Vortec
    Hamilton 212
    Yamaha T8 Kicker
    Minn Kota 80lb Terrova iPilot
    Scotty 1106 Downriggers (4)
    Lowrance LCX-25c

No, I didn't pursue it further. I ended up buying a boat with an outboard/prop drive. It seemed easier than trying to solve this problem. After having owned the boat for a few months now, I can tell you, there were enough problems to solve and improvements to make without fooling with the jet/prop conversion.
    Age 65.