Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadwood

Default Deadwood

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and new to the kokanee fishing. I have never been to Deadwood Res. I have heard that it is another hot spot for Kok's is this true? My setup right now is a 12 inflatable raft with 30lb minkota tolling motor. I have most of the gear wedding rings/spoons and dodgers/flashers.
    I would like to know your input on the Dipsy Divers (since I don't have DR's) and a kokanee setup. I used to use a similar set up for Coho's back in South Dakota. I have two 9' rods both with line counters and 10lb test mono is this too lite of line for the dipsy Magnums?
    Any input would be great.

DV
    Last edited by Kokezero; 07-08-2011 at 10:58 AM.

With the Line Counter Reels and the Divers you should be golden. Having experience running them in the past as you do will be a great asset in knowing your depth!

Where is Deadwood?

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Don
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Thanks for the info MMM. I have a couple of Lure Jenson Dipsy Diver Magnums. They say with the o-ring they can be trolled down to 100'.
    The big question for me, is 10lb Trilene XL mono too light to pull these divers down 20' to 50' of water. Because on all the info I have found said use 20lb test. But that was a setup for Chinook and Coho. So if you or anyone has any info on this please let me know.

Also Deadwood Res. is located North West of Lohman and Garden Valley.
    Happy Fishing!!

DV

Head up past warm lake and onto the gravel road after you get to the top and onto the flat area. Make a right turn when you come to the Y in the road. That will take you to deadwood and is the best road to go on.

My fist trip up there was with a drift boat and a electric motor. We caught roughly 75 Kokes in 3 days. The fish are smaller but it is a great place to camp and there are lots of Kokanee.

A friend and I are going up to deadwood this weekend. I hear the roads are a little rough. I'll get back to you when I get home. Welcome aboard.

Default Deadwood Res.

Just wondering if anyone has been up to Deadwood Res and if the Kokes are hitting and at what deapth and gear? Also when is it too late to fish for kokanee? And are the kokes ok to eat when they change colors? This is my first time fishing for these so I don't know much.
    Last edited by Kokezero; 07-08-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokezero View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has been up to Deadwood Res and if the Kokes are hitting and at what deapth and gear? Also when is it too late to fish for kokanee? And are the kokes ok to eat when they change colors? This is my first time fishing for these so I don't know much.
    Good question! Im also a newb to kokanee and was thinking about doing a camping trip in July at Deadwood. Anybody have any advice??
    Last edited by Moose1908; 05-02-2011 at 08:44 PM.

In regards to your inquiry re color and quality of meat, I would not bother with them when they get past a faint coloration. Welcome to the site. Mike

I highly doubt anyone will be going to deadwood anytime soon! I flew up there via helicopter April 20th and the reservoir was still completely frozen over and there was 3 to 4 feet of snow still on the ground. Anyone planning on going up should check with the forest service to see when the roads are open. With this weather it will be quite some time. The camping and fishing up there is great. Lots of fish, but they are small. Probably around 9-13". I have worked up there for a number of years now and can provide any other information. The advice on the warm lake route is correct. It is the best road, but the fastest route is Scott Mountain road. That road won't be open for some time. We always take the Bear Valley route when pulling our boat in. I think it is the 579 road. Early in the year downriggers won't even be needed. Plus if you can get up there early the cuts and rainbows hit hard. Lots of fun.
    Lucky

You are certainly right about the early cuttthroat bite. My fellow teachers and myself used to try to be the first in each spring. We would take a boat to the inlets, get out and hike up a bit more. The streams would be packed with big cutts. It doesn't last long, however. If memory served me right, it was typically late May before we could get up to the reservoir. On some years, we would have to go up to the road by Stanley to get to Bear Valley. Mike

I would save your gas! Plan on fishing Deadwood in June.

Quote Originally Posted by ValleyCounty View Post
    I would save your gas! Plan on fishing Deadwood in June.
    June vs July? If so why? The only reason im asking is because i wont be able to go until July.

You should be fine fishing in July. You might just miss the cutthroat bite which is very fun, but the Kokanee fishing will still be good. There is a crew flying up to Deadwood today, so I'll have some info on how much snow is up there and how much ice is still on the reservoir later this afternoon.
    Lucky

Thanks lucky!! Any advice on where to fish and at what depth?

I just got the report. The lake is still fully iced over. It is starting to melt off where all the tribs are coming in. The airstrip is still fully covered with 1' of snow. Scott Mountain has a ton of snow on it still. Will be sometime before getting up there.

Moose: I've only fished a few times up there for Kokes since most of the time I'm working. We have fished in the evening and have caught plenty of fish. Seems like I've never had to go below 15' to catch fish and this is later in the year. Actually to think about it, we have never had downriggers and just used leaded line. 2 or 3 colors max. We have fished directly across from the cabins (SW) area. If you are serious, I can probably get you a gps coordinate using google earth.
    Lucky

no need to worry about gps coordinates. The SW description should get me in the ball park. I wont be able to get up there till July, but when i do, i will post the results when i get back down in the valley. Until then i'll keep researching and pestering you guys with questions Thanks again lucky!!

Next time you are in Boise, stop in at the corner of 28th St. and Good, and look for the night crawlers sign. The retired teacher that sells worms there spends 1 1/2 months at Deadwood, fishing for kokes every day. He knows more about that fishery than most. Buy a dozen worms, and ask him about details. He will be generous in sharing "secrets". Mike

Default Deadwood

Best you go in July..Weather in June still has some snow.... Take the Warm
    Lake road in..but understand it still is very washboard type of road. My
    suggestion for you ...is a almost sure set-up. I would use lead-core, then you
    can experiment a little..maybe 3 colors, then 4 colors until you hit the fish. Using a dipsy-diver is not very accurate. Fish the inlet all the way to the
    island, always had good luck with that area lots of cutthroats, bring corn & worms for your wedding rings, this is a very beautiful area should see lots
    of wildlife etc bring your camera..........good luck

Awesome!! Thanks again everyone, you've all been great help!

we'll be up there in july. never made it up there last year, but the year before was outstanding. i think we were a bit late on the cutts, but heard guys were catching some monsters.

Smile Deadwood July Trip

After seeing Ken's update on Deadwood I planned a trip for this weekend. I will get some pictures posted as I return on Sunday... So far the only way in to Deadwood is FR 579 through Bear Valley long trip so I hope the fish are on.

Happy fishing everyone!!!!!

Default Deadwood gear?

I went to dead wood this weekend, I float tubed and drug power bait and / or night crawlers. I caught 2 16" rainbows but no signs of Kokanee. What kind of gear should I use to catch kokanees' non rolling. I do use wedding rings as well. And advice on a area to fish is also quite appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokezero View Post
    After seeing Ken's update on Deadwood I planned a trip for this weekend. I will get some pictures posted as I return on Sunday... So far the only way in to Deadwood is FR 579 through Bear Valley long trip so I hope the fish are on.

Happy fishing everyone!!!!!

jimmyjav, do you have a FF on your float tube? Kokes are deep and need to be trolled for or jigged if you are in the vicinity of the fish.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

No not currently but I could change that this week (-; Are there area that are preferred to fish? I noticed lots of boats out from the boat ramp on the opposite side of the lake trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjav View Post
    No not currently but I could change that this week (-; Are there area that are preferred to fish? I noticed lots of boats out from the boat ramp on the opposite side of the lake trolling.
    Jimmyjav,

I saw you out there kicking around. You were certainly in an area with plenty of fish. It sounds like a cliche, but if you want to catch Kokanee use Kokanee gear. If I was going to try to catch trout, I would use night crawlers and power bait... :-). Try shoe peg corn (white) and troll around nice and slow. Just tip any type of Kokanee rig with corn and you catch them. You will still catch trout too. Kokanee are at every depth from 30' up to the surface. They were jumping on the surface all day last weekend.

Fish are literally everywhere so I don't know if it matters where you are at. As for the jigging, you are on your own. I never tried it before. I imagine as long as you had some corn on any sort of hardware you could jig some.

On a side note, if you are catching 16" rainbows, why on earth would you want to catch the dinky kokes up there? I get that they taste good, but the biggest one I've caught in there this year was about 9" or so. You can catch a lot bigger kokes at LP or AR. I think they are larger at times, but certainly not this year.

Enjoy the 16" trout and have fun.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast