Thread: can anybody show me a picture of gibbs minnows jig

Default can anybody show me a picture of gibbs minnows jig

there are alot of jumpers out at lake billy chinook and would like to give that technique a try, but don't really know what the jig looks like.

Here is some information on "how to fish it" and a link that has a picture of it.

http://www.gibbsfishing.com/tips_tec...ibbsminnow.asp
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

TriTs used to have a web site, not sure if it is still there but has a lot of good info pink gibbs minnows. Good luck....Dave

These are Gibbs Minnows...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSCN0148.JPG 
Views:	713 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	1521  

Just so you know..... While Gibbs Minnow's are my favorite, for a few different reasons, they are not the only lure that will catch these fish effectively. There are some times when they might outfish other jigs but usually the Buzz Bomb's, Zinger's, Nordic's and all the others out there work just as well so don't be afraid to try them if you can't find a Gibbs. I just happen to like some things about the Gibbs better. I also typically do my best with either orange or pink and white, mostly because that's all I ever use. But don't let that make you think others don't do well with some other colors.

Default Pictures of all of the Gibbs Minnow

Hi dawson1922 Here is the site for seeing all of the colors of the Gibbs Minnow http://www.gibbsfishing.com/products_minnow.asp I live in Central Oregon and go to all of the lakes over here. I use and recomend the Pink Hex Gibbs Minnow 1/4 to 1/2 ounce size. The Pink Pearl in the same sizes works well also. Steve

hey thanks alot for the info. I give them a shot, it sounds like they work well at odell but im going to try them at lake billy chinook. I was there last week and between 2 boats we only managed to land 7 small ones on sat and sunday. With all the fish I saw jumping this might be the better way to fish.

They also work well on Billy Chinook. So far I've yet to find water that they won't work on at least a little bit, as long as the fish are on or near the surface. Once the koke's descend to more than about 40ft of water I don't do so well with them. I always do my best when the fish jump but only because in this way I know where the school is at. I still catch fish this way even when fishing "blind". Good luck out there and I hope you catch your belly full. Happy fishing.

Default Gibbs Minnow

I fish Billy Chinook all of the time. Just look for where they are jumping and cast past them. When the Lure hits the water let it sink for 2 or 3 seconds and start to jig back to the boat. Small jigs as you reel in line. If you to to the cliffs just East of the Island that is where we get mos of our Kokes this time of year. On March 1st opening day at this same spot I was fishing with a 1/4 ounce Pink Hex Gibbs Minnow with 4lb test and my small pole and caught a 14 1/2 pound 31 inch Bull Trout as you can see here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drq3ludJAi4 So yes the Gibbs Minnow works on a variety of fish. I catch German Browns, Trout and Kokanee at East Lake with them too. Steve

nice fish, i have seen some big bull trout caught there but thats by far the biggest. Bet it was fun using 4lbs line. The fish would have looked a little bigger if you were wearing a litle orange and black!!! thanks for the info hope i can land a hog like that.

do you guys use corn on them and if so on all the hooks? have you ever switched out the trebel hook for a single?

Default Ducks Fan

Ha! I would rather wear green then Halloween Beaver Roses taste Soooo Good

Dawson, in answer to your question, no, I do not use corn, or any other bait, on my jigs. I have tried it in an attempt to make the jigs more effective, usually when the fishing was a bit slow. But the results I have had always lead me to believe that bait is a waste of time and money on these jigs. I suspect that this may not be the case when vertical jigging, but I am talking about casting a jig and retrieving it in a more or less horizontal presentation. When fishing like this it has always been counter productive to add bait to my jig. It typically seemed that the strikes would come less frequently with bait. This may have been the case or it may have just been my imagination but what I know is true was that it took important fish catching time away every time I tried to bait up. If you get it right, when the fish are jumping pretty good on the surface, you will likely be getting at least one strike on every cast, without the use of bait. In my book, that's pretty tough to improve on.

I have not tried the siwash hooks to replace the treble hooks with yet but I have thought about it. I have tried clipping one barb of the treble hooks off with mixed results. The thought was that by eliminating one barb the fish would likely take the hook better and more importantly be easier to take off of the hook once landed. What I found was that by switching the factory treble's over to Owner's or Gami's, they work so well I haven't had the heart to change them and so never came to any real conclusions on this theory. If you choose to try the siwash hooks, let me know how it works out for you, I'd love to hear all about it.

ya, if it's not broke don't fix it. All try them just how there are and see how the do. thanks for the help.

I'm a vertical jigger... we usually try corn on one side of the boat and the other side without to see which they prefer. The majority of the time gel scent is all that's necessary but there have been days where corn seemed to help.

Where's the best place to buy the Gibbs minnows?

Bi-Mart usually has them.

If BiMart is out of stock of the color you want you can try Fisherman's or Wholesale Sports. They both carry them and usually in better selection than the BiMart here where I live.

Thanks guys!