Thread: Smoked Kokes...

Default Smoked Kokes...

Just got done smoking a batch...first time I've done a dry brine. This recipe was shared on another fishing site I'm on and turned out really good. Here's the main ingredients:

4 cups of brown sugar
    1 cup of pickling salt (I used kosher salt)
    4 tablespoons rosemary
    3 tablespoons oregano
    3 tablespoons basil
    3 tablespoons of bay leaf

This was mixed and layered between the fillets...put in the refer and rinsed off in the morning. Alder chips were used in the smoking process. Removed after around 4 hours and will sit in the refer overnight before vacum packing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSCN0172.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	1757  

looks good! I might have to try that out here soon. Cross my fingers.. I am going to go after some sockeye, with a 6 fish limit we should have plenty of fish to smoke. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
    Just got done smoking a batch...first time I've done a dry brine. This recipe was shared on another fishing site I'm on and turned out really good. Here's the main ingredients:

4 cups of brown sugar
    1 cup of pickling salt (I used kosher salt)
    4 tablespoons rosemary
    3 tablespoons oregano
    3 tablespoons basil
    3 tablespoons of bay leaf

This was mixed and layered between the fillets...put in the refer and rinsed off in the morning. Alder chips were used in the smoking process. Removed after around 4 hours and will sit in the refer overnight before vacum packing.
    thats a pile of kokes!!!
    been using basicly the same dry brine for the last 15 years, the idea is to pull the liquid out of the meat and preserve it, that is what the salt and sugar does, the rest of the ingrediants give a little flavor but really not needed. You will be happy with the results, try not to over smoke it where the fish gets tough, you want some mosture left in the fillets. makes a mean salmon dip!!!

It is very good indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by twisted lines View Post
    It is very good indeed!
    Thanks again for the heads-up on the recipe Chris... I just hope I have something left to vacume pack tomorrow! That was one tasty batch of kokanee!!