Thread: C'mon Carp!

Default C'mon Carp!

There has been a great deal of concern by state biologists around the West due to Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS). Both Zebra & Quaga Mussels are getting the bulk of the attention. The only attempt to prevent the spread of AIS is through awareness programs and the ocassional mention of someone having their boat pressure steam cleaned. Personnaly, I don't believe that an awareness campaign is an effective tool when actual inspections are waived based on someone's "honest" word.

There may be hope though? The latest issue of In-Fisherman magazine reports that these AIS may be controlled through natural predation. Following are a few excerpts from the article written by Bruce M. Carlson.

"Extensive resources have been spent trying to devise methods of controlling their spread. One question is whether any of our native fish species could control zebra mussel density in infested lakes through predation."

"Whether or not predation by fish can have a significant effect in controlling zebra mussel density is too early to determine, but there is the possibility that populations of species that eat mussels will expand because of a new and plentiful food supply. In-Fisherman editors have also observed zebra mussels in mass quantities in the stomachs of blue and channel catfish and common carp."

C'mon CARP

Yeah...it's about time someone found a good use for carp. I know some cultures see carp as a great delicacy, but I haven't had that experience.
    Age 65.
    20 ft. Jetcraft. 90hp Evinrude Etec, 8hp Yamaha kicker, Minn Kota electric troller. Electric 1106 Scotty downriggers, Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS. Airmar P66.
    Also have a 15 ft. Gregor. 25hp Yamaha electric 2-stroke. Two electric 1106 Scotty downriggers. Lowrance HDS7 Fish Finder/GPS.