Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lure Making is Spendy!

Hagens just arrived!

Last edited by MMDON; 06-25-2010 at 10:01 PM.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Now the fun begins.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM View Post
    Some bags of blades:

The Gami bag of blades I have yet to see; appreciate any info you can share, or a picture of one you have assembled, The radical glow collection is oh so nice!

The Gami Bag probably had steelhead jigs in it. It looks like Mac's Lure smile blades. I ended up with 250 of them in a shared bulk buy a while back so they were just put in that bag because it's small. Haven't put together a lure yet. I'm now in the process of dipping 500 beads in UV blast before the assembly can begin. Every dark bead that is plastic will be dipped before lure assembly can begin. I want to build spinners with contrasting color combinations of glow and UV parts. Something for all seasons if you will.

A note on dodger tapes. I wasn't happy with the stuff I received from Hagens. The dodger eyes were good but the tape just didn't have the lights or reflective glow I'm looking for. The tape from Tap Plastics was very nice and I would second Dave's recommendation for their products. I'm still sorting through companies looking for the best of each component. It is always a long and protracted and expensive process to get it right. I went through this same process when I developed a line of Salmon River spinners. I'll post up what I built for those.

This project took almost 6 months before I began twisting wire for high quality spinners. These spinners are all built on the highest quality Silver blades vs. the Chrome that just mirror the water color and provide no contrast at depth.

Salmon Spinners:

Last edited by MMDON; 06-25-2010 at 10:03 PM.

The last of my tape order arrived yesterday. My Gorge dodger selections are now complete.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

They look great Dave. I'm still hunting for decent tape for my Green Dodgers as well as a few others!

I don't know if you can get it quick enough but the Mad River tape I told you about had very nice looking green. In fact, I'll bring it to the Gorge or Clark so you can use some.

I just placed a $40.00 order with them. I hope it ships Monday!

I just placed a $40.00 order with them. I hope it ships Monday!
    Call and ask for bruce. I got the impression that Mad River only gets in touch with F307 occassionally to check for orders. A phone call might guarante a faster turn around than I had.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Call and ask for bruce. I got the impression that Mad River only gets in touch with F307 occassionally to check for orders. A phone call might guarante a faster turn around than I had.
    I appreciate the heads up Dave! I'll call him first thing Monday morning!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    The last of my tape order arrived yesterday. My Gorge dodger selections are now complete.

Dave, Those are going to do very nice at the Gorge. I especially like the purple one. That caught my eye.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

This project took almost 6 months before I began twisting wire for high quality spinners. These spinners are all built on the highest quality Silver blades vs. the Chrome that just mirror the water color and provide no contrast at depth.

Salmon Spinners:

MMM, Your catch rate is going to sky rocket. I like the wire twist idea.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    I like the wire twist idea.

I Too thought the wire Idea would work very well for Kokanee, but soon found I was cutting hundreds of lures apart, when I fished side by side with beads on line the wire wouldn't work! Only my opinion, what I am trying to say is don't build too many but have a ball I did and save the wire for the bigger salmon, they don't mind it. TL

The wire spinners are made for fishing King Salmon in the rivers.

I only use 12lb Maxima Ultragreen for my Koke spinners.

I've tied up 10 of each single color tandem hook ties and now I'm working my way through all of my double egg ties. Next will be combos of Green, Chart, Purple, Blue, White, Red and Orange. I'm in the process of heading towards Hoochie, Hoochie Spinner, Hoochie Smile Blade, and Spinner Combos. I need roughly 250 preties to complete this tying process and still have back up preties in each color on the boat to replace broken rigs or to create new combos on the boat!

Here a look at some of my pink combos and my faithful fishing and tying partner! The patterns will turn into Pink/Purple, Pink/Blue, Pink/White, Pink, Purple/Pink and Blue/Pink combos.

Princess:
    Last edited by MMDON; 06-25-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Looking good MMM! Are you useing different weight line for the hoochies and spinners? Do you stick to a predetermined leader length (one length for the spinners and one length for hoochies) or are you making up a variety? With your lure bag storage system do different box's store lures with certain length leaders or do you mark the lengths on the bags? Do you tie up all your rigs with a loop knot for attaching to the dodger?

I basically tie two versions. One version, the ones you have been seeing are my Gorge supply. They all start with 28" of Maxima Ultragreen #12. The trailer hook is a #4 and the main hook is a #2. They can be used either for spinners or hoochies and I have a combination of colors either tied with a single or double soft egg bead. Most of my everyday combinations are tied the same way only using two #4 hooks in tandem and #10 Maxima Ultragreen for the leader. Once the spinner or hoochies are done I simply wrap the line around two fingers 5 rolls and then put the tag end around the coil three times so they won't come unwound. Then I toss them into the bag. Depending on the dodger and the speed I'll tie a surgeons loop at the desired length at the time I put it on the rod. All of my leaders are eventually attached by this loop. My finished hoochie leaders are generally tied at 6 to 10 inches and my spinner leaders can be anything from 12 to 18" depending on water temps, clarity, speed and dodger type. Part science and the rest is just dumb luck.
    Last edited by MMDON; 06-20-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Blue/Glo, Blue/Purple, Purple/Glo, Purple/Blue:

Last edited by MMDON; 06-25-2010 at 10:05 PM.

I've been tying all my bag leaders at 18" and leaving the end untied. That gives me freedom to used the leader on anything and adjust lengths on the boat.

Don, did you get purple glow bead by dipping or buying?

The purple was dipped.

Dave, your white sparkle hoochies went out this morning.

mmm,
    great spinners with the colors and construction.
    gave me some ideas of a small willow double blade in that chartruse green with same beads maybe in glow.
    like the tubing on the hook shank to keep the hook straight and not flopping around
    may experiment with drop back double tie hooks on 6" leader with hoochie
    I take my Omega 3 one Koke at a time. 5 Kokes a day keeps the fisherman happy.

Glad you like them. It's fun inventing your own stuff!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast