Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucky Peak Kokes 2011

hey guys i am taking my 2 boys with me on sat. is there 2 boat ramps by the dam. the last time i put my boat in it was very steep ramp with a little dock that u could not tye down to. i thought that there was a ramp bye the dam with good docks. the little guys scare me enough with out having to deal with unloading and loading by myself and then tring to get them on the boat. i know the 1 by spring shores is good just dont want to drive all the way up there. is the other ramp out of the water ? or was i just notpaying atention

Nice to see you guys on the water Geno. Had to put in your time today but we managed to boat 12 nice sized kokes and 3 trout [aka sturgon bait]. Long, but great day with good friends. Saw incredible masses of fish on the new Garmin but it seemed like the only active biters were those in the top 15 feet of water. Water temp was 42.2 F when we got there around 930-10am, and only warmed up one degree by the time we got off the lake around 430-5pm.
    Last edited by BorntoFish01; 04-22-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Deano..awesome day for sure and great to see you on the water!

Gonna do it again tomorrow so I can smoke em all day on Easter....

Wouldnt be suprised if it is a differnt deal and we need to figure it out all over again!

gg

Quote Originally Posted by NAPER View Post
    hey guys i am taking my 2 boys with me on sat. is there 2 boat ramps by the dam. the last time i put my boat in it was very steep ramp with a little dock that u could not tye down to. i thought that there was a ramp bye the dam with good docks. the little guys scare me enough with out having to deal with unloading and loading by myself and then tring to get them on the boat. i know the 1 by spring shores is good just dont want to drive all the way up there. is the other ramp out of the water ? or was i just notpaying atention
    Naper...there is two ramps by the dam and it is the second one you want to use. But...because the lake is still not full you have to deal with the steep ramp and kind of crappy dock (but it is in the water). (Turner Gulch)

I always kept my kids in the rig while unloading and not anywhere else........what kind of boat you have. The lake is high enough where if you have a aluminum boat you can unload...and pull up ot the shore and anchor while you park your rig.

If I see anyone in a tough spot like you describe, I will help out but I agree it can be scray with the little ones.

gg

Friday. 4-22
    (*Violin playing*) …..Started my morning by almost falling in the water while launching (luckily I fell into the boat), then 5 minutes later I dumped my entire thermos of coffee in the bottom of my boat, picked-up my tackle box without latching the lid and dumped most of my tackle into the big pool of coffee, kicked my container of white corn over (into the pool of coffee), my trolling battery died after 30 minutes, and it goes on and on………After all that, I still hooked into 10-12 Kokes, “BUT” because the kokanee gods did not like me, I lost all but one (for various reasons). ……………………………Do you ever just have one of those days?
    15' Sea Nymph Muskie, 25hp Yamaha
    Tan w/Dark Blue bimini cover

Idahokokanee,

Just think, you got all of your potential accidents out the way, all in one day. Something tells me, that the rest of your fishing year will be reasonably problem free. You can honetly say each day of fishing was better than this day, the rest of the year.

One other option, I would encourgae you to keep your life jacket on from now on. That could be where this day is leading you to; so be prepared for.

Last edited by gonefishing; 04-24-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metalheadgene View Post
    Naper...there is two ramps by the dam and it is the second one you want to use. But...because the lake is still not full you have to deal with the steep ramp and kind of crappy dock (but it is in the water). (Turner Gulch)

I always kept my kids in the rig while unloading and not anywhere else........what kind of boat you have. The lake is high enough where if you have a aluminum boat you can unload...and pull up ot the shore and anchor while you park your rig.

If I see anyone in a tough spot like you describe, I will help out but I agree it can be scray with the little ones.

gg
    ya thanx for the heads up. i took my wife also and we put in at spring shores. just easy with out the stress. got 4 in the boat by noon today. lots of boats up there today. caught more trout that koke though. let them all go though. nice day all in all.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoLabs View Post
    I might go on Friday or Saturday also.

I have a Green Duckworth with gray top and usually 2 labs (hence the name TwoLabs)in the boat with me.
    hey was that u that i trolled byr today. i had my 2 boys and my wife driving. odler duckworth with silver top and 140 zuzuki jet pump. also a realy smokey 9.9 tuhotsu. just checking was a green duck with 2 guys no dogs though

Gonefishing,(laughing out loud) Wow, I never thought of it like that. That’s very encouraging. (Other than not having my life jacket on, and not drowning, how could it possibly get worse). You know, my life jacket was lying right next to me all day, you think I would have had a clue. ) …………all being said, after having a fabulous kokanee dinner tonight, I would swim out with just my underwear and a sharp stick to bring these things home. …………boy, these things taste good ).

Lot of boats and a lot of fish caught at the lake today. Picked up my first 5 fish without missing a single one. With one fish left to finish out my limit I then proceeded to "long distance release" at least five or six kokes before finally filling out my limit. Caught and released five trout throughout the day. Caught all my fish at 14 feet down, and it looked like most of the other boats that were catching fish were getting them in the top 15 feet of water. Many were caught top lining. Get out there while the getting is good.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

hey idahokanee I also was at lucky peak on friday and went home skunked. Hooked up on a few kokanee but couldn't land the fish. Are you using mostly pop gear or dodgers? I ran through every colored dodger in tackle box and didn't find the magic ticket. I guess that why they call it fishing and not catching at times. Hope to see you on the water I have a camo duroboat with a 20 horse merc.

Made it down to Lucky Peak with my wife on Saturday and did OK. Caught 4 kokes and 2 trout before my trolling motor went on the fritz and I had to quit. Had 1 pole at the surface, 1 at 12 feet and one at 21 feet. Caught fish on all of them. Sure was a beautiful day.

Just ordered replacement parts for the trolling motor with 2 day delivery so hopefully I'll be out there again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by koko71 View Post
    hey idahokanee I also was at lucky peak on friday and went home skunked. Hooked up on a few kokanee but couldn't land the fish. Are you using mostly pop gear or dodgers? I ran through every colored dodger in tackle box and didn't find the magic ticket. I guess that why they call it fishing and not catching at times. Hope to see you on the water I have a camo duroboat with a 20 horse merc.
    koko71, I think I remember seeing ya out there (near SS), were you alone? ...I started with pop gear on both rods, and switched over to dodger on one rod. Chrome dodger w/pink and white hootchie at about 5-10 feet down seemed to be the best on Friday (2 days earlier, only pop gear worked). But, because I lost my trolling battery Friday, I had to use my 25hp yammy to troll, .....too fast, and was rippin' lips before I could get it in neutral. Didn't get to go out Sat/Sun, so I'll try to get out Tue/Wed. ....Just hoping for an uneventful day. ) If ya see me out there, swing by and say hi.

Talking

I was at the east ramp, spring shores, sat am doing a self launch off the shore when my launch rope broke. my boat started fishing without me . boat was rescued by a kayaker. caught 1st koke of the year & 2 trout. l then trolled arrow, caught trout & sqaws. fed the sqaws to the eagles. i cooked too much bacon on my boat, now i can't feel my arterys

Quote Originally Posted by NAPER View Post
    hey was that u that i trolled byr today. i had my 2 boys and my wife driving. odler duckworth with silver top and 140 zuzuki jet pump. also a realy smokey 9.9 tuhotsu. just checking was a green duck with 2 guys no dogs though
    That was me. The dogs must have been sleeping. That was about the way our action was. We caught 4 lost 3 and landed 1 trout. I am really surprised with all the positive reports I sam seeing from this weekend. I thought the bite was extremely slow. Must be doing something wrong. We started at the base of Arrowrock dam but didn't have a bite and saw one fish caught. Very little action on the fish finder. Came back to Spring Shores and didn't do much better. Only 1 fisherman we talked to had done better. We only saw 2 fish boated by others. Left by 1:00. Was the afternoon bite better?

Need to fish down by the dam. Fish the top 15 feet or so of water. Lots of fish will show on sonar in deeper water but for the most part those fish are inactive. Crap shoot as to wht will be hot any particular day...wedding rings, hootchies, pop gear, dodgers, etc. Go with an open mind and adapt. Good luck.

For those deep fish, try Glow in the dark Hoochies Both Green, Pink and orange colors with a 5-6 " dodger that has a glow in the dark strip though the middle of it. Tie the Hoochies no more that 10" behind your dodger. That helps alot for those deep fish! Be sure and charge those glow hoochies up.

Another trick is to troll into the school below the fish and then pull free from your down rigger and reel your gear up right through the middle of them. Use pop gear and a wedding ring when you try this approach.

Keep your set back no more that 30 ft behind the boat when you do this so that you know that you are in the middle of the fish when you crank your gear up though the school. I usually disengage the trolling motor when I do this.

Another way to get these fish, depending on how many fish in the school and the size of the school is to troll a tight circle through them over and over. Trolling a straight line through the school cuts your odds of hooking up way down.

Couple of ideas worth trying, especially if the deep fish are bigger.
    Last edited by gonefishing; 04-28-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks guys for the advice. i probably learned more in a minute from you than I have in four years of fishing. Hope to see you around.

Wow, very, very windy today. 5 kokes in the boat (all 14” +), 2 lost at the net (they were being very feisty today, most were jumping out of the water 25 feet from the boat), 7 more lost before the boat (3 because of fishing reel malfunctions, UHRG!) 4 small trout (released). …..Other than the wind and snow (yes, I said snow) it was a very, very fun afternoon. ) .........looks like the water level is starting to rise again.

Fishing was a little tougher for me this morning. I picked up three keeper kokes and released two trout and a small koke before I had to leave LP at noon. Another gentleman figured them out faster than I could and left the lake with a limit around ten. Hope this warm forecast will jumpstart the fish again.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

well the word is out. we fished the dam and there was 8 to ten including us in the moning, by about 2 there had to be twenty boats fishing. water was cold and murky and we caught 3 and had a few good bites that didnt work out. the fish seemed to scattered but we found one good pocket of them. Hopefully get back out during the week.

Went out today at 11am. Made one swing by the dam and immediately left that mad house. Trolled down the shoreline and found a little pocket of fish and ended up with 11 and missed 5 or 6 others. We even caught a couple on a small rapala on my lead core I put out for rainbows. A very good day on the lake.

We whacked 'em good yesterday. Surprised how many small koks we caught (and released).

Had a good run Sat/Sun. limited, but also lost as many as we caught. released quite a few little ones too. ...................was anyone else caught in that mess at the dock around 3:30-ish must have been 15 or more boats waiting to trailer. Took us almost 45 minutes to get my boat out of the water. .....for those of you who do not know, loading/unloading your boats should never take more than 2 minutes, and should actually be less than 1 minute. Especially when you've got 20 people using one little 15 foot dock. )

I was lucky( I Guess). I fished the dam on Friday in the snow. i was the only boat there until 3:00. Ended up catching 10 kokanee and 4 rainbow and could have limited if I hadn't ran out of time and could have dealt with the wind better. In fact my motor ate a flasher when the wind suddenly changed right as I was putting out a down rigger.

That was my best day so far. Every fish was in the 13-16" range.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast