Thread: Rod position for downrigger!

Default Rod position for downrigger!

I have been running my rod Holder about 3' in front of my downriggers with the rod pointed nearly straight out and up around 5-10 degrees prior to being loaded, I prefer this positon over the rod holder on the boom what works best for you? What positions do you put them for stacking upper & lower? Thanks; TL

I run my deep lines about like you do to the side,my shallower stacked lines go straight out the back of the boat.Usually the lines clear when a fish is on,unless you get a wild fish that weaves your lines.

I have tried a few different setups... off to the side, out the back, etc. I actually have come to really prefer my dual rod holder on my cannon downrigger. When a fish hits either line it clears the other most of the time (proper spread helps increase the odds of avoiding tangles). Once youre fighting a fish, your other rod remains fishing in its place. I know its all preference, but in my opinion... the factory dual holder is pretty slick.

Default question

I have a question, how do you get the stacker clip to stay at the depth you want on the cable? i pinch the clip on the cable and it always is about 2 feet lower then when i started when i bring it up ? please help.

Gene

Hmm, I've had my stacker slide up, but I dont remember ever having it end up lower. What kind of stacker are you using?

I have Scotty downriggers and I use the little plastic thingys that you weave onto the cable. They make them for the cables and for the braided lines so you have to be careful which one you get. I put new braid on one downrigger this weekend and used one of the ones pictured below but it still slid on the line, so I just took a double wrap on one end and that secured it. The stacker clip will not slide up past these little fellas.

David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

I had a stacker clip come out of the package where the part of the spring that grips the cable was a little loose. I used a needlenose pair of pliers to bend the inside part of the spring to make bite a little harder.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

When it comes to stacking, there is only one solution...Shuttle Hawk!!!

I use them on Kokes, Macks, Bulls, you name it. As simple as it gets and you set the depth exactly everytime via your pulls or line counter on reels.

For the money, and if you only have hand cranks...you can't go wrong.

super D has what I use. It never move on me. scotty beads are a great Idea for every make of downrigger. I use scotty's and carry extra beads.

Default Locked on stacker clip!

Here is how I lock my stacker clip on takes a little longer but I never loose them any more and the stacker beads (With operator error) are what knocks them off; Never had them slide......... TL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stacker Clip 003.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	1676  

Default thank you

thanks to all for the response I think with these tips I will be able to keep the clip from moving... and it was moving up not down on me I was back wards.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post

I had a stacker clip come out of the package where the part of the spring that grips the cable was a little loose. I used a needlenose pair of pliers to bend the inside part of the spring to make bite a little harder.
    +1 for these clips. I use them for my main a foot above the ball as well as any stacking further up the wire!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

You cant imagine how hard I was racking my brain trying to figure out why a clip would move down on you! lol Glad I'm not going crazy. You got some great tips on keeping your stackers where you want them. This forum is great for getting answers and tweaking your setups. So, keep the questions coming!